(UK. )Waiting delivery of new MX-5 Tech Sports (10 days I hope),Tyres??

Old August 21st 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Donwill

Default (UK. )Waiting delivery of new MX-5 Tech Sports (10 days I hope),Tyres??

On 20/08/2010 18:56, Frank Berger wrote:
> NetMax wrote:

>>> Yes, thanks for that, the supplier hasn't taken delivery of the car
>>> yet so I don't know what tyres will be fitted.
>>>
>>> I suppose the problem with asking this type of question is that the
>>> replies come from various contributors who have different
>>> aspirations. For example Net max , you obviously like to push your
>>> car to the limit hence you mentioning "controlled drifting" .
>>> I'm in my 70s and 4 wheel drifts is not what I'm looking for. I want
>>> to go touring in it, abroad mainly so I'm looking for stability in a
>>> range of road conditions not maximum performance. A couple of years
>>> ago I was staying near San Sebastian in late September but the
>>> weather was wet every day so, we decided to head South looking for
>>> the sun, however within 10 miles and climbing, the rain turned to
>>> sleet, 5 mins and we were in a blizzard being overtaken by idiots
>>> doing high speeds in treacherous conditions. At the time we had a
>>> FWD vehicle so we coped fairly easily, 5 miles down the road
>>> -beautiful sunshine as we topped the crest.
>>> Referring to an earlier contribution in this thread by Frank Berger--
>>> quote " When I bought my '96 new and found out how dangerous the OEM
>>> Bridgestones
>>> were in the rain etc " I'm a little apprehensive at the thought of
>>> tail wagging up a hill in similar conditions.
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks for all your contributions it's been helpful .
>>> Any further contributions or advice gratefully received.
>>> Cheers
>>> Don- Hide quoted text -

>> Understood. My experience with the OEMs used here are that they begin
>> getting slippery at around 5C (wet or dry) but when warmer, they stick
>> very well (wet or dry). I'm afraid my one opinion won't help you
>> much, especially as neither of us knows what your dealer plans to
>> install ;~) Good luck with your purchase.
>> cheers
>>

> I would be careful about generalizing. I didn't mean to say that all or
> most OEM tires on Miatas or anything else are dangerous in the rain. The
> particular tires on the base '96 that I bought were horrible. I forget the
> model number. The dealer was not shocked that I wanted something different.

I hope you don't mind me quoting you, I was merely trying give an example of
what can happen, showing the situation that I found myself in travelling between
San Sebastian and Burgos. If I'd had the tyres you had, I suspect I would have
been in big trouble, they must have had similar characteristics to F1 Slicks. :-(
Don

Old August 21st 10, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

On 8/20/2010 6:58 PM, NetMax wrote:
> On Aug 20, 5:59 pm, Lanny > wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> "Tim > wrote:
>>
>>> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph.

>> Stock, my '94 could reach an indicated 128 mph. I'm guessing the true
>> speed was circa 122. Until I got Konis, though, it was less than stable
>> over 110.
>>
>> FWIW, 110 mph comes up fairly quickly. Then you shift into 5th, and
>> further progress is glacial. Nonexistent, if headed even slightly uphill.
>>
>> But there are plenty of modified Miatas that are rpm limited, with a top
>> speed that depends on their gearing and whether the rev limiter was
>> "adjusted."
>>
>> --
>> Lanny Chambers
>> St. Louis, MO
>> '94C

> My understanding is that gear& rev. limiter permitting, the top end
> of the 2.0L NC is between 130 and 133mph (210-215km/h). At least this
> is what I've read, I haven't had occasion or interest to try myself.

The 99 NB I have develops about 200-220HP at 9.5-10psi when it is tuned
to do so. Normal tune for daily use limits the engine to 160-180. (Stock
internals, etc.) Due to cooling issues, sustained high speed above 100
is not the best thing to do. The 99 will easily reach gear/RPM limits
when it is tuned to do so. (And the gear limit is slightly higher than
stock, due to a different 5th gear ratio.) A front air dam, side skirts,
and a cooling scoop, along with an effective oil cooler would make a big
difference. Unfortunately, the state laws in my area have gotten
draconian concerning speeds 20 or more over the limit. Somebody decided
that average speeds of 85 on the Atlanta area interstates were too high,
given the poor mechanical condition of many Atlanta area cars.
Besides, the state and local governments are getting desperate for cash
any way they can get it.

As to the autobahns in the 70's--someone was always going faster than
you were. There were at least two very high performance sports cars in
the local area (Trier, Bitburg, Eifel area, etc. that commonly were well
above 120mph when noticed on the autobahn. One was a Ferrari, and the
other a German made mid engine car with no obvious makers mark. Of the
two, the German car looked like speed incarnate, even when parked.
It may have been a prototype, or a custom build, I never found out the
details.

Old August 21st 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Aug 21, 1:59*am, Donwill > wrote:
> On 20/08/2010 20:27, John McGaw wrote:

> >> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph. *I
> >> actually have always thought that they top out just below 110mph or
> >> so. *Have I been wrong all these years? * (Not that I am interested in
> >> checking it out in my '97 M-edition; I save the triple-digit speeds
> >> for my Ducati on the racetrack.)

> > I'm pretty sure that even the NA was good for at least 120mph or close
> > to it. I never had mine above about 100 indicated and it felt fine.
> > The USA-spec NC is rev-limited to 220k (137mph) and it feels as if it
> > will do it too.

> The latest (UK)MX5 brochure quotes 132 mph for the Sport Tech (soft top)
> and 136mph *for the retractable hard top version, not that I'm
> interested in speeds above 85 mph (French Auto-routes) *with very
> occasional bursts to 90 perhaps to get clear of difficult, potentially
> dangerous bunching on motorways.
>
> Don- Hide quoted text -

Curious why the heavier PRHT would be rated faster? If the engines are
the same, then the UK soft top must be getting different gearing (ie:
5MT instead of the 6MT).
Old August 21st 10, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Donwill

On 21/08/2010 16:35, NetMax wrote:
> On Aug 21, 1:59 am, > wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure that even the NA was good for at least 120mph or close
>>> to it. I never had mine above about 100 indicated and it felt fine.
>>> The USA-spec NC is rev-limited to 220k (137mph) and it feels as if it
>>> will do it too.
>>>

>> The latest (UK)MX5 brochure quotes 132 mph for the Sport Tech (soft top)
>> and 136mph for the retractable hard top version, not that I'm
>> interested in speeds above 85 mph (French Auto-routes) with very
>> occasional bursts to 90 perhaps to get clear of difficult, potentially
>> dangerous bunching on motorways.
>>
>> Don- Hide quoted text -

> Curious why the heavier PRHT would be rated faster? If the engines are
> the same, then the UK soft top must be getting different gearing (ie:
> 5MT instead of the 6MT).

Both have 6 Gears& ratios are the same, maybe the hard top has slightly less air resistance. However, the acceleration figures are also interesting:- Soft top 0 to 62 in 7.6 secs , Hard top in 7.9secs. Power to weight ratio has more influence at lower speed perhaps.
Don

Old August 22nd 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Donwill wrote:
> On 20/08/2010 18:56, Frank Berger wrote:
>> NetMax wrote:

>>> Understood. My experience with the OEMs used here are that they
>>> begin getting slippery at around 5C (wet or dry) but when warmer,
>>> they stick very well (wet or dry). I'm afraid my one opinion won't
>>> help you much, especially as neither of us knows what your dealer
>>> plans to install ;~) Good luck with your purchase.
>>> cheers
>>>

>> I would be careful about generalizing. I didn't mean to say that
>> all or most OEM tires on Miatas or anything else are dangerous in
>> the rain. The particular tires on the base '96 that I bought were
>> horrible. I forget the model number. The dealer was not shocked
>> that I wanted something different.

> I hope you don't mind me quoting you, I was merely trying give an
> example of what can happen, showing the situation that I found myself in
> travelling between San Sebastian and Burgos. If I'd had the tyres
> you had, I suspect I would have been in big trouble, they must have
> had similar characteristics to F1 Slicks. :-( Don

I did a little research and recollection. The OEM tires on my '96 were
Bridgestone SF 325. I replaced them with Dunlop Sport A2.

Old August 23rd 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 8/21/2010 11:40 AM, Donwill wrote:
> On 21/08/2010 16:35, NetMax wrote:

>>> The latest (UK)MX5 brochure quotes 132 mph for the Sport Tech (soft top)
>>> and 136mph for the retractable hard top version, not that I'm
>>> interested in speeds above 85 mph (French Auto-routes) with very
>>> occasional bursts to 90 perhaps to get clear of difficult, potentially
>>> dangerous bunching on motorways.
>>>
>>> Don- Hide quoted text -

>> Curious why the heavier PRHT would be rated faster? If the engines are
>> the same, then the UK soft top must be getting different gearing (ie:
>> 5MT instead of the 6MT).

> Both have 6 Gears& ratios are the same, maybe the hard top has slightly
> less air resistance. However, the acceleration figures are also
> interesting:- Soft top 0 to 62 in 7.6 secs , Hard top in 7.9secs. Power
> to weight ratio has more influence at lower speed perhaps.
> Don

I think that you have it correct on it being the better aerodynamics
causing the higher possible top speed.

If I remember correctly, the PRHT assembly is 89 pounds, and the soft
top with frame is a little over 45 pounds, equaling less than 50 pounds
of weight difference.

Obviously, every pound counts for handling and acceleration, but not
necessarily on top speed with such a small difference.

Pat
Old August 24th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
johnny p.

John McGaw wrote:

> Just keep on truckin' and to hell with the weather! ;=)

That picture is beautiful, but my Miata has no heater! I can wear more
clothes but the damn windows fog up.

yrs jp
Old August 26th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> As to the autobahns in the 70's--someone was always going faster than you
> were. There were at least two very high performance sports cars in the
> local area (Trier, Bitburg, Eifel area, etc. that commonly were well above
> 120mph when noticed on the autobahn. One was a Ferrari, and the other a
> German made mid engine car with no obvious makers mark. Of the two, the
> German car looked like speed incarnate, even when parked.
> It may have been a prototype, or a custom build, I never found out the
> details.

sounds like maybe a BMW M1, ever seen those bad boys? They never
'officially' came to the US but they were barnstorming Europe and I think
their looks could be described as 'speed incarnate' ;-) Google it and see
if it brings back those (high speed) memories!

Chris
99BBB

Old August 27th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

My NA topped out at an indicated 116 or so with the top down. Didn't seem to
be any stability issue at that speed though.
I've had the NB around 120 allot of times (very stable) but haven't taken
the risk to hold her down long enough to see what she's capable of. The
value of a (even a very good) radar detector is pretty much nil at those
speeds.

I would like to know though!

Chris
99BBB

Old August 27th 10, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I was not aware that the Miata was capable of speeds above 120mph.

119 for the 1.6, 123 for the 1.8..

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...zda-Miata.aspx

Of course you must consider the color, the white ones being much faster
due to less photon flow resistance.

If Leon were here he could explain it....

The Usenet Improvement Project: