Hissing sound from Air Conditioner on 97 Accord

Old February 17th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Grumpy AuContraire

Default Hissing sound from Air Conditioner on 97 Accord

Steve wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
> Thank the good
>
>> lord Jap evaporator boxes come out in 20 minutes as opposed to 6-10
>> hours like on some domestic vehicles.
>>
>> Don
>> www.donsautomotive.com

> Just for that anti-American remark, I'm bringing YOU my wife's 93 LH car
> the next time it needs that job. After all, you're only 5 minutes away
> from me :-p

Don won't mind. After all, it will be on the clock...

JT

Old February 17th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Feb 16, 4:21 pm, Don > wrote:
> On 16 Feb 2007 13:18:09 -0800, "Comboverfish" >
> wrote:
>

> >On Feb 16, 2:25 pm, Don > wrote:

> >> We recently replaced a compressor, drier and expansion valve on a
> >> Honda CRV. Had to warranty the damn expansion valve because it made a
> >> piercing whistle! All the while cooling just fine. Thank the good
> >> lord Jap evaporator boxes come out in 20 minutes as opposed to 6-10
> >> hours like on some domestic vehicles.

> >> Donwww.donsautomotive.com

> >Apparently the Japanese have a different lord when it comes to under
> >dash service. Was this a Nippon Denso or Honda OEM TXV ... or an
> >aftermarket unit?

> >Toyota MDT in MO

> It was an aftermarket "AIR" brand from WorldPac. Perfect physical
> fit, proper pressures but developed an intolerable whisle about two
> days after the car was picked up.

I suspected as much, but in reality I have no experience with
aftermarket A/C parts on Japanese vehicles. I've always used Toyota/
Honda HVAC parts in the dealers I worked at as well as for indie/home
jobs. It sounds like the high pressure passageway was crimped but not
blocked, or maybe some manufacturing flash was stuck in the path.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old February 17th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Don > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:57:35 -0600, Steve > wrote:
>
>>Don wrote:
>>
>> Thank the good
>>> lord Jap evaporator boxes come out in 20 minutes as opposed to 6-10
>>> hours like on some domestic vehicles.
>>>
>>> Don
>>> www.donsautomotive.com

>>Just for that anti-American remark, I'm bringing YOU my wife's 93 LH car
>>the next time it needs that job. After all, you're only 5 minutes away
>>from me :-p

> I didn't mention heater cores. Heater core removal can really suck on
> some domestic vehicles. It can really suck even worse on most ALL
> Japanese vehicles. Good thing the Jap heater cores rarely fail!

Heater core removal didn't suck on my '75 Corolla. It was pretty easy, in
fact.

The big problem with those puppies was that the heater control valve was
inside the passenger compartment, right above the gas pedal.
And they LEAKED. The damned thing's seals had the sort of lifespan enjoyed
by tadpoles once seagulls have discovered where they are.

Japanese cars didn't start out as good as they are now. Ask me how I know.

--
Tegger

Old February 17th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Feb 16, 8:16 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> Don > wrote :
>

> > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:57:35 -0600, Steve > wrote:

> >>Don wrote:

> >> Thank the good

> >>Just for that anti-American remark, I'm bringing YOU my wife's 93 LH car
> >>the next time it needs that job. After all, you're only 5 minutes away
> >>from me :-p

> > I didn't mention heater cores. Heater core removal can really suck on
> > some domestic vehicles. It can really suck even worse on most ALL
> > Japanese vehicles. Good thing the Jap heater cores rarely fail!

> Heater core removal didn't suck on my '75 Corolla. It was pretty easy, in
> fact.
>
> The big problem with those puppies was that the heater control valve was
> inside the passenger compartment, right above the gas pedal.
> And they LEAKED. The damned thing's seals had the sort of lifespan enjoyed
> by tadpoles once seagulls have discovered where they are.
>
> Japanese cars didn't start out as good as they are now. Ask me how I know.
>
> --
> Tegger

The 83-87 Renault Alliance/Encore design dispensed with all of that
interior heater control valve crap, and instead opted for a heater
core that leaked in about 99.9% of all cases. (Dash removal
required) Ask owner's legs how they know...

Toyota MDT in MO

Old February 18th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Don wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:57:35 -0600, Steve > wrote:
>

>>Don wrote:
>>
>> Thank the good
>>
>>>lord Jap evaporator boxes come out in 20 minutes as opposed to 6-10
>>>hours like on some domestic vehicles.
>>>
>>>Don
>>>www.donsautomotive.com

>>Just for that anti-American remark, I'm bringing YOU my wife's 93 LH car
>>the next time it needs that job. After all, you're only 5 minutes away

>>from me :-p

> I didn't mention heater cores. Heater core removal can really suck on
> some domestic vehicles. It can really suck even worse on most ALL
> Japanese vehicles. Good thing the Jap heater cores rarely fail!
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

In my exprience, if you use good antifreeze and change it on schedule...
NO heater cores are very prone to fail. I think I've had excatly one
that ever developed a problem, and that was after 36 years of use.
Old February 18th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

> The 83-87 Renault Alliance/Encore design dispensed with all of that
> interior heater control valve crap, and instead opted for a heater
> core that leaked in about 99.9% of all cases.

..... and now they own Nissan. <shaking head and walking away...>