What's your longest one day Miata drive?

Old September 26th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default What's your longest one day Miata drive?

Just for fun, and to see if anyone is still hanging around, I wondering what
people's longest, single day 'Miata drive' has been. I'm not talking about
jumping on the freeway and heading to a distant city but a drive just for
fun. It can include some highway driving (especially if you live in
level-land like Houston ;-).

I'm thinking of a drive I did a couple years ago that I'd like to do again.
I started in SW Houston, headed to Austin and ran the famous (now probably
'traffic calmed' to 30 mph) Lime Creek Road. Then headed out of Austin, NW
to Marble Falls and on to include Fredericksburg, Mason, Junction,
Kerrville, Medina, Vanderpool, Leaky and Utopia (it must have been named by
an early Miata guy ;-) Anyway, this caught most of the best driving roads
that I know about in the area. Then I did jump on I-10 and cruise straight
back in an effort to finish in one day but, iirc it was in the 700 to 750
mile range with a ton of slow, tight and twisty stuff. I wish I had the
route installed on some mapping program (I may have to do that). If you have
your favorite mapped that way, post it up here or just give us a rundown of
your endurance route ;-)

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old September 27th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Just for fun, and to see if anyone is still hanging around, I wondering what
> people's longest, single day 'Miata drive' has been. I'm not talking about
> jumping on the freeway and heading to a distant city but a drive just for
> fun. It can include some highway driving (especially if you live in
> level-land like Houston ;-).
>
> I'm thinking of a drive I did a couple years ago that I'd like to do again.
> I started in SW Houston, headed to Austin and ran the famous (now probably
> 'traffic calmed' to 30 mph) Lime Creek Road. Then headed out of Austin, NW
> to Marble Falls and on to include Fredericksburg, Mason, Junction,
> Kerrville, Medina, Vanderpool, Leaky and Utopia (it must have been named by
> an early Miata guy ;-) Anyway, this caught most of the best driving roads
> that I know about in the area. Then I did jump on I-10 and cruise straight
> back in an effort to finish in one day but, iirc it was in the 700 to 750
> mile range with a ton of slow, tight and twisty stuff. I wish I had the
> route installed on some mapping program (I may have to do that). If you have
> your favorite mapped that way, post it up here or just give us a rundown of
> your endurance route ;-)
>
> Later,
> Chris
> 99BBB

I drove around the loop from Vancouver, past Whistler, past Pemberton,
up to Lilooet and back down the other side on the TransCanada #1 highway.

<http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...1st+Avenue,+Va
ncouver,+British+Columbia&daddr=50.31435,-122.80598+to:50.15694,-121.5784
9+to:Maple+St&hl=en&geocode=FTPQ7wId9sqo-CnFw8_EtHOGVDHGwoY3lbtFyA%3BFW68
_wIdJCGu-CmNYVV1yTWHVDEbYjrABMT9ew%3BFYxV_QIdBtzA-ClPn-xcbRCBVDFWT2FIesHi
Fg%3BFcrP7wIdQuCo-A&mra=dvme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=7&via=1,2&sll=49.98655 2,-12
4.903564&sspn=4.584613,10.272217&ie=UTF8&ll=49.802 541,-122.233887&spn=2.3
00955,5.136108&t=h&z=8>

About 600km...

....just for fun.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old September 28th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Any route that includes a road called 'Sea to Sky Highway' can't be all bad
;-) Route looks great. What does the 600KM equal?
I may have to map mine just to get a look at it via satellite ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old September 28th 10, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Any route that includes a road called 'Sea to Sky Highway' can't be all bad
> ;-) Route looks great. What does the 600KM equal?

Divide by two and add another 10% of the original figure and you'll get
close, but if you want to be more accurate, a km is 5/8 of a mile almost
exactly.

So about 375 miles.

> I may have to map mine just to get a look at it via satellite ;-)

Just set your destination next door to your starting point and use
Google Maps' ability to set a couple of points your route must travel
through...

Old September 28th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Alan Baker > wrote:

> I drove around the loop from Vancouver, past Whistler, past Pemberton,
> up to Lilooet and back down the other side on the TransCanada #1 highway.

Ooooh! I've flown that loop many times in the FlightGear simulator,
generally starting in Pemberton. I've always figured it would be
stunning in a Miata. It's gorgeous from the air, especially when clouds
are hanging halfway down the slopes.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old September 28th 10, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

In article
Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > I drove around the loop from Vancouver, past Whistler, past Pemberton,
> > up to Lilooet and back down the other side on the TransCanada #1 highway.

> Ooooh! I've flown that loop many times in the FlightGear simulator,
> generally starting in Pemberton. I've always figured it would be
> stunning in a Miata. It's gorgeous from the air, especially when clouds
> are hanging halfway down the slopes.

It's a great drive.

If you hit the Sea-to-Sky highway early enough -- and if it's not the
ski season so that "early enough" is both not as early as the skiers
heading up to Whistler and so that the sun is already up! -- there's not
much traffic on a road that winds and has a terrific mix of bends and
straights for a car such as the Miata. In the spring, the road north of
Whistler and Pemberton runs along a beautiful river where everything is
alive...

....I think I'll do it again this spring with my GF!

--
Alan Baker
Old September 28th 10, 08:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

On 26.9.2010. 15:27, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Just for fun, and to see if anyone is still hanging around, I wondering

one warm night in august, 9pm. some 450miles. got back home around 9am
and called in sick
Old September 29th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Domagoj Bagaric" > wrote in message
> On 26.9.2010. 15:27, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>> Just for fun, and to see if anyone is still hanging around, I wondering

> one warm night in august, 9pm. some 450miles. got back home around 9am and
> called in sick

I call you COOL! But, I'd do that on a cool / cold evening! Hey, the last
two days have been wonderful in Houston! I think we have one more day of
fall, I can't wait! ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old October 1st 10, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 9/28/2010 11:08 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Domagoj Bagaric" > wrote in message
>> On 26.9.2010. 15:27, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
>>> Just for fun, and to see if anyone is still hanging around, I wondering

>> one warm night in august, 9pm. some 450miles. got back home around 9am
>> and called in sick

> I call you COOL! But, I'd do that on a cool / cold evening! Hey, the
> last two days have been wonderful in Houston! I think we have one more
> day of fall, I can't wait! ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

About 100 miles round-trip for me is the most I have done without
planning a route. I'm boring and fairly predictable.

This weather has been most excellent!

Pat

Old October 1st 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Stuart H.[_2_]

On 2010-10-01 6:44 AM, pws wrote:
> On 9/28/2010 11:08 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> About 100 miles round-trip for me is the most I have done without
> planning a route. I'm boring and fairly predictable.
>
> This weather has been most excellent!
>
> Pat

How about our 500 mile Marathon in a normally aspirated '90, towing a
Combi-Camp trailer loaded with camping gear, in convoy with friends in a
van loaded with kids and their tent trailer?
From Clanwilliam Manitoba to Custer South Dakota in 1994.
When we crossed the border near Antler ND, the fellow on duty said, "Are
you towing that with THAT?" When he asked what I had for an engine, he
couldn't believe it. "Go on through, and good luck to you" were his
farewell words.

Stuart H.
'91 Eunos Roadster