94 accord cranks but won't start

Old December 31st 04, 11:01 PM
Matt

Default 94 accord cranks but won't start

I am hoping somebody here can help me.
I have a 94 accord EX with 250k km.

I replaced the clutch 5 days ago, but when I took it off the
jack-stands it would not start. The engine would turnover, but would
not catch. I left it, and came back the next day- and it started
fine.

I went for a test drive and everything worked great. On my way
back down the laneway to my parents house (they live on a farm) I hit
some ice and slid into a snow bank. I had my dad tow me out with the
tractor, but in the process I had lost both drive belts.

I replaced these the same day and it drove great. It even started
and ran without the belts.

I drove back to where I live(about 100km away) and parked it.
When I came back the next day it would not start

The starter motor cranks, but the engine will not start. I
checked the spark plugs which look fine and will spark when the engine
is cranked. When I put a screwdriver into the lines that feed the
spark-plugs I get about a 1/4 inch spark to the engine.

I can hear the gas pump when I turn the ignition, and when I undo a
bolt on the fuel rail, there is pressure. I tried the computer
diagnostics, but the check engine light just sits there and does not
blink.

If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Not having my
car makes me feel neutered!
Old December 31st 04, 11:34 PM
R. P.

"Matt" > wrote:
> If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Not having my
> car makes me feel neutered!

Sounds just like the symptoms my '94 Accord LX showed at around 170 K
miles. It was solved with a new ignition switch.

Rudy

Old December 31st 04, 11:35 PM
Remco

Hi Matt

Have you checked your fuel injectors? You should hear them click while
you start the engine.

The way I've checked them is by using the following poor man's
stethoscope: Get a thin stick (one of those garden sticks or a top of a
fishing pole will do), Put one side of the stick to the injector. Make
a fist and put the stick in that fist and put your fist to your ear.
When you start the engine, you should clearly hear the clicking.

If they are not clicking, check their control lines. I think they go
through a resistor pack on an accord. It is hard to believe all
resistors are blown, but maybe the connector is making bad contact
intermittently.

Hope you find it soon.
Remco

Old December 31st 04, 11:51 PM
motsco_ _

Matt wrote:
> I am hoping somebody here can help me.
> I have a 94 accord EX with 250k km.
>
> I replaced the clutch 5 days ago, but when I took it off the
> jack-stands it would not start. The engine would turnover, but would
> not catch. I left it, and came back the next day- and it started
> fine.
>
> I went for a test drive and everything worked great. On my way
> back down the laneway to my parents house (they live on a farm) I hit
> some ice and slid into a snow bank. I had my dad tow me out with the
> tractor, but in the process I had lost both drive belts.
>
> I replaced these the same day and it drove great. It even started
> and ran without the belts.
>
> I drove back to where I live(about 100km away) and parked it.
> When I came back the next day it would not start
>
> The starter motor cranks, but the engine will not start. I
> checked the spark plugs which look fine and will spark when the engine
> is cranked. When I put a screwdriver into the lines that feed the
> spark-plugs I get about a 1/4 inch spark to the engine.
>
> I can hear the gas pump when I turn the ignition, and when I undo a
> bolt on the fuel rail, there is pressure. I tried the computer
> diagnostics, but the check engine light just sits there and does not
> blink.
>
> If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Not having my
> car makes me feel neutered!

--------------------

Our Odyssey did the same thing. . . it was a stuck injector, bleeding
all the fuel into the engine and flooding it (overnight). Your manaul
explains how to start a flooded Honda. Try it and see if it works. A
couple tanks of gasohol fixed ours, and we use it every now and then for
prevention.

'Curly'

Old January 1st 05, 09:02 PM

> Our Odyssey did the same thing. . . it was a stuck injector,

bleeding
> all the fuel into the engine and flooding it (overnight). Your manaul

> explains how to start a flooded Honda. Try it and see if it works. A
> couple tanks of gasohol fixed ours, and we use it every now and then

for
> prevention.
>
> 'Curly'

Thank-you Soooo Much!!! I turned the ignition while stepping on the
gas (for flooded engine, this reduces gas to cylinders) and Presto.

I can't thank-you enough- Such a relief! I'll buy some fuel injector
cleaner tomorrow when the stores open and run it through.
Happy New year all,

Matt.

Old January 2nd 05, 10:20 PM
motsco_ _

-------------

> I've added this to the no-start section of the FAQ. OK with you?

========================

Excellent . . . I was gonna suggest it, since it comes up from time to
time, and is always mis-diagnosed.

I wonder if flooding happens to many other injected cars?

'Curly'

Old January 3rd 05, 03:06 AM
motsco_ _

> It does to Toyotas anyway. Their ECUs are also set up to shut the injectors
> off on WOT and a cranking engine.

Wide Open Throttle . . I understand. I thought WOT was what deaf Aussies
say all the time . . . :-)

'Curly'