Help with 1989 Cherokee XJ LTD rough idle and acceleration

Old October 29th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NT

Default Help with 1989 Cherokee XJ LTD rough idle and acceleration

Hi:

I'm hoping some of you XJ fans can offer some suggestions on a problem that
just happened to me today for the first time.

First of all, the specs: 1989 Cherokee LTD (XJ), inline 6 cylinder, 4 litre,
with 150k Km's (ie: relatively low mileage, or more accurately 'kilometerage'
for the year).

I drove to Costco this morning, about a 15 km drive. Everything was fine on
the drive there but when I started the truck up to come home (1/2 hour
later), it was idling roughly and would stumble quite a bit while driving
(but it didn't stall) - it felt like it wasn't running on all cylinders. I
did make it home where I did a thorough once over of under hood wires and
hoses and couldn't see any obvious problems.

The last time I drove the jeep was about 3 weeks ago. It's rained a lot
since the so it could be that some water has got into the gas tank, but I've
lived here in Vancouver for over 20 years and the constant rain we get for 9
months of the year has never been a problem before.

My XJ has never failed to start since I purchased in new in 89, however
after it was a year old, it began to take a bit of cranking (say 20 seconds)
to get it going. It's been that way ever since. I took it to several
dealers all of who said that a bit of cranking was normal. Since it wasn't
normal when the jeep was new, I've often wondered if the CPS was faulty, but
in all the reading that I've done, a faulty CPS seems to manifest itself in
intermittent start failures and I've never had a start failure.

Anyone have any suggestions on likely candidate for the source of my
trouble? Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Dave

Old October 30th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

NT wrote:

> First of all, the specs: 1989 Cherokee LTD (XJ), inline 6 cylinder, 4
> litre, with 150k Km's (ie: relatively low mileage, or more accurately
> 'kilometerage' for the year).

> I drove to Costco this morning, about a 15 km drive. Everything was
> fine on the drive there but when I started the truck up to come home
> (1/2 hour later), it was idling roughly and would stumble quite a bit
> while driving (but it didn't stall) - it felt like it wasn't running
> on all cylinders. I did make it home where I did a thorough once
> over of under hood wires and hoses and couldn't see any obvious
> problems.

How long has it been since you changed the fuel filter?

--
DougW

Old October 30th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NT

Hi Doug:

Thanks for your response. It's been several years, but not that many Km's
ago - probably about 45k Km's.

I wouldn't expect a fuel filter to be fine, then 30 minutes later be clogged
enough to start causing problems. I don't know - can say I've ever had a
fuel filter problem before (that I knew of).

Old October 30th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

NT wrote:
> Hi Doug:
>
> Thanks for your response. It's been several years, but not that many
> Km's ago - probably about 45k Km's.
>
> I wouldn't expect a fuel filter to be fine, then 30 minutes later be
> clogged enough to start causing problems. I don't know - can say
> I've ever had a fuel filter problem before (that I knew of).

They do that. The filter will pass fuel at the proper rate up till
the point it gets too clogged. Usually it shows as a lack of power
or pinging under load/full throttle.
http://revbeergoggles.com/badgas/

I change my filter every 10,000 miles and it's astonishing what junk
can come out of it.

The other possibility is heat-soak related. That can be a failing
sensor or even the coil. When my coil died the engine would run
when cold but would sputter and buck when restarted warm. Finally
it just stopped. Oddly, the coil ohmed out just fine. But I threw
another coil on simply because I couldn't find another reason
why it wouldn't start.

Worst off if you get a new coil, you have a spare.

The CPS sensor can also exhibit heat related failure. At least on
my ZJ it's on the exhaust side of the engine just behind the downpipe.
The only real way to know if that sensor is having problems is with
a scope.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old October 30th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Sitting a long while then getting this miss after a warm start would
lead me to make sure the distributor cap is dry inside. I've had them
build up moisture that was benign until I got it warm enough to
evaporate and re-condense up where it was shorting the spark. A
cracked or caboned cap can do this, too. See if starts and runs OK
from a cold start next time. If so, suspect moisture in the
distributor or some other igniton part.

--
Will Honea
Old November 27th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
NT

Hi:

Update on my troubles...

I finally got around to taking the truck into the dealer today. The Dealer
ran all possible sensor tests and checked the fuel pressure and spark and
couldn't find anything wrong. The problem is still there (as far as I
know). The problem seems to happen when the engine is thoroughly warmed up;
on the drive over this morning, I guess it didn't warm up enough as the
problem wasn't there - but it was there on the weekend when I was out on the
highway. The dealer assured me that they warmed the engine up thoroughly
and still couldn't find any problems.

Not sure what to try next. I'm a little leery about starting to replace
sensors and the like when the analyzer showed nothing wrong. The Dealer
suggested that it could be the CPS (which has never been replaced) but when
checked it seemed to be working fine. If the CPS is being flakey - why
wouldn't it have been apparent when the dealer warmed the engine up for the
test? - Maybe it's a vibration thing?

I've discovered a little more about the symptoms.......

The engine idles fine and runs well at all speeds and acceleration rates
when cold.

Once warm (either that or it's a distance thing), there is significant
stumbling (feels like all cylinders are cutting out not just one or two) on
mild acceleration, although, if I hammer it down, there will only be slight
stumbling and it will accelerate like normal. Even though slight
accelerating will cause it to stumble heavily, I can very slowly bring it up
to highway cruising speed and it will cruise just fine - but hit a slight
hill and it starts to choke!

Once this problem starts happening, the idle becomes very rough as well, but
it doesn't stall (at least not yet), but it does sound as if it's not
running on all cylinders.

I wondered if it could be some moisture in the gas. I was low on gas so I
added a half tank and poured in some injector cleaner that is also supposed
to take moisture out of the gas and that didn't seem to make any difference.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks.

Old November 27th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I find cleaning all the sensor's plugs and sockets with a good
electronic contact cleaner, then sealing their skirts with dielectric
grease does them wonders. They are low power computer signal plugs that
are very touchy for corrosion. They even look clean, but a spray fixes
them.

If the fuel filter is of unknown age, I would change it just because....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 27th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Bo

There's a couple of sensors I would replace. The temperature sensor for the
computer, not the one for the gauge, and the ambient air sensor that's
screwed into the manifold. It's been my experience that as these sensors
age they vary on the side of reporting too cold of a value and your engine
runs rich. You could also have a vacuum leak somewhere. On a car almost 20
years old it may take you a while to isolate the problem. I had a 89 xj once
and it ran ok but when I replaced the o2 sensor it really made a difference.
The Crank Position Sensor normally causes hard or no starts as they go bad.
As Mike has replied clean and seal connections under the hood. Don't forget
the ground straps.

On the Renix systems the tester can only give real time readings and
since yours was not failing when they worked on it they didn't see anything
wrong.

JoBo

Old November 28th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
batty505

Hi

I had similar problems on my lifted 93 YJ, 4.0 liter.
It took awhile to troubleshoot, but after replacing ignition,
wires/starter, emissions, fuel filter, fuel pump, it turned out to be
the OEM factory computer. This was a year after the engine had been
replaced, fuel injectors cleaned, new plugs, wires...

the funny thing was I took it to the local jeep dealer, who couldnt
find out what the problem was. This was after they ran diagnostics,
and checked emissions, and exhaust. <I thought it was the catalytic
converter clogged> and billed me an extra $200 just to tell me nothing
was wrong.

the problems were it didnt matter what the engine condition was, after
running awhile the computer would just short out, and I would be
stranded. It literally was like a lottery as to how long the engine
would run, it could be 2 or 20 minutes before stopping. Symptoms would
be sputtering and misfiring and loss of oil pressure, and then
shutdown.

I think the reals reason that the dealer couldnt find anything wrong
with it was because, if its computer related and the computer talks to
their computer, it creates a false positive effect.
also, I think that experience and training was also key. People with
little experience in diagnostics tend to blame the equipment and not
themselves.

hope this helps.