Magnaflow Bolt On Catalytic Converter?

Old April 22nd 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Magnaflow Bolt On Catalytic Converter?

The heat shield on the catalytic converter on my '95 is rattling and
unless there is a clever fix like the stainless steel hose clamp
solution for the down pipe heat shield I think I need a replacement.
The cheapest bolt on replacement appears to be the Managflow 23696 for
$85 from Performance Peddler. Has anyone used one of these? Are they
OK or junk? Thank you.
Old April 24th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

On Apr 22, 10:14*am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
> The heat shield on the catalytic converter on my '95 is rattling and
> unless there is a clever fix like the stainless steel hose clamp
> solution for the down pipe heat shield I think I need a replacement.
> The cheapest bolt on replacement appears to be the Managflow 23696 for
> $85 from Performance Peddler. *Has anyone used one of these? *Are they
> OK or junk? *Thank you.

I put one in a few months back in my 97. Works fine, fit perfectly. As
an FYI, it does not include gaskets or hardware, so make sure you
order those at the same time you get the converter. The gaskets will
crumble when you go to remove the converter and usually cannot be re-
used.

Since I'm a cheap ******* I got new gaskets and just cut the studs out
of the old converter and re-used them. Put a generous amount of anti-
sieze compound on the threads so if you have to take it apart down the
road you can.

Chris
Old April 25th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Hal wrote:
> On Apr 22, 10:14 am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
>> The heat shield on the catalytic converter on my '95 is rattling and
>> unless there is a clever fix like the stainless steel hose clamp
>> solution for the down pipe heat shield I think I need a replacement.
>> The cheapest bolt on replacement appears to be the Managflow 23696 for
>> $85 from Performance Peddler. Has anyone used one of these? Are they
>> OK or junk? Thank you.

> I put one in a few months back in my 97. Works fine, fit perfectly. As
> an FYI, it does not include gaskets or hardware, so make sure you
> order those at the same time you get the converter. The gaskets will
> crumble when you go to remove the converter and usually cannot be re-
> used.
>
> Since I'm a cheap ******* I got new gaskets and just cut the studs out
> of the old converter and re-used them. Put a generous amount of anti-
> sieze compound on the threads so if you have to take it apart down the
> road you can.
>
> Chris

Thanks Chris, that gives me confidence to go for it... and I love the
idea about reusing the studs.
Old May 12th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Hal wrote:
> On Apr 22, 10:14 am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
>> The heat shield on the catalytic converter on my '95 is rattling and
>> unless there is a clever fix like the stainless steel hose clamp
>> solution for the down pipe heat shield I think I need a replacement.
>> The cheapest bolt on replacement appears to be the Managflow 23696 for
>> $85 from Performance Peddler. Has anyone used one of these? Are they
>> OK or junk? Thank you.

> I put one in a few months back in my 97. Works fine, fit perfectly. As
> an FYI, it does not include gaskets or hardware, so make sure you
> order those at the same time you get the converter. The gaskets will
> crumble when you go to remove the converter and usually cannot be re-
> used.
>
> Since I'm a cheap ******* I got new gaskets and just cut the studs out
> of the old converter and re-used them. Put a generous amount of anti-
> sieze compound on the threads so if you have to take it apart down the
> road you can.
>
> Chris

Chris (or anyone else that may happen to read this),
I received the magnaflow cat. It appears to be the correct size but the
flanges are not threaded, they are just holes. My local auto parts
store only has exhaust bolts for threaded units (one short threaded
side, one long threaded side, one nut). I guess I will try a regular
hardware store for a bolt that can do the job. Can you tell me if you
had to removed the cat-back section to get the old cat out? Or did you
just cut the cat? With the bolts pointing out each end of the cat
something has to move out of the way in order to remove it. Since I
don't have a lift using a sawsall was not possible (can't fit the
sawsall under the car). Thank you for any tips that you may have.
Regards,
Old May 12th 10, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> Hal wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 10:14 am, Christopher Muto > wrote:
>>> The heat shield on the catalytic converter on my '95 is rattling and
>>> unless there is a clever fix like the stainless steel hose clamp
>>> solution for the down pipe heat shield I think I need a replacement.
>>> The cheapest bolt on replacement appears to be the Managflow 23696 for
>>> $85 from Performance Peddler. Has anyone used one of these? Are they
>>> OK or junk? Thank you.

>> I put one in a few months back in my 97. Works fine, fit perfectly. As
>> an FYI, it does not include gaskets or hardware, so make sure you
>> order those at the same time you get the converter. The gaskets will
>> crumble when you go to remove the converter and usually cannot be re-
>> used.
>>
>> Since I'm a cheap ******* I got new gaskets and just cut the studs out
>> of the old converter and re-used them. Put a generous amount of anti-
>> sieze compound on the threads so if you have to take it apart down the
>> road you can.
>>
>> Chris

> Chris (or anyone else that may happen to read this),
> I received the magnaflow cat. It appears to be the correct size but the
> flanges are not threaded, they are just holes. My local auto parts
> store only has exhaust bolts for threaded units (one short threaded
> side, one long threaded side, one nut). I guess I will try a regular
> hardware store for a bolt that can do the job. Can you tell me if you
> had to removed the cat-back section to get the old cat out? Or did you
> just cut the cat? With the bolts pointing out each end of the cat
> something has to move out of the way in order to remove it. Since I
> don't have a lift using a sawsall was not possible (can't fit the
> sawsall under the car). Thank you for any tips that you may have.
> Regards,

Hi Chris,

the exhaust system will have some give on the rubber hangers, enough to
get it past the threaded bolts on the catalytic converter.

That said, I still had one bolt/nut completely freeze up on my '96M, and
this was a number years ago.
That one required cutting, which as you pointed out, was not easy to do
without a lift. That one required some contortionist tricks.

I used some bolts that I picked up at the hardware store and they worked
fine. The aftermarket cat was on there for a few years before the car
was wrecked.

Good luck!

Pat
Old May 12th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

pws wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> Hal wrote:
>>>
>>> I put one in a few months back in my 97. Works fine, fit perfectly. As
>>> an FYI, it does not include gaskets or hardware, so make sure you
>>> order those at the same time you get the converter. The gaskets will
>>> crumble when you go to remove the converter and usually cannot be re-
>>> used.
>>>
>>> Since I'm a cheap ******* I got new gaskets and just cut the studs out
>>> of the old converter and re-used them. Put a generous amount of anti-
>>> sieze compound on the threads so if you have to take it apart down the
>>> road you can.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> Chris (or anyone else that may happen to read this),
>> I received the magnaflow cat. It appears to be the correct size but
>> the flanges are not threaded, they are just holes. My local auto
>> parts store only has exhaust bolts for threaded units (one short
>> threaded side, one long threaded side, one nut). I guess I will try a
>> regular hardware store for a bolt that can do the job. Can you tell
>> me if you had to removed the cat-back section to get the old cat out?
>> Or did you just cut the cat? With the bolts pointing out each end of
>> the cat something has to move out of the way in order to remove it.
>> Since I don't have a lift using a sawsall was not possible (can't fit
>> the sawsall under the car). Thank you for any tips that you may have.
>> Regards,

> Hi Chris,
>
> the exhaust system will have some give on the rubber hangers, enough to
> get it past the threaded bolts on the catalytic converter.
>
> That said, I still had one bolt/nut completely freeze up on my '96M, and
> this was a number years ago.
> That one required cutting, which as you pointed out, was not easy to do
> without a lift. That one required some contortionist tricks.
>
> I used some bolts that I picked up at the hardware store and they worked
> fine. The aftermarket cat was on there for a few years before the car
> was wrecked.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Pat

Thanks Pat! That is very helpful.
Old December 1st 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 5/12/2010 10:26 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> pws wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> Chris (or anyone else that may happen to read this),
>>> I received the magnaflow cat. It appears to be the correct size but
>>> the flanges are not threaded, they are just holes. My local auto
>>> parts store only has exhaust bolts for threaded units (one short
>>> threaded side, one long threaded side, one nut). I guess I will try a
>>> regular hardware store for a bolt that can do the job. Can you tell
>>> me if you had to removed the cat-back section to get the old cat out?
>>> Or did you just cut the cat? With the bolts pointing out each end of
>>> the cat something has to move out of the way in order to remove it.
>>> Since I don't have a lift using a sawsall was not possible (can't fit
>>> the sawsall under the car). Thank you for any tips that you may have.
>>> Regards,

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> the exhaust system will have some give on the rubber hangers, enough
>> to get it past the threaded bolts on the catalytic converter.
>>
>> That said, I still had one bolt/nut completely freeze up on my '96M,
>> and this was a number years ago.
>> That one required cutting, which as you pointed out, was not easy to
>> do without a lift. That one required some contortionist tricks.
>>
>> I used some bolts that I picked up at the hardware store and they
>> worked fine. The aftermarket cat was on there for a few years before
>> the car was wrecked.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Pat

> Thanks Pat! That is very helpful.

Just a follow up regarding the Managflow 23696 bolt on replacement cat
for the NA. It passed New York State inspection! It was advertised as
50 state legal but I understand NY to be a close second to CA's strict
emission testing and given how much cheaper it was to anything else on
the market I had my doubts about passing... but it was not a problem.
Hope this helps someone else that need to replace their cat.
Old December 3rd 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 12/1/2010 3:18 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:

> Just a follow up regarding the Managflow 23696 bolt on replacement cat
> for the NA. It passed New York State inspection! It was advertised as 50
> state legal but I understand NY to be a close second to CA's strict
> emission testing and given how much cheaper it was to anything else on
> the market I had my doubts about passing... but it was not a problem.
> Hope this helps someone else that need to replace their cat.

That is excellent news! Did you have nay problems with the installation?

Pat
Old December 4th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 12/2/2010 8:12 PM, pws wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 3:18 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>> Just a follow up regarding the Managflow 23696 bolt on replacement cat
>> for the NA. It passed New York State inspection! It was advertised as 50
>> state legal but I understand NY to be a close second to CA's strict
>> emission testing and given how much cheaper it was to anything else on
>> the market I had my doubts about passing... but it was not a problem.
>> Hope this helps someone else that need to replace their cat.

> That is excellent news! Did you have nay problems with the installation?
>
> Pat

the only surprise with the product was that it did not come with bolts
in the flanges like the oem cat that was removed had. but it wasn't a
big deal to get a set of bolts for the job and it argulably makes it
easier to install (no need to push things apart to position the new cat
between the down pipe and the catback). it appears that even the oem
replacement cats are like this given the picture of one on
finishlineperformance.com. regards,

catalytic converter loub Honda 3 September 6th 06 01:22 AM
Catalytic converter Bill Johnston Technology 1 July 23rd 06 07:18 PM
2000 Civic SI Catalytic Converter Flange Bolt Pattern dropsentra Honda 0 June 9th 06 07:36 PM
catalytic converter [email protected] Saturn 11 May 21st 06 08:21 PM
downpipe to catalytic converter bolt size? Mauricio Tavares VW water cooled 0 May 3rd 06 01:49 PM