Suitable Racing Sims / Games for 64bit Windoze 7?

Old August 7th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
petergagg

Default Suitable Racing Sims / Games for 64bit Windoze 7?

Hi all....

I have just upgraded to a new Windoze 7 Home Premium (64 bit) pc and
want to install several of my PC racing sims, but.... (having come from
a Windoze XP pc)....

Before I start installing my (many) sims, I thought I'd get some hints
and tips from the gathered knowledge base here, to see what programs
will run ok. Hopefully I will then avoid having to uninstall programs
after discovering they will not run under Win7....

Does anyone know of an on-line list of games that will / will not run
under Win7? or does anyone know if the following games run ok on Win 7
(64 bit)?

Sims I'm hoping to run ok include:.....
Grand Prix Legends
rFactor
TOCA Race car Driver 3
GTR2
GT Legends
MotoGP2
DiRT2

Other games (non racing sims) I may want to install include:.....
MS Flight Sim X
Far Cry 2
GTAIV
COD Black ops

Any help / info / advice appreciated... Thanx 8-)

--
Remove "nospam" from reply to address.

Old August 7th 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
petergagg

Bad form to reply to my own message, but might be useful info for others....

I have now done a few searches and found a few lists of win 7 compatible
games (mostly out of date though)...

Looks like, from my list of games, that the following should all work
fine with win7:

rFactor
GTR Evolution
MS Flight Sim X
Far Cry 2
GTAIV (San Andreas)

I reckon (as they are still fairly new games) that DiRT2 and COD Black
Ops should work fine too, but we'll see...

So at least I have some games to play, if not all the games I wanted...

8-)

--
Remove "nospam" from reply to address.

Old August 10th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
petergagg

On 08/08/2011 05:08, Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> The sound in GPL is the only thing I have struggled with, but that was happening
> before I changed to Win7, and since I developed my nasty little iRacing habit GPL
> hasn't featured much in my virtual life. I'm more likely to fire up NKPro or Shift2
> for a change of scenery.
>
> Andrew McP

Bloody typical innit, I have finally sold all my sim racing gear, (last
item sold on eBay a couple of weeks ago) I've gone from owning two BRD
F1Sim wheel and pedals set-ups, a Logitech G25 (ForceFeedback) wheel and
pedal setup, a full size BRD Race Frame Pro cockpit and racing seat,.all
rigged up to two networked fast desktop (games biased) PC
systems........ to nowt.....

Well, I still have my trusty travel friendly 10" Asus netbook, an aging
and slow (and therefore non games compatible) HP laptop, to my new 17"
Intel i5 cpu based Laptop, but its not the same.....

I sold all the sim gear cos I really wasn't using it anymore, it was
just sitting here gathering dust most of the time. It was also costing
me a fortune, I was basiccaly building a brand new pc from scratch
almost every 12 to 18 months to play the latest pc games / sims, etc (at
about £750 to £1000 a time). I raelised I should just get a PS3 or Xbox
360 ( or whatever), with guaranteed 100% game compatibility, and simply
buy a new console every few years (at a fraction of the cost of building
new games PC's).

So I get rid of it all and what happens? I was sitting at my desk
working from home last Friday, and I suddenly had the urge to have a
damn good race using GPL, or GTR2, but I can't, cos all the gears gone.....

I know, I know, I have the PS3 and GT5, but, somehow, its just not the
same, its not that immersive experience that it used to be, sitting in
the lounge (on the sofa) with a game controller in my hand, looking at
the big tv, is not the same as sitting in the racing seat, feeling like
I'm in a proper car driving position in the cramped cockpit, with a
proper wheel, and proper pedals, and even a gear lever! and GPL with the
surround sound speakers blaring around my head.... its just.... not the
same.....

8-(

Hmmm, Maybe....maybe, I oughta buy myself anutha wheel, seat, cockpit?
and a big PC games rig, and three screens,,,,

Nnnnooooooo.......!!!!

8-)

--
Remove "nospam" from reply to address.

Old August 11th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

> Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>
> > The sound in GPL is the only thing I have struggled with, but that was happening
> > before I changed to Win7, and since I developed my nasty little iRacing habit GPL
> > hasn't featured much in my virtual life. I'm more likely to fire up NKPro or Shift2
> > for a change of scenery.

> > Andrew McP

Have you tried using OPENGL in GPL instead of Directx? I'm pretty sure
the "known" sound issues are directx related.

Regards,
Mike T.
Old August 11th 11, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

To my surprise I loaded GPL on my W7 64 rig and... it simply just
worked (ATI 5870 with latest drivers)! As did all the little tweak
programs for it except "TweakUI" which made racing the UI bearable for
me. I tried some updated versions but none have worked so far. Online
play through VROC and IGOR seem flawless but havene't got into a race
yet. I alsomst forgot how much fun it is throttle steering these cars,
just ran some Limerock laps and I may even make the LoPen race
tomorrow (if I make it home on time)...

I also have rFactor, Race, GT Legends, iRacing, and all seem A-OK..

GR