Honda Accord EXR '91 fan problem

Old January 11th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Super Giraffe

Default Honda Accord EXR '91 fan problem

Hi everybody,

I have a Honda Accord EXR '91, when I start the car the engine warms up
normally but the blower motor doesn't turn on so I don't get any
heating in the cabin, unless I drive at 100kph (I guess that forces the
air through).
Anyways, I've replaced the heater/rear defroster fuse in the driver
side fusebox and tested the blower motor which is fine. I don't why the
fan isn't blowing!

Engine warm, no fan, cabin cold. Any suggestions?

Old January 11th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Super Giraffe wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a Honda Accord EXR '91, when I start the car the engine warms up
> normally but the blower motor doesn't turn on so I don't get any
> heating in the cabin, unless I drive at 100kph (I guess that forces the
> air through).
> Anyways, I've replaced the heater/rear defroster fuse in the driver
> side fusebox and tested the blower motor which is fine. I don't why the
> fan isn't blowing!
>
> Engine warm, no fan, cabin cold. Any suggestions?

---------------------------------

Find a route to work with no stop signs or traffic lights? Haw Haw.

Was the fuse blown? Was the heater working perfectly before, or did it
only work on some of the speed settings when it quit altogether? I'm
hinting about the resistor pack. . .

'Curly'
Old February 23rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Super Giraffe

An update, because I went through alot to figure out what was wrong.

First I tried to remove the blower motor, that took forever because I
didn't know that you need to remove the control unit on the floor
underneath the carpet to get enough clearance to slide the blower
motor assembly down and out.

Then I went around looking for a new blower motor assembly, the motor
itself is $180 CDN and doesn't include the assembly which I need
(couldn't remove the blower wheels from the old motor). I went to my
dad's friend with the blower motor and asked him if he could fix the
motor or find another motor, he hooked it up to a car battery and it
worked.

So I put it back in the car and two weeks later it stopped working
again. This time I went to a mechanic who said that the blower motor
assembly needed to be replaced, I pointed out that it had worked
before. He said that was because it was getting full voltage and
current direct to the battery, which it doesn't in normal operation.
Estimate was $380 CDN.

So I went to the auto junkyard and got a used blower motor assembly,
and installed that.
Five or six weeks from then and the fan still works.

The Haynes Honda Accord '91 manual was useless. The Chilton's manual
was slightly more helpful (it actually mentioned the EXR). Newsgroups
and google were really helpful.

Old February 25th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ravageiwise

Thanks for the post. I was wondering how the heck to get that motor out.
The damn Hanes manual just pretty much shows it out after pulling a few
screws so I thought I must be doing something wrong. Gonna go check
under the carpet now and then visit the local wrecker. How much did you
get the blower motor for? I'm in Canada too.

--
ravageiwise
ravageiwise's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=500858

http://www.automotiveforums.com