Grind while accelorating

Old December 5th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MattS

Default Grind while accelorating

Recently I got a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM GT with a V6 engine, I don't
know alot about cars and that's why I'm here. I had some engine work
done and replaced the part that keeps tension on the serpentine belt
because it was worn out and causing a horrible clicking when the car
idled. The car runs smoothly now but lately there's been a bit of a
grinding noise when I accelarate. It scared me a bit so I asked a
friend, he suggested getting the oil changed. I did that and they said
there was less then 1/2 quart of oil in the car and it was very dark
black. Having the oil changed does seem to have quieted the grind a bit
but not totally, and there is a chance that the car could be running
louder with more power and drowning out the grinding sound. Like I said
I'm not a big car person so if I sound crazy that's why.. Could you
guys give me some info on what could be grinding while I accelarate?
Thanks very much!

Old December 5th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
corning_d3[_17_]

Less than a half a quart of black oil?! Im suprised it's still
running...

--
corning_d3
corning_d3's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=373828

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old December 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

MattS wrote:
> Recently I got a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM GT with a V6 engine, I don't
> know alot about cars and that's why I'm here. I had some engine work
> done and replaced the part that keeps tension on the serpentine belt
> because it was worn out and causing a horrible clicking when the car
> idled. The car runs smoothly now but lately there's been a bit of a
> grinding noise when I accelarate. It scared me a bit so I asked a
> friend, he suggested getting the oil changed. I did that and they said
> there was less then 1/2 quart of oil in the car and it was very dark
> black. Having the oil changed does seem to have quieted the grind a bit
> but not totally, and there is a chance that the car could be running
> louder with more power and drowning out the grinding sound. Like I said
> I'm not a big car person so if I sound crazy that's why.. Could you
> guys give me some info on what could be grinding while I accelarate?
> Thanks very much!

Hmm, with only .5 quart of oil are you sure it wasn't more of a banging
and knocking sound? The banging and knocking would come from metal
bearing surfaces as they deteriorate from running with minimal
lubrication. If this is a true story, the life of the engine has
likely been shortened dramatically. My suggestion would be to have a
mechanic give you an appraisal of the engine.

01 TJ tranny grind Troy Jeep 2 December 3rd 05 08:04 PM
1995 New Yorker rear brake grind Chico Chrysler 2 October 31st 04 05:13 AM
TT Gear Grind 2nd-3rd Steven Spiro Audi 0 July 10th 04 11:54 PM