Help with rough idle and acceleration - TIA

Old September 9th 05, 03:32 AM

Default Help with rough idle and acceleration - TIA

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Inline 6 Cylinder Engine
Automatic Transmission
Stock - No modifications

Symptoms:
After car warms up (3-5 Minutes) the engine idle drops to about 600RPM
and the car starts shaking rapidly. When you accelerate the car
shakes repeatedly between 600RPM and 1500RPM. At 50 miles an hour,
pressing the accelerator slightly to maintain a steady velocity (which
is about 1500RPM) the car will experience the shake while driving.
Moderate acceleration the problem goes away. Lifting off of the gas
and the problem goes away until the above rpm range is reached and
then problem comes back

Followup:
Computer diagnostics indicates a miss fire on cylinder # 5

Question:
Could this be a clogged injector or are there other suggestions?

TIA Ken
Old September 12th 05, 02:17 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

That's the 4.0L, not the V-8. 4.0L I-6 uses three coil packs, one per two
plugs.

Old September 12th 05, 03:08 AM
bllsht

Actually, it's 1 coil pack containing 3 coils. Each coil operating 2 cylinders.

Old September 12th 05, 11:22 PM
tim bur

the reason i did not type that in was because it fires a cylinder in the exchaust
stroke and he's trying too figure out a misfire in this case it's not needed
info

Old September 13th 05, 03:15 AM
Stephen Cowell

"bllsht" > wrote in message
> They sure as hell do!
> In message >, "tim bur" wrote:
> >> Don't each of the coil packs handle 2 cylinders? Wouldn't both

misfire?

Only an open circuit would misfire both
plugs on a lost-spark ignition... a fouled
plug merely helps the other plug fire.
__
Steve
..