Importing from Europe to UK

Old May 13th 04, 10:43 PM
Graham

Default Importing from Europe to UK

Hi,

I'm interested in the new 2 litre TDI A3 with DSG but getting a used one is
proving nigh on impossible (hardly surprising I suppose considering how new
they are). So I was thinking of buying a new one but the prices in the UK
are still a bit on the high side for me. Is importing one still financially
viable? Any experiences or websites?

Thanks in advance

Old May 13th 04, 11:11 PM
R@L

"Graham" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in the new 2 litre TDI A3 with DSG but getting a used one

is
> proving nigh on impossible (hardly surprising I suppose considering how

new
> they are). So I was thinking of buying a new one but the prices in the UK
> are still a bit on the high side for me. Is importing one still

financially
> viable? Any experiences or websites?
>
> Thanks in advance

For your information, UK is in Europe.

Ronald

Old May 14th 04, 12:18 AM
Cam Newton

On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:11:06 +0200, "R@L" > wrote:

>"Graham" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm interested in the new 2 litre TDI A3 with DSG but getting a used one

>is
>> proving nigh on impossible (hardly surprising I suppose considering how

>new
>> they are). So I was thinking of buying a new one but the prices in the UK
>> are still a bit on the high side for me. Is importing one still

>financially
>> viable? Any experiences or websites?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

>For your information, UK is in Europe.

This is not helpful. How about Ireland then> Scotland? Can you tell us
something about import duties from the EU to the UK? Can you tell us
about what Europe really means to Asia? etc

Old May 14th 04, 05:01 AM
Tony

To a Brit, Europe starts on the other side of the Channel.

Tony
Ottawa (Brit ex-pat)

Old May 14th 04, 05:51 AM
Tero Patana

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Tony wrote:

> To a Brit, Europe starts on the other side of the Channel.

And to mainland Europeans, that's where Europe stops

To the topic, what about left-hand drive? Isn't that a problem?
Old May 14th 04, 07:39 AM
Graham

"Tero Patana" > wrote in message
i...
> To the topic, what about left-hand drive? Isn't that a problem?

It would be yes, but it is possible to import a right hand drive car so I
discounted that as not a problem :-)

Old May 14th 04, 07:41 AM
Graham

"R@L" > wrote in message news:1084486270.696770@dell020...

> For your information, UK is in Europe.

Marginally, at best.

Old May 14th 04, 10:18 AM
R@L

"Cam Newton" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:11:06 +0200, "R@L" > wrote:
>

> >"Graham" > wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm interested in the new 2 litre TDI A3 with DSG but getting a used

one
> >is
> >> proving nigh on impossible (hardly surprising I suppose considering how

> >new
> >> they are). So I was thinking of buying a new one but the prices in the

UK
> >> are still a bit on the high side for me. Is importing one still

> >financially
> >> viable? Any experiences or websites?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> >For your information, UK is in Europe.

> This is not helpful. How about Ireland then> Scotland? Can you tell us
> something about import duties from the EU to the UK? Can you tell us
> about what Europe really means to Asia? etc

AFAIK the lowest -net- prices for cars are to be found in Holland and
Denmark. In those countries taxes are high so car manufacturers sell them
cheaper to them.

It's hard to find a dealer who will sell you one though. On the other hand
if you find one, you'll be European again since European law dictates that
the warranty should be Europe wide.

Ronald

Old May 14th 04, 04:24 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Graham" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in the new 2 litre TDI A3 with DSG but getting a used one

is
> proving nigh on impossible (hardly surprising I suppose considering how

new
> they are). So I was thinking of buying a new one but the prices in the UK
> are still a bit on the high side for me. Is importing one still

financially
> viable? Any experiences or websites?

Can't tell you current prices, but my TT was imported from Holland.

I used a company called InterCar (www.intercar.nl) - they have a physical
presence, and a good reputation. They apparently do an awful lot of cars for
squaddies..

Best thing is to ask for a quote; note that you will have to add VAT at
17.5%, payable directly to HMC&E. I used TTT Moneycorp for the transfer of
funds (RBS apparently now offer a good over-the-counter service for an
International Money Order)

Personally, I found the experience a *lot* easier than dealing with a
UK-based BMW dealer..

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!