Wheel stud washers for LH?

Old July 1st 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Greg Houston

Default Wheel stud washers for LH?

While I had a wheel off to fix a scraping/squeaking noise, I noticed
that some lug nut studs had a washer under the wheel and some did not.

Flash back a few years to when the dealer rotated my tires. Since then
whenever I torque the lugnuts to spec, some are quite jerky when being
torqued to spec, others are fine. I now think this is because these
washers are missing from some studs.

I looked through my LH parts book but couldn't find these, either
under Wheels (which includes lugnuts) or Brakes (which includes studs).
Does anyone know what I'm talking about or the part number?

Also, what is a good place to order Chrysler parts online from these
days? Being able get a description and price when you type in a part
number is extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Greg (99 Intrepid.)
Old July 1st 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Greg Houston wrote:
> While I had a wheel off to fix a scraping/squeaking noise, I noticed
> that some lug nut studs had a washer under the wheel and some did not.
>
> Flash back a few years to when the dealer rotated my tires. Since then
> whenever I torque the lugnuts to spec, some are quite jerky when being
> torqued to spec, others are fine. I now think this is because these
> washers are missing from some studs.
>
> I looked through my LH parts book but couldn't find these, either under
> Wheels (which includes lugnuts) or Brakes (which includes studs). Does
> anyone know what I'm talking about or the part number?
>
> Also, what is a good place to order Chrysler parts online from these
> days? Being able get a description and price when you type in a part
> number is extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks!
> Greg (99 Intrepid.)

Greg,

Those are put on at the factory to hold the rotors on during assembly -
two per wheel. They are totally not needed. The first time the rotors
are removed, they should simply be discarded.

I know what you mean about jerky lugnuts. I know it does that with my
aftermarket wheels - I just assumed it is the nature of aluminum.

www.chryslerpartsdirect.com has a good drill down parts lookup system as
do some others. Not everything will come up by drilling down, but if
you have part numbers to type in, I believe everything willl come up
that way. If you see some P/N's that start with a zero, leave the
leading zero off - otherwise it will not recognize the number.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Greg Houston

Bill Putney wrote:
> Greg Houston wrote:
>
>> While I had a wheel off to fix a scraping/squeaking noise, I noticed
>> that some lug nut studs had a washer under the wheel and some did not.
>>
>> Flash back a few years to when the dealer rotated my tires. Since
>> then whenever I torque the lugnuts to spec, some are quite jerky when
>> being torqued to spec, others are fine. I now think this is because
>> these washers are missing from some studs.
>>
>> I looked through my LH parts book but couldn't find these, either
>> under Wheels (which includes lugnuts) or Brakes (which includes
>> studs). Does anyone know what I'm talking about or the part number?
>>
>> Also, what is a good place to order Chrysler parts online from these
>> days? Being able get a description and price when you type in a part
>> number is extremely helpful.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Greg (99 Intrepid.)

> Greg,
>
> Those are put on at the factory to hold the rotors on during assembly -
> two per wheel. They are totally not needed. The first time the rotors
> are removed, they should simply be discarded.
>
> I know what you mean about jerky lugnuts. I know it does that with my
> aftermarket wheels - I just assumed it is the nature of aluminum.

Ahh, that solves the mystery and explains the lack of a part number.
Thanks!

> www.chryslerpartsdirect.com has a good drill down parts lookup system as
> do some others. Not everything will come up by drilling down, but if
> you have part numbers to type in, I believe everything willl come up
> that way. If you see some P/N's that start with a zero, leave the
> leading zero off - otherwise it will not recognize the number.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. If I can find a little bottle of touch up
paint - Bright Platinum, I'll be excited. I don't think Chrysler
has used that color since 2000 or so.