Top 5 racing sims?

Old December 1st 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
news[_5_]

Default Top 5 racing sims?

co-worker wants to buy a Logitech G25 and wants to know what games to
get to go with it. I like my racing realistic... so much that I've been
racing a real dirt car for the last couple of years... so I've not
simmed much since about the time the rFactor demo came out...

What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
mean.

(and how about for me? What's the best of the best driving sims out
there for how the car drives.... graphics be dammed... I want the car to
feel like a real car would.)

I'm open to all types - oval, road, rally, pointy cars, even Need for
Speed if it's good enough. (uh... yeah... somehow I doubt any NFS is
going to be even close to realistic enough for me after a couple years
of getting real mud in my face.)

Ray
Old December 1st 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jwilson54

news wrote:
> co-worker wants to buy a Logitech G25 and wants to know what games to
> get to go with it. I like my racing realistic... so much that I've been
> racing a real dirt car for the last couple of years... so I've not
> simmed much since about the time the rFactor demo came out...
>
> What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
> He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
> mean.
>
> (and how about for me? What's the best of the best driving sims out
> there for how the car drives.... graphics be dammed... I want the car to
> feel like a real car would.)
>
> I'm open to all types - oval, road, rally, pointy cars, even Need for
> Speed if it's good enough. (uh... yeah... somehow I doubt any NFS is
> going to be even close to realistic enough for me after a couple years
> of getting real mud in my face.)
>
> Ray

nascar 2003 season is realistic enough for a good majority of nascar
drivers
Old December 1st 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

news wrote:
> co-worker wants to buy a Logitech G25 and wants to know what games to
> get to go with it. I like my racing realistic... so much that I've been
> racing a real dirt car for the last couple of years... so I've not
> simmed much since about the time the rFactor demo came out...

[snip]

You don't spec out the rigs you have, but if you have decent hardware
(IMHO of course):

-GT Legends
-GTR2
-rFactor
-Richard Burns Rally

All in no particular order. Those are the only *must haves* in my
opinion, out of what you can easily buy today. Jury is still out on
RACE, the new Simbin touring car sim - you can get soming similar with
the ETCC mod for rFactor.
My sentimental favorite for #5 has to be GPL - with all the eye-candy
and sound updates, it still has such a unique and complete feel that
I'm sure it will never leave my hard drive. And with the shifter and
clutch, its one of the few sims that can setup to *require* clutching
on shifts.

HTH,
Kendt

Old December 1st 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

If you could only have one sim, the rFactor is the way to go. The
sheer magnitude of the mod options is incredible. You can drive
practically any type of car on any track. There are even some dirt
racing options.

For pure realism, Netkar Pro is supposedly the way to go. I tried the
demo and was intrigued. Talk of all the problems (bugs, poor online
performance) has kept me from jumping in with both feet. Well, that
and the fact that rFactor is so good.

Other than that, for current sims you are looking at GTR, GTR2, or GTL.
Those are probably a lot easier for a new sim racer to get into.
There are also some rally choices, but I don't know anything about
those. If oval racing is desired, I would start searching for a copy
of N2003.

Pat Dotson

Old December 1st 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
news[_5_]

wrote:
> news wrote:
>> co-worker wants to buy a Logitech G25 and wants to know what games to
>> get to go with it. I like my racing realistic... so much that I've been
>> racing a real dirt car for the last couple of years... so I've not
>> simmed much since about the time the rFactor demo came out...

> [snip]
>
> You don't spec out the rigs you have, but if you have decent hardware
> (IMHO of course):
>
> -GT Legends
> -GTR2
> -rFactor
> -Richard Burns Rally
>
> All in no particular order. Those are the only *must haves* in my
> opinion, out of what you can easily buy today. Jury is still out on
> RACE, the new Simbin touring car sim - you can get soming similar with
> the ETCC mod for rFactor.
> My sentimental favorite for #5 has to be GPL - with all the eye-candy
> and sound updates, it still has such a unique and complete feel that
> I'm sure it will never leave my hard drive. And with the shifter and
> clutch, its one of the few sims that can setup to *require* clutching
> on shifts.
>
> HTH,
> Kendt

That's close to what I sent to him:
NASCAR Racing 2003 - probably the best NASCAR style one.
Live for Speed
GTR ( starforce )
rFactor
Grand Prix Legends... old, and extremely difficult. 1967 F1 cars. With
1967 tires. And no downforce.
richard burns rally - rally cars
Dirt Track Racer 2

I'm waiting for him to get the G25 so I can try it and justify it.

btw... my gaming rig is an A64 3000/512MB/GeForce 6200, so it's not
totally out of date...

Ray
Old December 1st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jason moyer

news wrote:

> What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
> He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
> mean.

GTR2
GT Legends
Nascar Racing 2003 Season
Richard Burns Rally

Nothing else is worth bothering with at this point in time, altho if
he's into nostalgia Grand Prix Legends isn't that bad.

Old December 1st 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
AT

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> news wrote:
>
> > What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
> > He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
> > mean.

> GTR2
> GT Legends
> Nascar Racing 2003 Season
> Richard Burns Rally
>
> Nothing else is worth bothering with at this point in time, altho if
> he's into nostalgia Grand Prix Legends isn't that bad.

"Isn't that bad", rather like a vicar saying that the bible's not a bad
read. GPL was seminal and no doubt influenced the drive for more realistic
physics in the subsequent sims. It breathed life into this NG for so many
years and got myself and many others interested in racing sims. Even after 8
years it's still one of the most inspirational and involving sims.

Old December 1st 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Dave F

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> news wrote:
>
>> What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
>> He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
>> mean.

> GTR2
> GT Legends
> Nascar Racing 2003 Season
> Richard Burns Rally
>
> Nothing else is worth bothering with at this point in time, altho if
> he's into nostalgia Grand Prix Legends isn't that bad.

No rFactor? You've got to be f**king kidding, although i did see your avatar
at RSC....which makes no sense.

CTDP F1 for rFactor is the most fantastic ride I've ever had in sim racing.
Pure bliss.
--
David G Fisher

Old December 1st 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Milo Johnson

"Dave F" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jason moyer" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> news wrote:
>>
>>> What would be the best 5 picks for him to buy (and why?)
>>> He wants realism, but maybe not quite "real" realism if you know what I
>>> mean.

>> GTR2
>> GT Legends
>> Nascar Racing 2003 Season
>> Richard Burns Rally
>>
>> Nothing else is worth bothering with at this point in time, altho if
>> he's into nostalgia Grand Prix Legends isn't that bad.

> No rFactor? You've got to be f**king kidding, although i did see your
> avatar at RSC....which makes no sense.
>
> CTDP F1 for rFactor is the most fantastic ride I've ever had in sim
> racing. Pure bliss.
> --
> David G Fisher

Race is great game for online racing. It is rather new and some people don't
care for it mostly because the title at this point is not moddable and you
But, if you like closer racing than GTR2 or GTL which I also like very much
Race is the online game and offline the AI is pretty darn good.
There also is RFactor which has a very wide variety of mods for it so if
there is not a dedicated game for a certain kind of racing the chances of
RFactor having it are very good.
There are some very good mods for RFactor and some very bad ones which just
take up disk space and some are hard to uninstall so be fairly careful about
what you download.
RFactor Central has reviews of the biggest share of the mods so if you get
RFactor that is definitely the place to start getting setup.

MILO

Old December 1st 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Milo Johnson

"Milo Johnson" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Dave F" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "jason moyer" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> GTR2
>>> GT Legends
>>> Nascar Racing 2003 Season
>>> Richard Burns Rally
>>>
>>> Nothing else is worth bothering with at this point in time, altho if
>>> he's into nostalgia Grand Prix Legends isn't that bad.

>> No rFactor? You've got to be f**king kidding, although i did see your
>> avatar at RSC....which makes no sense.
>>
>> CTDP F1 for rFactor is the most fantastic ride I've ever had in sim
>> racing. Pure bliss.
>> --
>> David G Fisher
>>

> Race is great game for online racing. It is rather new and some people
> don't care for it mostly because the title at this point is not moddable
> But, if you like closer racing than GTR2 or GTL which I also like very
> much Race is the online game and offline the AI is pretty darn good.
> There also is RFactor which has a very wide variety of mods for it so if
> there is not a dedicated game for a certain kind of racing the chances of
> RFactor having it are very good.
> There are some very good mods for RFactor and some very bad ones which
> just take up disk space and some are hard to uninstall so be fairly
> careful about what you download.
> RFactor Central has reviews of the biggest share of the mods so if you get
> RFactor that is definitely the place to start getting setup.
>
> MILO
>>ps: Also there is the sim that seperates the men from the boys and still
>>has a large user group.

That game is the father and grandfather of all our racing sims today or at
least the ones I play!
GPL is still the King!!!

What racing sims have really large cties to just explore? Jon Purkey Simulators 10 June 29th 06 06:05 PM
How many racing sims? gse Simulators 7 December 27th 05 11:11 AM
Where are the new open cockpit racing sims? nathantw Simulators 4 November 22nd 05 05:51 PM
Mustang Returns to Sports Car Racing Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 0 January 29th 05 05:39 PM
TrackIR and Racing Sims? BRH Simulators 4 December 21st 04 12:20 PM