[OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Old March 11th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default [OT] F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

Are Bernie & the gang on drugs? I'd repeat the new rules here, but they
went right over my head when the BBC just ran through them. I really
must learn to pay more attention now that watching F1 requires revision
notes.

Andrew McP... only a part time F1 fan, obviously, otherwise the Bahrain
GP wouldn't have crept up on me like this. Not that the first few races
count anyway. Only the European races count, everyone knows that. ;-)
Old March 11th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default F1 Qualifying... run that past me again

After watching it this AM, I really like it. A LOT more action than any
format I recall from before.

The short version of the Knockout Format:

Session 1 - Timed session in which all 22 drivers attempt a timed lap.
Bottom 6 drivers are dropped at the end of the session and qual in
P17-P22. No times valid after the session times out.

Session 2 - Timed session same as Session 1. Bottom 6 drivers are
dropped and qual in P11-P16.

Session 3 - Timed session. Teams declare to the FIA what starting fuel
level they are running. This will be the MAX level that they can top
off to after the Qual session. Only other difference is that laps
started before the session times out WILL count.

Old March 11th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On 11 Mar 2006 06:40:12 -0800, "Darus" > wrote:

>After watching it this AM, I really like it. A LOT more action than any
>format I recall from before.
>
>The short version of the Knockout Format:
>
>Session 1 - Timed session in which all 22 drivers attempt a timed lap.
>Bottom 6 drivers are dropped at the end of the session and qual in
>P17-P22. No times valid after the session times out.
>
>Session 2 - Timed session same as Session 1. Bottom 6 drivers are
>dropped and qual in P11-P16.
>
>Session 3 - Timed session. Teams declare to the FIA what starting fuel
>level they are running. This will be the MAX level that they can top
>off to after the Qual session. Only other difference is that laps
>started before the session times out WILL count.

I missed the start of the show. Are they allowed to change tires in
sessions 1&2?
Old March 11th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

AFAIK they can change them whenever, up to 7 sets per weekend

Old March 11th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After watching it this AM, I really like it. A LOT more action than any
> format I recall from before.

I agree with you. It really does make qualifying interesting to watch. It's
been a long time since I actually watched a qualifying round in its
entirety.

Old March 12th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Pushing the limits a bit"? You're kidding right? MS ran a total of 2
laps in the first segment IIRC and I'll bet Ferrari wasn't the only
team that ran very few laps. The 2nd segments wasn't a lap-fest either
for the Scuderia and maybe another 3-4 in the final segment to take P1.
Sure, it's 10x more than last year, but not so different than the 1
hour qual sessions of years ago. In fact it's a lot better for those
(like me) who attend GP's. Qual sessions were pretty boring last year
at Indy (only to followed up by "other" issues") but this format was
setup for the fans it would seem.

I do agree on the refueling plan as it seems like an afterthought.

Max: "Hmmmm...this new qual plan is good. Anything want to add anything
else?
FIA Lackey: Sure, how about a complex refueling plan, but only for the
Top 10 cars?"
Max: BRILLIANT!

>From reading websites, mags etc and hearing commentary, it sounds like

the FIA wants very different fuel strategies spread through the field.

Old March 12th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

What a load of "created just for TV" crap!!

BK

oups.com...

Old March 12th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Gee....care to fathom who racing is catered to? With the so called
"largest TV audience" in the world, I guess "created for TV" is just
what the doctor ordered. You have a better idea? Lemme guess....the old
12 lap/1 hour session where all the teams hid in the paddock until 10
minutes remained and then went out and exchanged fast times between the
same 4 drivers? Yep, entertaining TV no doubt.