Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Old June 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

E Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:54:38 -0400, pltrgyst
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:43:23 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The MX5 is the car that the British sports car should have been.

>> Considering that the MX-5 first appeared ten years after the demise of the
>> affordable British sports car, that should probably be "would have been ten
>> years later."
>>

> MG didn't stop production before the first Miata was released -
> weren't they making cars up until last year? How were those?
> epbrown

MGBs were last made in 1980 IIRC.
Thee were cars produced in limited numbers after that that bore the MG
nameplate, but they were hardly comparable.
Old June 19th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>Exactly.
>
>I don't think the MGs were a bundle of joy in that department.
>
>The best car is a RELIABLE car and the MX5 was that when it launched, was it
>not?

Bah. Real sportscars only work weekends.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old June 19th 06, 10:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:46:37 +0100, Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Exactly.
>
> I don't think the MGs were a bundle of joy in that department.

Actually, MGs were pretty much bulletproof, and still make a reliable
everyday proposition nowadays.

> The best car is a RELIABLE car and the MX5 was that when it launched,
> was it not?

Yup. The MX5/Miata may have looked a little like an Elan but it was
definitely the spiritual successor to the dear old MGB. And there's
nothing wrong with that.

(If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit sportscar,
then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

- Robin

--
Trout: Slightly fishy but never coarse. http://www.troutmag.org

Old June 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Robin Parkinson > wrote:
> Yup. The MX5/Miata may have looked a little like an Elan but it was
> definitely the spiritual successor to the dear old MGB. And there's
> nothing wrong with that.

It *is* the spiritual successor to the Elan - that's what it was modelled
on. Superb handling, decent comfort, good steering, gearbox, brakes and
willing engine. Not just out and out performance, but fun to drive.

Really not a lot like a 'B' - however nice they can be. But I always
thought the Spriget a better car than the B.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 19th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Robin Parkinson > wrote:
> (If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit
> sportscar, then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

I'd have said it's closer to a Stag. The Healey is a brutal heavy car to
drive...

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Old June 19th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article >,
> Robin Parkinson > wrote:
>> Yup. The MX5/Miata may have looked a little like an Elan but it was
>> definitely the spiritual successor to the dear old MGB. And there's
>> nothing wrong with that.

> It *is* the spiritual successor to the Elan - that's what it was modelled
> on. Superb handling, decent comfort, good steering, gearbox, brakes and
> willing engine. Not just out and out performance, but fun to drive.

I understand when the original Miata was first introduced to the press
in Japan, a nice original Lotus Elan - and nothing else - was on hand
for comparison.
The first Miata I ever saw was an autocrosser that was painted in
the classic Lotus two-tone colors
Old June 19th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:16:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>Of course it's more reliable than cars with points ignition and carbs.

Especially *multiple* carbs. Especially SU's.

Uni-Syn fans, anyone? 8

-- Larry

Old June 19th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:21:17 +0100, Robin Parkinson > wrote:

>(If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit sportscar,
>then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

Dead-on.

-- Larry

Old June 19th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:32:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>I'd have said it's closer to a Stag. The Healey is a brutal heavy car to
>drive...

The Stags I drove felt more nose-heavy than my TR-8.

Now maybe a TVR...

-- Larry

Old June 20th 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:21:17 +0100, Robin Parkinson >
> wrote:
>
>>(If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit sportscar,
>>then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

> Dead-on.
>
> -- Larry

My Z4 reminds me a bit of the Jensen-Healey I nearly bought in the 70's.

Tom K.