iRacing = crack in a box

Old June 6th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default iRacing = crack in a box

The NDA has been lifted for iRacing.

And as I said in the subject, iRacing is crack in a box. It's the
most
addicting thing a simracer will get since the end of the NROS. It's
that
amazing. Sure it's not finished yet, but it will open in less than a
month
so you guys better start preparing yourself if you ever want to start
simracing again.

Let me rephrase this : iRacing is so good (physics, track modelling,
multi
racing experience) that it made me come back from retirement, made me
buy a
1500$ PC and a G25 wheel.

Bitches better prepare yourself, simracing is back.
Old June 6th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

And off we go....

-Larry

Old June 6th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

There is a lot more and lot less to it compared to other sims. How you see
the glass will impact who joins. The sim community is traditionally an open
varied community with a lot of small groups doing varied things, with open
mods, group leagues, custom tracks, add-ons, etc. iRacing is none of that
as I understand it. iRacing is more about regimented organized racing on a
grand scale with a central rules board running all aspects, which has both
good and bad aspects.

Time will tell how it goes, but I personally think the pricing plus strict
rules and dictated racing divisions may turn a lot away from it.

Old June 6th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Valid points. And exactly why I like the idea.

If I'm being honest, I...

1. Am tired of online crash fests.
2. Truly, TRULY sick of the whole mod thing. Really, I am. I just wanna
race these days without all that nonsense.
3. Love the idea of a centralized scoring system.
4. Love the idea of people racing under their REAL names.
5. People being responsible for their actions.

And a bunch more.

-Larry

Old June 6th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

I agree on a lot of your points as well, I'm just saying many wont as its a
big change all round for the sim community.

At that price I personally don't think I will bother, with work and personal
life I suspect I wouldn't use it enough to justify the time I could spend
racing. Plus to do it right I would want a setup on my LCD TV, not at my
primary PC and that seems like a lot for one game. For the last while I've
basically given up on PC gaming at gone the console route, lot less
headaches and much quicker to pop on and play. I'll wait and see how
iRacing progresses I guess and then see down the road if it may be a
worthwhile investment.

I managed a fulltime multi series N2003 league for years and know the pros
and cons of all involved, iRacing is a good concept, I'm just not sure how
it will fly with their divisional/licensing structure and subscription
model. To me it seems to lack the personal close group feel that leagues
bring to the racing, and makes it much more sterile and dictated.

Old June 6th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Again, very valid points. I commend you for actually stating what you like,
dislike, and your concerns instead of just saying "It will never fly". You
would have made a good beta tester

Here's another thought. You can spend more than $20 for a dinner (hell, for
a LUNCH these days!). Twice that for a movie with all the trimmings. You
get the point.

I think a lot of people would benefit by tossing that one $20 bill at it for
the single month to really give them the info they need to make a good,
solid decision. I'd hate to see people miss out because they are going by
what naysayers say, instead of experiencing it themselves.

Just something to think about

-Larry

Old June 6th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

schooner wrote:
> The sim community is traditionally an open
> varied community with a lot of small groups doing varied things, with open
> mods, group leagues, custom tracks, add-ons, etc.

It depends how old you are what is traditional

The community you described evolved after the mainstream developers
departed (Papyrus) or lost their way (Crammond). For many more years
than we have had small studios and enthusiast groups we had a staedy
flow of blockbuster releases that the vast majority of sim racers used.

The fragmented result of sim racing anarchy without any form of common
ground or organisation (FILSCA tried and failed) has led to the concept
of pick up racing as being a waste of time.

iRacing promises to give us back the de facto sim aligned with an
innovative organisational system to make pick up racing (arrive and
drive) of the highest quality along with league formats rather than
aimless races.

Of course a new hobby of modding which people enjoy and provide
enjoyment to many has developed and that will be catered for by other
products which will continue to flourish as iRacing won't cater for
these. Though in my view this isn't the roots of sim racing.

Cheers
Tony