How often to change BMW X5 synthetic oil?

Old June 20th 05, 02:18 AM
Shivani

Default How often to change BMW X5 synthetic oil?

I put synthetic oil in my X5 recently. How often should I change it? I
went for a oil change at a place where they had never touched a X5 and
so they could not reset the on board computer and they could not tell
me how often should I change the oil. All they knew was that they were
putting synthetic oil. It freaked me out but now I have to deal with
what they have put in.

Old June 20th 05, 02:53 AM
tech27

Bad move. You need to be careful what grade of oil they used, and you should
ONLY use the BMW filter too.

oups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 02:25 PM
zerouali

RTFM

oups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 10:53 PM
Huw

"tech27" > wrote in message
. verio.net...
> Bad move. You need to be careful what grade of oil they used, and you
> should ONLY use the BMW filter too.

BMW would have you believe that their oil specification is special and that
only this should ever be used. However a selection of their engines are
fitted to Land Rover vehicles and have the same service schedule but with a
much wider choice of oil quality grades [due to the specifications being
Internationally recognised cross-brand ones] and viscosity grades for given
ambient temperatures.

As far as filters go then any equivalent quality pattern item will do the
job as is the case with any other car brand.

Huw