93 Rough Idle/ Slow Initial Acceleration

Old August 13th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 93 Rough Idle/ Slow Initial Acceleration

Our 93 ford explorer has been a real champ in the last two years that
we have owned it. It has been very well cared for with only 72,000
miles... but lately we have noticed two things. When the car first
starts cold (IE: First start of the day) the car runs fine, but when
put in reverese, will die immediately, and run fine once restarted.
Secondly, (and the biggest issue) is when sitting and idleing (doesnt
matter if its cold or warm) the engine goes up and down from 500-600rpm
which makes the idle pretty rough. Also, when starting from a dead stop
to accelerate, you press the peddle and the car seems to "hesitate" for
a few seconds before finally accelerating. Does anyone have any idea as
to what may be the issue?

Old August 14th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JohanB

Vacuum leak ???

oups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"JohanB" > wrote in message
> Vacuum leak ???

In addition to the vacuum leak (which seems very likely) you might also try
cleaning the mass air flow sensor and make sure the air filter is clean.

Do you have any smoke when it first starts up? Any coolant loss? Intake
manifold leaks are common on this engine and can cause it to run rough.
This would likely give you white smoke on startup.