To USENET Viewers of this group....

Old June 19th 12, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default To USENET Viewers of this group....

Is there a way you can describe your view of this group - what threads you see? Since I'm too cheap to acquire a Usenet emulator and don't want newsgroups downloaded to my harddrive.

I'll tell you what i see via Google - LOTS of politics, smut, stuff for sale, and occasional threads regarding road etiquette, laws related to driving, etc.

-ChrisCoaster
Old June 20th 12, 02:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:05:53 PM UTC-4, Arif Khokar wrote:
> On 6/19/2012 7:31 AM, .net wrote:
>
> > Is there a way you can describe your view of this group - what
> > threads you see? Since I'm too cheap to acquire a Usenet emulator and
> > don't want newsgroups downloaded to my harddrive.

> I don't see many threads (as you described) posted because my
> newsreader's kill filter is fairly effective. If you don't want to use
> a newsreader, then maybe there's a browser plugin or greasemonkey script
> that allows you to use Google groups the same way.

___________________
Well, I did mention that I replied to my own thread, above, through "Agent". It does have filters but I wouldn't begin to know how to filter out a dozen 4140 Solutions Manuals posts(!), racist prattle, and religous ramblings.

-CC
Old June 20th 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

On 6/19/2012 9:38 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:05:53 PM UTC-4, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> On 6/19/2012 7:31 AM, .net wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way you can describe your view of this group - what
>>> threads you see? Since I'm too cheap to acquire a Usenet emulator
>>> and don't want newsgroups downloaded to my harddrive.

>> I don't see many threads (as you described) posted because my
>> newsreader's kill filter is fairly effective. If you don't want to
>> use a newsreader, then maybe there's a browser plugin or
>> greasemonkey script that allows you to use Google groups the same
>> way.

> ___________________ Well, I did mention that I replied to my own
> thread, above, through "Agent". It does have filters but I wouldn't
> begin to know how to filter out a dozen 4140 Solutions Manuals
> posts(!), racist prattle, and religous ramblings.

First off, set your word wrap to 72 characters. Second, your best
chance of filtering a lot of the crap that ends up in this newsgroup is
to filter out posts to multiple newsgroups. The trolls and spammers
tend to post the same or similar sets of newsgroups. So pick one or
more newsgroups that you don't subscribe to and filter out posts that
are cross-posted to them.

Old June 21st 12, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:56:18 PM UTC-4, Arif Khokar wrote:
> On 6/19/2012 9:38 PM, .com wrote:

> >> I don't see many threads (as you described) posted because my
> >> newsreader's kill filter is fairly effective. If you don't want to
> >> use a newsreader, then maybe there's a browser plugin or
> >> greasemonkey script that allows you to use Google groups the same
> >> way.

> > ___________________ Well, I did mention that I replied to my own
> > thread, above, through "Agent". It does have filters but I wouldn't
> > begin to know how to filter out a dozen 4140 Solutions Manuals
> > posts(!), racist prattle, and religous ramblings.

> First off, set your word wrap to 72 characters. Second, your best
> chance of filtering a lot of the crap that ends up in this newsgroup is
> to filter out posts to multiple newsgroups. The trolls and spammers
> tend to post the same or similar sets of newsgroups. So pick one or
> more newsgroups that you don't subscribe to and filter out posts that
> are cross-posted to them.

______________________________
I am typing this from my PC. The word wrap issue occurs when I send from my mobile device.

I just need some help learning how to use the filters avail on a newsreader. GoogleGroups has no filters, so no sense in asking about it. This Agent thing is another story - lots of filter options, just don't know what they mean.

-CC
Old June 22nd 12, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 6/20/2012 5:56 PM, Arif Khokar wrote:
> On 6/19/2012 9:38 PM, wrote:

>>> I don't see many threads (as you described) posted because my
>>> newsreader's kill filter is fairly effective. If you don't want to
>>> use a newsreader, then maybe there's a browser plugin or
>>> greasemonkey script that allows you to use Google groups the same
>>> way.

>> ___________________ Well, I did mention that I replied to my own
>> thread, above, through "Agent". It does have filters but I wouldn't
>> begin to know how to filter out a dozen 4140 Solutions Manuals
>> posts(!), racist prattle, and religous ramblings.

> First off, set your word wrap to 72 characters. Second, your best chance
> of filtering a lot of the crap that ends up in this newsgroup is to
> filter out posts to multiple newsgroups. The trolls and spammers tend to
> post the same or similar sets of newsgroups. So pick one or more
> newsgroups that you don't subscribe to and filter out posts that are
> cross-posted to them.

Uh, I can look at the thread titles and posters and know pretty much
what to <mark as read> right away.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!