Welding MGA Frame

Old October 8th 03, 02:09 PM
Benj

Default Welding MGA Frame

I have just purchased a 1961 MGA MKII and I need to repair the rusted
frame. I have done some arc welding in the past, but never on a car,
nor one with positive ground (if that makes a difference). There is
no battery in the car right now, so I don't have to worry about that.
Do I need to remove the gas tank? any other electronic components?
Old October 8th 03, 02:57 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

That model MG uses a points type ignition so there should be no
worries about damaging anything. You will get better results with a
MIG than with an arc welder. As for the tank... it takes only about 3
minutes to remove and if you are welding near it it won't hurt to
remove it. Remember a nearly empty tank is infinately more explosive
than a full tank. If you have a rusty frame then there is a good
chance you have a rusty or thin walled fuel tank. Removal will confirm
this and provide a chance to take it to a radiator shop to have it
boiled.

Old October 8th 03, 05:35 PM
Benj

Thanks for the info. That answers all of my questions, but here are a
few more questions for a little more knowledge.

If it had an electronic ignition system, what should I do?

What will boiling the tank do for me? What should I expect to pay for
this?

Old October 8th 03, 05:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Benj wrote:

> What will boiling the tank do for me?

They don't actually boil it - they dip the tank in a hot caustic solution. This
removes any rust and cleans the metal pretty thoroughly.

> What should I expect to pay for this?

I just had the inside of a motorcycle tank done for $75.

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.
Old October 9th 03, 04:31 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

If your ignition is either CDI or HEI you might want to remove the
control box, coil and or distributor cap/coil combo. Grounding the
vehicle chassis to a common electrical (AC or earth) ground point
should prevent any damage to any components.