WOW...

Old August 10th 05, 10:10 PM
Plowboy

Default WOW...

this group is D E A D... 3 posts in about 3 days? woo.

Old August 10th 05, 10:23 PM
reggie white

Plowboy wrote:
> this group is D E A D... 3 posts in about 3 days? woo.

thank assholes like mitch
Old August 11th 05, 12:06 AM
Ruud Dingemans

Plowboy wrote:

> this group is D E A D... 3 posts in about 3 days? woo.

'Holiday season' comes to mind. I know the concept of 'going out' is
strange to some of us screen-bound humanoids, but...

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -24)
Old August 11th 05, 12:54 AM
Nick

It shows how far up Papy's backside most of the ppl here were. Papy
die, so does this group. Sims like GTR and Richard Burns Rally don't
interest most of the ppl here because a) they simulate proper
motorsports with right turns, and b) don't have 'Papyrus' written on
the box. Well, it's their loss.

Someone said that the reason the group is dying is that everybody's
holding out on rFactor, and not enough ppl have GTR. WTF??? GTR is
one of the best sims released in the last few years and not enough ppl
have it in rec.autos.simulators? Call yourselves sim fans?!?

Old August 11th 05, 01:36 AM
jason moyer

Nick wrote:
> It shows how far up Papy's backside most of the ppl here were.

I have my head up Kaemmer's ass more than most people, and the only
reason I haven't been posting is because I'm too busy driving GTP and
RBR while I wait for iRacing.

Old August 11th 05, 10:48 AM
John Simmons

In article .com>,
says...
> It shows how far up Papy's backside most of the ppl here were. Papy
> die, so does this group. Sims like GTR and Richard Burns Rally don't
> interest most of the ppl here because a) they simulate proper
> motorsports with right turns, and b) don't have 'Papyrus' written on
> the box. Well, it's their loss.
>
> Someone said that the reason the group is dying is that everybody's
> holding out on rFactor, and not enough ppl have GTR. WTF??? GTR is
> one of the best sims released in the last few years and not enough ppl
> have it in rec.autos.simulators? Call yourselves sim fans?!?

Regardless of how you feel about the style of racing that Papy chose to
pursue, you'd be a moron to discount the effect they had on sim racing.
Everything *not* released by Papy has been simply mediocre and really
not worthy of your time unless you absolutely love the genre being
represented by a given "sim" to forgive the game's flaws (obvious or
otherwise).

The real reason this group has trailed off is because there's no sim
that's really worth talking about right now.

- iRacing has basically killed themselves before their first
product is even close to being released

- GTR is plagued with bugs and online racing problems (from
what I hear)

- Richard Burns Rally probably doesn't appeal to very many
people (me, for instance).

- EA's stockcar game is typical of EA's past attempts at
creating a stockcar sim.

As far as I'm concerned, rFactor is pretty much all we have to look
forward to at this point, and from what I've seen of the demo and the
various mods already being created, it might just fit the bill as the
best thing to hit sim racing since Grand Prix Legends. Even after
having said that, I'll probably be racing with NR2K3 for a long time
after rFactor's release since I really like the aero88 mod, and it may
be some time before something similar comes along for rFactor.

Now, if we can just get some of the folks here to stop assuming they
know what's best for the rest of us, r.a.s. just might come back from
the dead, but I'm not really expecting that to happen.

Old August 11th 05, 11:57 AM
Byron Forbes

"John Simmons" > wrote in message

> The real reason this group has trailed off is because there's no sim
> that's really worth talking about right now.

That's all that needs saying!

Old August 11th 05, 12:12 PM
Byron Forbes

"Nick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It shows how far up Papy's backside most of the ppl here were. Papy
> die, so does this group. Sims like GTR and Richard Burns Rally don't
> interest most of the ppl here because a) they simulate proper
> motorsports with right turns, and b) don't have 'Papyrus' written on
> the box. Well, it's their loss.

Too funny.

> Someone said that the reason the group is dying is that everybody's
> holding out on rFactor, and not enough ppl have GTR. WTF??? GTR is
> one of the best sims released in the last few years and not enough ppl
> have it in rec.autos.simulators? Call yourselves sim fans?!?

GTR is one of the best sims released in the last few years - yes. And
that's why SFA people are posting here. GTR stinks - just another money
spinner that abused the genre.

7 years since GPL was released - the last road racing sim worthy of
purchase. The mods for NR2003 being the only thing saving us all from total
devastation! Before people jump on the fanatical anti FIRST (iRacing)
bandwagon, they should remember this. There was no need for them to even
give us pta and cts at all. Not that I think there is a need for the mod
bashing they're doing atm though. Sad times really.

Old August 11th 05, 12:19 PM
Nick

> Regardless of how you feel about the style of racing that Papy chose
> to pursue, you'd be a moron to discount the effect they had on sim
> racing.

Oh for sure, and perhaps the most important thing Papy did was to show
publishers that you could make money making simulators. Without that
knowledge, would we have Richard Burns Rally, for example?

> GTR is plagued with bugs and online racing problems (from what
> I hear)

You don't have it?! This is rec.autos.simulators, not
rec.nascar.simulators!! Isn't it worth =A320 to find out? Wouldn't
there be more people in this newsgroup discussing simulators, if
everybody here actually bothered to go out and buy them? If we (the
sim community) don't buy sims, we are telling the publishers that the
market isn't there, so that means less sims in the future.

> Richard Burns Rally probably doesn't appeal to very many people
> (me, for instance).

I think this is the major problem. NASCAR the 'sport' to me is
extremely boring. Driving round in circles takes a bit of a struggle
for me to even understand why people would want to do it, let alone
watch it. But Papy's NASCAR sims actually got me interested in
watching NASCAR for a bit, last year when it was on Eurosport over here
in the UK. Even that utterly stupid Chase thing in the last 10 races
still kept me watching the highlight shows. But this season, NASCAR
moved to NASN (a subscription service) and I don't miss it. In other
words, Papy got me interested in NASCAR for a bit. The only reason I
am kinda watching the IRL at the moment is because of Wheldon and
Franchitti keeping the British end up ;-)

Richard Burns Rally is a phenomenal sim. It requires some driving
skills (like left-foot braking) that no other sim has been able to
replicate. My argument is: this is a newsgroup for people who like
sims, not people who like NASCAR. If you don't like rallying, you
should still like RBR on a sim level. It may even provoke your
interest in the best motorsport in the world (imo). Just like Papy got
me watching a motor'sport' that I wouldn't have touched with a barge
pole otherwise. To paraphrase your first comment, "Regardless of how
you feel about the style of racing that RBR simulates, you'd be a moron
not to at least try it for yourself."

Old August 11th 05, 01:06 PM
jason moyer

John Simmons wrote:

> The real reason this group has trailed off is because there's no sim
> that's really worth talking about right now.

You really should give RBR a go, but...what about GTP? Great multi,
great physics, great graphics/sound...it demonstrates pretty well how
far n2003 is ahead of every other engine while also showing what can
happen when a skilled mod group works with software that isn't a POS to
begin with.