GT4 - A First Look

Old February 26th 05, 05:10 PM
Dave

In article .com>, "Smokin_Bob" > wrote:
>I just picked this up the other day, and it is quite an achievement.

>I really need to quit buying those damn XBOX driving games I have
>not tried the Logitech NASCAR wheel yet, and don't think I will unless
>I hear some raving reviews on it for the XBOX.

I do really like GT4. But I'm also disappointed with it. It has
all been said before, so no need to rehash.

Just wanted to say: don't give up on the XBOX, not with Forza
around the corner! (well, if you consider 2-3 months, plus
inevitable additional delays to be "real soon now")
Old February 26th 05, 05:17 PM
Smokin_Bob

Dave,

I am looking forward to Forza....but the steering control issue is a
big letdown for me and the XBOX so far. The Rally sims are the best to
drive as 'random steering inputs' sometimes get the job done in Rally
racing

Forza certainly seems to have some great potential, I have been reading
much about it...but I will definitely be trying that one out before I
buy it. If they could just somehow come up with more convincing
steering control and feedback, it would be much better.

Old February 26th 05, 05:41 PM
Dave

Understood, Bob. Some just gotta have FF wheels. Me, I've tried
wheels (FF and not) a number of times and just never liked them.
To this day, I use a stick for PC sims and the stock controllers
for the XBOX and PS2. Well, till today. I decided to give my old
Logitech Driving Force another try before I get too
used to the DS2 in GT4. And for some reason, I'm more
comfortable with it this time. I'm still not convinced that FF is
that much more a realistic experience...

What are all these bangings around when I'm on a straightaway? If
I let go of the wheel, it'll go wildly off the road in a couple of
seconds. That isn't my real world driving experience. And I
don't really feel the effort lighten up until I'm way out of
control. Shouldn't the wheel lighten when I just start sliding?

I need a primer in what proper FF is and how to set it up
appropriately (not that you have many setup FF options in GT4).
Old February 26th 05, 05:54 PM
Smokin_Bob

Dave,

Not sure about your FFB going all over the road, I havent noticed that
one before... I will do some digging around in the GT4 game with my
wheel--what car were you driving when that happened? I imagine one of
the controller setup options is dedicated to this particular wheel....?
I saw the DFP at a quick glance, and even more when scrolling the
options page down, maybe this wheel has a special setup...?? Just
guessing here.

Actually, I don't mind a non-FFB wheel/sim at all--The T1 for the PC
was a great wheel. If the XBOX had such a wheel (and maybe the
Logitech is it), then it would be different. But the Madcatz,
literally, felt like a 5 dollar toy. The EVO is better, but adjusting
the sensitivity is time consuming, to say the least, and every game so
far requires a different amount of adjustment here. And the way it
models 'road friction' is not smooth, or consistent. The type of feel
a decent return spring would give is just not there, for example.

Old February 26th 05, 08:12 PM
MartyU

Lots...

For someone who started on PC sims and bought a PS2 just to play GT3,
I've found the game pad amazingly good for driving...once I discovered
the gas and brake buttons were pressure sensitive.

It takes some practice but often I'm smoother in the replays than the AI.

Anyone know if a Logitech Momo FF for PC will work on a PS2?

Old February 26th 05, 08:56 PM
MartyU

Correction.

Make that the Momo Racing wheel. Anyone know if it's compatible with the
PS2?

Old February 26th 05, 09:03 PM
Andre Queree \(Mr Q\)

This may be what you're looking for on the Xbox. I've no idea of quality,
etc. but it looks like the first Xbox wheel to do real force feedback
(rather than just vibrate).

Of course, now that one does it they all will ...

--
Andre
oups.com...

Old February 26th 05, 11:54 PM
Dave

In article .com>, "Smokin_Bob" > wrote:
>Dave,
>
>Not sure about your FFB going all over the road, I havent noticed that
>one before... I will do some digging around in the GT4 game with my
>wheel--what car were you driving when that happened?

I think it is either just trying to create some self-centering, or
it is simulating bumps in the road? It seems worse at higher
speeds, so maybe it is the latter. Basically, if it gets a few
degrees off-center, there's a strong kick to re-center. If I'm
not holding on firmly, it'll over-correct, kick harder back, then
again, then I'd be off the road. In reality, this would only be
the case if I let go of the wheel since after a kick or two, I'm
grabbing tight. It just feels way overdone, but not a big deal.
I'll experiment more.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old February 27th 05, 05:22 AM
ymenard

>"Smokin_Bob" > wrote
> I have no idea how the PS2 can do what it is doing with GT4

low poly count and texture resolution in everything except the cars.

Exceptional physics... hmm only for it's balance of arcade and realism.
Nothing more.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old February 27th 05, 01:45 PM
JC

2/27/05 - $37.99 at COMPUSA

oups.com...