55 mercury radio re build

Old November 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
Dale Randall

Default 55 mercury radio re build

I am about to put an am fm 12 v. radio in side this car and leave the
dash original as I can. My plans are to rip out the old 6 volt job and
hide the new radio behind the old controls knobs and link them together
for basic on/off volume, dial ing in stations. I am doing this for bil
who only wants am fm and I am sure I should replace speakers to work on
the new one. He has changed the car system over to 12 volts. Any ideas
would help. Is there any value in saving the old tube type radio? Has
anyone did this type of restore? He doesn't want a hidden remote fancy
tape or cd player. If I can still find a good basic two knob radio I
think it will be ok. The one outfit that does the replaca won't do the
55 56 mercury as they have that large front where the am dial is at
that sticks up above the standard hole. Thanks...s Dale