'91 Accord Radio Power Question

Old March 24th 05, 03:04 AM
Phil

Default '91 Accord Radio Power Question

The radio in our '91 Accord would quit working frequently, the display
fading in and out, so I decided to replace the unit with a Panasonic CD
player. No problem, until I tried to locate the battery power lead that
provides 12V power all the time. This lead and all radio wiring leads are
clearly identified on the old Honda radio. Problem is, the continous power
lead is dead. And the Panasonic radio needs that lead to work, along with
power from the 12V Accessory lead. I provided 12 volt power from a terminal
in the fuse box, via a wire, and the Panasonic unit worked. Without this
power, it is dead, even with power from the Accessory position. Question
is, anyone know anything about the 12V battery lead to the radio dying, and
why? All fuses look good. Secondly, where is a good source to get
continous 12V battery power, even with the key out of the ignition?

Thank you,

- Phil

Old March 24th 05, 05:41 AM
motsco_ _

Phil wrote:
> The radio in our '91 Accord would quit working frequently, the display
> fading in and out, so I decided to replace the unit with a Panasonic CD
> player. No problem, until I tried to locate the battery power lead that
> provides 12V power all the time. This lead and all radio wiring leads are
> clearly identified on the old Honda radio. Problem is, the continous power
> lead is dead. And the Panasonic radio needs that lead to work, along with
> power from the 12V Accessory lead. I provided 12 volt power from a terminal
> in the fuse box, via a wire, and the Panasonic unit worked. Without this
> power, it is dead, even with power from the Accessory position. Question
> is, anyone know anything about the 12V battery lead to the radio dying, and
> why? All fuses look good. Secondly, where is a good source to get
> continous 12V battery power, even with the key out of the ignition?
>
> Thank you,
>
> - Phil

------------------------

The fuse that's blown may be under the hood, called 'Back-up' (radio)

'Curly'

Old March 24th 05, 07:54 AM
Phil

Thank you. That was exactly the problem!

Old March 24th 05, 08:24 AM
Randolph

Phil wrote:

> Thank you. That was exactly the problem!

<snip>
> >> battery lead to the radio dying, and why? All fuses look good.
> >> Secondly, where is a good source to get continous 12V battery power, even
> >> with the key out of the ignition?

<snip>

> > The fuse that's blown may be under the hood, called 'Back-up' (radio)

It is not a good idea to use the factory constant power wire for after
market stereos. With the factory stereo, the constant power wire is used
only for backup of the FM presets etc., it is not used to power the
stereo. Power to the stereo comes through the ignition switched wire.

On the after market stereo, power is taken from the constant on wire,
the ignition switched wire is used only to sense if ignition is on or
off. The constant on wire you used is fused with a 7.5A fuse and is
shared with the clock and the memory backup for the ECU. If you crank up
the volume a bit, you can easily exceed the 7.5A fuse rating.

It is better to pull a new wire from the under-dash fuse-box. It has
options connectors just for this purpose. Options connector "D" in your
Accord is always on, fused with a 50 Amp fuse located in the under-hood
fuse box. You will need to supply your own 10 Amp (or whatever is
recommended in the manual for the new stereo) fuse in line with the wire
to the stereo.
Old March 25th 05, 06:25 AM
Phil

Thank you for the informative answer. I may do as you suggested, but right
now, am wrestling with just trying to get the thing physically mounted!
What a pain! Impossible to gain access to fasten the rear of the unit to
anything under dash.

- Phil