rFactor review

Old September 4th 05, 04:33 PM
Steve Whitty

"whooo" > wrote in message

> Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s. Accelerate/corner/crash
> just about sums them up!

they're compensating.

cheers

steve

Old September 4th 05, 04:40 PM
whooo

Steve Whitty wrote:
> "whooo" > wrote in message
>
>>Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s. Accelerate/corner/crash
>>just about sums them up!

> they're compensating.
>
> cheers
>
> steve

LOL!
Old September 4th 05, 04:59 PM
Jeff Reid

> Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s.

Having played Need For Speed Underground 2, er, uhm, make
that having played F1C99-02, I like the faster pace of the
F1's, and it's a lot easier to race if you let the cars go
by at the start and end up with a clear track after most
of the drivers crash (I can't keep up with the few players
that are actually fast anyway). Also having played GPL
helps quite a bit since most servers turn off all the assists
(except auto-clutch).

Old September 4th 05, 05:06 PM
Remco Moedt

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:59:05 -0700, "Jeff Reid" >
wrote:

>> Don't know why people jump straight into the F1s.

>Having played Need For Speed Underground 2, er, uhm, make
>that having played F1C99-02, I like the faster pace of the
>F1's, and it's a lot easier to race if you let the cars go
>by at the start and end up with a clear track after most
>of the drivers crash (I can't keep up with the few players
>that are actually fast anyway). Also having played GPL
>helps quite a bit since most servers turn off all the assists
>(except auto-clutch).

But that's the thing I wonder about...as long you're driving on your
own the F1 is nice, but when you're racing others it's not. The F1 is
difficult enough to keep on the road, let alone when someone is
filling your mirrors.....

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 4th 05, 05:27 PM
ymenard

>"Jeff Reid" > wrote
> One cool effect with an online replay is that if you just jump to the
> end and back up a lap, you can see all the cars that left as ghost cars
> (the surviving cars go right though these cars).

That's not an effect, more like a bug.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 4th 05, 06:04 PM
Jeff Reid

> But that's the thing I wonder about...as long you're driving on your
> own the F1 is nice, but when you're racing others it's not. The F1 is
> difficult enough to keep on the road, let alone when someone is
> filling your mirrors.....

Because of the speed, the cars usually spread out pretty quickly, it's
just a matter of surviving the first few turns. Of course starting at
the back, you don't have to worry about someone filling your mirrors.
Anyone you pass will probably stay passed as well. Then again, everyone
can't start at the back of the pack, so the other rule. If another
car is gaining on you, let it by. Eventually you end up in the
right spot in field. Once players acclimate to the F1, the variation
in braking points will diminish, and there should be fewer collisions.

Old September 4th 05, 06:07 PM
Jeff Reid

I just got done trying out all the cars at Toban GP. All of
the sedans, except for the rhez, and the trainer seem to be within
a few seconds of each other, the rhez is a bit slower, and the
F1 is in a class by itself.

How would others here rank the sedans in terms of lap times?
I assume that the Howstons would be the quickest, based on price.

Old September 5th 05, 12:13 PM
Byron Forbes

"Remco Moedt" > wrote in message

> Weak controller support/replay facilities/netcode/

Is your only issue with the netcode the prac/qual time? Other than that,
and race reporting atm, it seems every bit as good as papy stuff so far.
Arguably even better since collisions aren't exaggerated.

This is the first sim to properly challenge Papy sims
since..................well um..................um,
ah.....................well, since forever!

Old September 5th 05, 12:30 PM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:13:03 +1000, "Byron Forbes"
> wrote:

>"Remco Moedt" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Weak controller support/replay facilities/netcode/
>>

> Is your only issue with the netcode the prac/qual time? Other than that,
>and race reporting atm, it seems every bit as good as papy stuff so far.
>Arguably even better since collisions aren't exaggerated.

Yeah, the prac/qualy time is part of it, but also something I can't
put my finger on yet. The other cars don't 'talk' with the road, it
seems. It's a bit like they're floating above the road. I can't
exactly see if the other guy is making a mistake, like locking a
wheel. Yes, you see tire smoke, but so far I haven't seen from which
tire. You also don't see the suspension move, so it's also hard to
tell how hard someone is braking. Maybe these are options, maybe I've
to crank op the graphics to see these things, time will tell.

> This is the first sim to properly challenge Papy sims
>since..................well um..................um,
>ah.....................well, since forever!

It has potential, that's for sure.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 5th 05, 05:08 PM
jason moyer

Byron Forbes wrote:

> This is the first sim to properly challenge Papy sims
> ah.....................well, since forever!

Since RBR?