NA Sticky Exterior Door Handle

Old October 11th 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default NA Sticky Exterior Door Handle

My passenger side exterior door handle does not snap back when opened.
It has to be pushed back flush with the door in order for the door to
latch/close properly.
I have tried squirting some WD40 into the latch behind the handle but
that only marginally helped.
If I remove the handle from the door and give it a complete cleaning
will it function normally again or should I look for a replacement?
There is talk about this problem on miata.net but it is unclear if
cleaning is a permanent fix or if people had to replace the spring. If
a spring replacement is the answer where might I get a replacement spring?
Many thanks for your advice.
Old October 13th 10, 09:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 10/11/2010 11:49 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> My passenger side exterior door handle does not snap back when opened.
> It has to be pushed back flush with the door in order for the door to
> latch/close properly.
> I have tried squirting some WD40 into the latch behind the handle but
> that only marginally helped.
> If I remove the handle from the door and give it a complete cleaning
> will it function normally again or should I look for a replacement?
> There is talk about this problem on miata.net but it is unclear if
> cleaning is a permanent fix or if people had to replace the spring. If a
> spring replacement is the answer where might I get a replacement spring?
> Many thanks for your advice.

The last one of these I saw turned out to be caused by a broken off pot
metal thingy that held one end of the spring. I think that you are going
to need to do a little door dis-assembly to really find out what is
going on.
Old October 14th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jeroen Feelders

If it's the spring you probably can't open the door with the handle too.
This because of the latch being stuck in the closed-position. If this is not
the case, it soon will be and replacing the spring isn't easy with a closed
door. So take action while you can and clean the spring (and replace the
spring). This one can be found at Rosenthal or mx5parts.co.uk.

Jeroen

"Chuck" > schreef in bericht

Old October 14th 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 10/13/2010 4:00 AM, Chuck wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 11:49 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>> My passenger side exterior door handle does not snap back when opened.
>> It has to be pushed back flush with the door in order for the door to
>> latch/close properly.
>> I have tried squirting some WD40 into the latch behind the handle but
>> that only marginally helped.
>> If I remove the handle from the door and give it a complete cleaning
>> will it function normally again or should I look for a replacement?
>> There is talk about this problem on miata.net but it is unclear if
>> cleaning is a permanent fix or if people had to replace the spring. If a
>> spring replacement is the answer where might I get a replacement spring?
>> Many thanks for your advice.

> The last one of these I saw turned out to be caused by a broken off pot
> metal thingy that held one end of the spring. I think that you are going
> to need to do a little door dis-assembly to really find out what is
> going on.

Thanks Chuck. It isn't a particularly hard job but it gets messy when
you lift that plastic vapor barrier because of that tar like glue so I
don't want to have to go in there twice... will learn from your
experience and get a spare handle before i go in there. Thanks again.
Old October 14th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 10/13/2010 7:45 PM, Jeroen Feelders wrote:
> If it's the spring you probably can't open the door with the handle too.
> This because of the latch being stuck in the closed-position. If this is not
> the case, it soon will be and replacing the spring isn't easy with a closed
> door. So take action while you can and clean the spring (and replace the
> spring). This one can be found at Rosenthal or mx5parts.co.uk.
>
> Jeroen
>
> > schreef in bericht
>> On 10/11/2010 11:49 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>>> My passenger side exterior door handle does not snap back when opened.
>>> It has to be pushed back flush with the door in order for the door to
>>> latch/close properly.
>>> I have tried squirting some WD40 into the latch behind the handle but
>>> that only marginally helped.
>>> If I remove the handle from the door and give it a complete cleaning
>>> will it function normally again or should I look for a replacement?
>>> There is talk about this problem on miata.net but it is unclear if
>>> cleaning is a permanent fix or if people had to replace the spring. If a
>>> spring replacement is the answer where might I get a replacement spring?
>>> Many thanks for your advice.

>> The last one of these I saw turned out to be caused by a broken off pot
>> metal thingy that held one end of the spring. I think that you are going
>> to need to do a little door dis-assembly to really find out what is going
>> on.

Thanks Jeroen. Are you saying that I can get a new spring from
rosenthal (finishlineperformance.com)? i only saw the entire handle
there. Many thanks.
Old October 14th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article > ,
Christopher Muto > wrote:

> Are you saying that I can get a new spring from
> rosenthal (finishlineperformance.com)? i only saw the entire handle
> there.

Call Rosenthal and ask. You want to speak to Tommy Grimes (aka The Parts
Dood).

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 14th 10, 07:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Since the asphalt "sticky stuff" is so messy, I usually cut the plastic
(razor blade), then use Duct Tape when things go back together. If you
cut so that the door structure is behind the cut, it makes it easier to
tape back together. The asphalt is usually in an inch or so in from the
edges of the door metal structure.
Don't forget to lube the window mechanism while things are apart.
(helps keep the plastic "chains" from breaking, and electric motors (if
you have them) from doing such things as stripping gears or cooking the
window switches.)

Old October 15th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Since the asphalt "sticky stuff" is so messy, I usually cut the plastic
> (razor blade), then use Duct Tape when things go back together. If you cut
> so that the door structure is behind the cut, it makes it easier to tape
> back together. The asphalt is usually in an inch or so in from the edges
> of the door metal structure.
> Don't forget to lube the window mechanism while things are apart.
> (helps keep the plastic "chains" from breaking, and electric motors (if
> you have them) from doing such things as stripping gears or cooking the
> window switches.)

Now there's good advice on TOP of good advice! :-)
Chris
99BBB

Old October 15th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 10/14/2010 10:05 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>> Since the asphalt "sticky stuff" is so messy, I usually cut the
>> plastic (razor blade), then use Duct Tape when things go back
>> together. If you cut so that the door structure is behind the cut, it
>> makes it easier to tape back together. The asphalt is usually in an
>> inch or so in from the edges of the door metal structure.
>> Don't forget to lube the window mechanism while things are apart.
>> (helps keep the plastic "chains" from breaking, and electric motors
>> (if you have them) from doing such things as stripping gears or
>> cooking the window switches.)
>>

> Now there's good advice on TOP of good advice! :-)
> Chris
> 99BBB

My 99SBB has, at one time or another, had my hands in just about
everything but the engine innards and the rear axle guts. One of the
tasks involved adding insulation matting to the trunk, "tunnels", and
under all the carpeting. A really painful task (I have a bad back) was
adding in dash wiring for the turbo and added gauges in the center
console. Another fun one was to add a power cable for a Valentine RD
inside the windshield trim, and wire additional courtesy lights, with
wires going to the base of the windshield pillar. I had to take the
seats out, and build up/cushion the floor to keep my back happy.
Sound mats were added to the door panels when I added the rest of the mats.

Old October 15th 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 10/14/2010 2:12 AM, Chuck wrote:
> Since the asphalt "sticky stuff" is so messy, I usually cut the plastic
> (razor blade), then use Duct Tape when things go back together. If you
> cut so that the door structure is behind the cut, it makes it easier to
> tape back together. The asphalt is usually in an inch or so in from the
> edges of the door metal structure.
> Don't forget to lube the window mechanism while things are apart.
> (helps keep the plastic "chains" from breaking, and electric motors (if
> you have them) from doing such things as stripping gears or cooking the
> window switches.)
>

> On 10/13/2010 7:47 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>>>
>>> The last one of these I saw turned out to be caused by a broken off pot
>>> metal thingy that held one end of the spring. I think that you are going
>>> to need to do a little door dis-assembly to really find out what is
>>> going on.

>> Thanks Chuck. It isn't a particularly hard job but it gets messy when
>> you lift that plastic vapor barrier because of that tar like glue so I
>> don't want to have to go in there twice... will learn from your
>> experience and get a spare handle before i go in there. Thanks again.

Thanks Chuck, that is an excellent idea. I had to replace the driver's
side window once and have bad memories of the goo