Trunk leaks in 1991 Accord

Old January 13th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mark[_15_]

Default Trunk leaks in 1991 Accord

Good morning.

Water is leaking into the trunk of my 1991 Accord EX. The shop did the
following:

1. Verified that sunroof drains are not clogged.
2. Quoted me $500 to replace all the taillights.

It looks like I'll be taking over after step #1. :-)

Have any of you guys dealt with this problem? What is the recommended
procedure for making the taillight area watertight again?

Thanks
-Mark

Old January 13th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Mark" > wrote
> Good morning.
>
> Water is leaking into the trunk of my 1991 Accord EX. The
> shop did the following:
>
> 1. Verified that sunroof drains are not clogged.
> 2. Quoted me $500 to replace all the taillights.
>
> It looks like I'll be taking over after step #1. :-)
>
> Have any of you guys dealt with this problem? What is the
> recommended procedure for making the taillight area
> watertight again?

Sounds like you heard this is a common problem for c. 1990
Hondas. It is usually the gaskets used in and around the
taillight housings that fail. If you're a little handy,
fixing these is pretty easy. One may either (1) simply
replace all the gaskets; or one may (2) disassemble, clean
with water the old gaskets, apply a bead of good,
temperature appropriate silicone IIRC caulking on both
sides, and re-assemble.

I did (2) a few years ago with my 91 Civic. No leaks since.

Approach (1) is more expensive. Approach (2) is harder to
clean up if and when the caulking has to be redone.

You should try to confirm that the gaskets are the culprits,
first, too. Any water in the taillight housings, for
example?

Old January 13th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Cousin It

I had the same problem on my 91 Accord and fixed it with a $5 tube of
Silicone II caulk like Elle suggested. I also ran a bead down the seam in
the gutter where the trunk and rear quarter panels come together. Haven't
had a drop of water in the trunk since. A lot cheaper than the dealer's
$500 solution.

Old January 15th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:52:03 GMT, "Elle"
> wrote:

>"Mark" > wrote
>> Good morning.
>>
>> Water is leaking into the trunk of my 1991 Accord EX. The
>> shop did the following:
>>
>> 1. Verified that sunroof drains are not clogged.
>> 2. Quoted me $500 to replace all the taillights.
>>
>> It looks like I'll be taking over after step #1. :-)
>>
>> Have any of you guys dealt with this problem? What is the
>> recommended procedure for making the taillight area
>> watertight again?

>Sounds like you heard this is a common problem for c. 1990
>Hondas. It is usually the gaskets used in and around the
>taillight housings that fail. If you're a little handy,
>fixing these is pretty easy. One may either (1) simply
>replace all the gaskets; or one may (2) disassemble, clean
>with water the old gaskets, apply a bead of good,
>temperature appropriate silicone IIRC caulking on both
>sides, and re-assemble.
>
>I did (2) a few years ago with my 91 Civic. No leaks since.
>
>Approach (1) is more expensive. Approach (2) is harder to
>clean up if and when the caulking has to be redone.
>
>You should try to confirm that the gaskets are the culprits,
>first, too. Any water in the taillight housings, for
>example?

I tried just replacing the gaskets on my 90 accord and it did not seal
off with new gaskets. I then used silicone with the new gaskets,
sealed right off, no problems for about 5 years.

Frank
Old February 19th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mark[_15_]

> "Mark" > wrote about a month ago: Good morning.
>
> Water is leaking into the trunk of my 1991 Accord EX.

Following a suggestion from several people, I removed the taillights
and cleaned the gaskets and reinstalled them with a generous
application of silicone caulk. This took care of the water that was
leaking around the taillights.

Unfortunately, I still have a small leak into the left rear corner of
the trunk. I removed the side trim panel and discovered that
the water is coming in around the edges of the ventilation outflow
valve. Apparently water running down the side of the car gets
underneath the bumper and finds its way in through this area.

So my plan of attack is to remove the rear bumper, inspect
the area around the outflow valve, and correct the leak with
a new gasket and/or silicone caulk where the outflow valve
is installed.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks
-Mark

Old February 20th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Mark" > wrote
>> "Mark" > wrote about a month ago:
>> Good morning.
>>
>> Water is leaking into the trunk of my 1991 Accord EX.

> Following a suggestion from several people, I removed the
> taillights
> and cleaned the gaskets and reinstalled them with a
> generous
> application of silicone caulk. This took care of the water
> that was
> leaking around the taillights.
>
> Unfortunately, I still have a small leak into the left
> rear corner of
> the trunk. I removed the side trim panel and discovered
> that
> the water is coming in around the edges of the ventilation
> outflow
> valve. Apparently water running down the side of the car
> gets
> underneath the bumper and finds its way in through this
> area.
>
> So my plan of attack is to remove the rear bumper, inspect
> the area around the outflow valve, and correct the leak
> with
> a new gasket and/or silicone caulk where the outflow valve
> is installed.
>
> Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Sure. I don't recollect this particular area leaking, so I'd
double check as best I could first. OTOH, I think there have
been a few odd sources reported here at times, in addition
to the "usual suspects" (taillight gaskets).

Old February 20th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in news:dtrCh.4222
:

> I think there have
> been a few odd sources reported here at times, in addition
> to the "usual suspects" (taillight gaskets).

Speaking of odd leak sources... I still have that stupid one at the left-
rear corner of the roof at the hatch.

After a good rain, the first couple of right turns causes a little sprinkle
of droplets to dribble out of the C-pillar molding and onto the windowsill.

I've investigated as thoroughly as I could, resealing the roof seam at the
ditch molding (removed hatch to get proper access), but still it leaks.
It's not coming in through the windows and not being driven back from the
windshield. It has GOT to be the roof ditch seam, but I'm damned if I can
find the leak.

Even when I drop the rear of the headliner, there's no rust trail anywhere
that I can see, so I can't even trace it back anywhere that way. My next
step is to remove the headliner entirely (in the spring) and drive around
like that until I find out where it's coming from.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 20th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote
> Speaking of odd leak sources... I still have that stupid
> one at the left-
> rear corner of the roof at the hatch.
>
> After a good rain, the first couple of right turns causes
> a little sprinkle
> of droplets to dribble out of the C-pillar molding and
> onto the windowsill.
>
> I've investigated as thoroughly as I could, resealing the
> roof seam at the
> ditch molding (removed hatch to get proper access), but
> still it leaks.
> It's not coming in through the windows and not being
> driven back from the
> windshield. It has GOT to be the roof ditch seam, but I'm
> damned if I can
> find the leak.
>
> Even when I drop the rear of the headliner, there's no
> rust trail anywhere
> that I can see, so I can't even trace it back anywhere
> that way. My next
> step is to remove the headliner entirely (in the spring)
> and drive around
> like that until I find out where it's coming from.

Well that's darned annoying.

Not to be too impertinent, but this is FAQ material, oh
beloved(!) high lord of the unofficial Q page. ;-)

Old February 20th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in news:2ZrCh.3558
:

> "Tegger" > wrote
>> Speaking of odd leak sources... I still have that stupid
>> one at the left-
>> rear corner of the roof at the hatch.
>>
>> After a good rain, the first couple of right turns causes
>> a little sprinkle
>> of droplets to dribble out of the C-pillar molding and
>> onto the windowsill.
>>
>> I've investigated as thoroughly as I could, resealing the
>> roof seam at the
>> ditch molding (removed hatch to get proper access), but
>> still it leaks.
>> It's not coming in through the windows and not being
>> driven back from the
>> windshield. It has GOT to be the roof ditch seam, but I'm
>> damned if I can
>> find the leak.
>>
>> Even when I drop the rear of the headliner, there's no
>> rust trail anywhere
>> that I can see, so I can't even trace it back anywhere
>> that way. My next
>> step is to remove the headliner entirely (in the spring)
>> and drive around
>> like that until I find out where it's coming from.

> Well that's darned annoying.
>
> Not to be too impertinent, but this is FAQ material, oh
> beloved(!) high lord of the unofficial Q page. ;-)

IF I EVER FIND IT!...it will make the FAQ page.

Leaks are most annoying, you know?

Old February 20th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Elle" > wrote in
> :
>
>> "Tegger" > wrote
>>> Speaking of odd leak sources... I still have that stupid
>>> one at the left-
>>> rear corner of the roof at the hatch.
>>>
>>> After a good rain, the first couple of right turns
>>> causes
>>> a little sprinkle
>>> of droplets to dribble out of the C-pillar molding and
>>> onto the windowsill.
>>>
>>> I've investigated as thoroughly as I could, resealing
>>> the
>>> roof seam at the
>>> ditch molding (removed hatch to get proper access), but
>>> still it leaks.
>>> It's not coming in through the windows and not being
>>> driven back from the
>>> windshield. It has GOT to be the roof ditch seam, but
>>> I'm
>>> damned if I can
>>> find the leak.
>>>
>>> Even when I drop the rear of the headliner, there's no
>>> rust trail anywhere
>>> that I can see, so I can't even trace it back anywhere
>>> that way. My next
>>> step is to remove the headliner entirely (in the spring)
>>> and drive around
>>> like that until I find out where it's coming from.

>> Well that's darned annoying.
>>
>> Not to be too impertinent, but this is FAQ material, oh
>> beloved(!) high lord of the unofficial Q page. ;-)
>>

> IF I EVER FIND IT!...it will make the FAQ page.
>
> Leaks are most annoying, you know?

I meant the topic of "trunk leaks" in general. :-)