Another jurisdiction that likes the "zipper"

Old July 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Nate Nagel

Default Another jurisdiction that likes the "zipper"

Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error message
both times. anyway...

Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG

Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
eastbound, or back out of the city.

nate

PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx. 10 MPH.

PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old July 5th 05, 11:13 PM

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error message
> both times. anyway...
>
> Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
> about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
> the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG
>
> Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
> peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
> would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
> subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
> illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
> than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
> eastbound, or back out of the city.
>
> nate
>
> PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
> sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
> camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx. 10 MPH.
>
> PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!

Can't tell from your photo, but is there a vehilce ahead of you off
camera to the left that you allowed to "zipper" in front of you?You
look awfully cose to the guy ahead of you. ;-}

Old July 5th 05, 11:18 PM
Nate Nagel

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>>Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error message
>>both times. anyway...
>>
>>Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
>>about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
>>the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.

http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG

>>Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
>>peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
>>would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
>>subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
>>illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
>>than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
>>eastbound, or back out of the city.
>>
>>nate
>>
>>PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
>>sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
>>camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx. 10 MPH.
>>
>>PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!

> Can't tell from your photo, but is there a vehilce ahead of you off
> camera to the left that you allowed to "zipper" in front of you?You
> look awfully cose to the guy ahead of you. ;-}

yes there is, you just can't see it in the pic. I think my camera made
the car in front of me look closer than I was; maybe it even
auto-zoomed... who knows... I wasn't paying that much attention to the
camera, it's amazing the pic turned out as well as it did.

nate

Old July 5th 05, 11:40 PM
Geoffrey Hatchard

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error message
> both times. anyway...
>
> Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
> about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
> the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG
>
> Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
> peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
> would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
> subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
> illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
> than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
> eastbound, or back out of the city.
>
> nate
>
> PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
> sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
> camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx. 10
> MPH.
>
> PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!

Nate,

The mayor has proposed a fix for the problem of going from 295 to Penn
Ave. westbound:

http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/cwp/view,a,1...v_GID,1610.asp

It won't be direct, but it will allow for traffic to get downtown from
the Anacostia Freeway more quickly.

--
All the best,
Geoff
Old July 6th 05, 12:00 AM
Nate Nagel

Geoffrey Hatchard wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error
>> message both times. anyway...
>>
>> Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
>> about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
>> the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.
>>
>> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG
>>
>> Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
>> peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
>> would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
>> subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
>> illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
>> than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
>> eastbound, or back out of the city.
>>
>> nate
>>
>> PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
>> sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
>> camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx.
>> 10 MPH.
>>
>> PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!
>>

> Nate,
>
> The mayor has proposed a fix for the problem of going from 295 to Penn
> Ave. westbound:
>
> http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/cwp/view,a,1...v_GID,1610.asp
>
> It won't be direct, but it will allow for traffic to get downtown from
> the Anacostia Freeway more quickly.

Cool, that would be a very Good Thing(tm) although I still say a direct
ramp would be best. Actually converting the Pennsylvania Ave./DC-295
interchange to a full cloverleaf would be best of all as then traffic
from the SE freeway wouldn't have to cross over through traffic to get
to DC-295 N. and also the issue I mentioned above would become a
non-issue. It appears from a glance at a map that there's room to do
it; not sure why it wasn't originally built that way.

Forgot to mention, at least northbound DC-295 is safe to drive on again
- the ground-down pavement with the dangerous manhole covers has been
paved over. (I posted a couple weeks ago about watching a Jetta lose an
oil pan on that road... you'd think a Jetta would have more ground
clearance than a 944 but I wasn't complaining at that point in time,
since I was the one still mobile)

nate

Old July 6th 05, 12:55 AM
Geoffrey Hatchard

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Geoffrey Hatchard wrote:
>
>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry if this is a repost... sent twice already and got an error
>>> message both times. anyway...
>>>
>>> Been a while since I'd been through this interchange - almost forgot
>>> about the signage. This is the ramp from Pennsylvania Ave. eastbound to
>>> the Anacostia Freeway (DC 295) north.
>>>
>>> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel/ima.../DC_zipper.JPG
>>>
>>> Incidentally, this interchange also contains one of my biggest road
>>> peeves about DC area - to go from DC 295 south to PA Ave. west (which
>>> would be the logical way to get to the Southeast Freeway and
>>> subsequently I-395 south from points east) one has to either make an
>>> illegal U-turn on PA Ave. or else go around the block in a rather less
>>> than savory neighborhood - the only ramp from DC 295 south dumps you
>>> eastbound, or back out of the city.
>>>
>>> nate
>>>
>>> PS - before anyone accuses me of any Tayloresque deriliction of common
>>> sense, I feel obligated to point out that the pic was taken with a
>>> camera with autofocus and a viewscreen, and also at a speed of appx.
>>> 10 MPH.
>>>
>>> PPS - amazingly enough, people were zippering quite nicely thank you!
>>>

>> Nate,
>>
>> The mayor has proposed a fix for the problem of going from 295 to Penn
>> Ave. westbound:
>>
>> http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/cwp/view,a,1...v_GID,1610.asp
>>
>> It won't be direct, but it will allow for traffic to get downtown from
>> the Anacostia Freeway more quickly.
>>

> Cool, that would be a very Good Thing(tm) although I still say a direct
> ramp would be best. Actually converting the Pennsylvania Ave./DC-295
> interchange to a full cloverleaf would be best of all as then traffic
> from the SE freeway wouldn't have to cross over through traffic to get
> to DC-295 N. and also the issue I mentioned above would become a
> non-issue. It appears from a glance at a map that there's room to do
> it; not sure why it wasn't originally built that way.
>
> Forgot to mention, at least northbound DC-295 is safe to drive on again
> - the ground-down pavement with the dangerous manhole covers has been
> paved over. (I posted a couple weeks ago about watching a Jetta lose an
> oil pan on that road... you'd think a Jetta would have more ground
> clearance than a 944 but I wasn't complaining at that point in time,
> since I was the one still mobile)

Actually, Nate, from what I understand, if the direct ramps are built
from the Anacostia Freeway to the 11th St. Bridge, the city would then
like to remove the Southeast Freeway from Penn Ave. to the 11th St.
Bridge to reconnect that part of the waterfront to the Capitol Hill
neighborhood, which would be great, in my opinion, since that freeway
would cease to be as useful.

--
All the best,
Geoff
Old July 6th 05, 01:36 AM
Nate Nagel

Geoffrey Hatchard wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Hatchard wrote:

>>> Nate,
>>>
>>> The mayor has proposed a fix for the problem of going from 295 to
>>> Penn Ave. westbound:
>>>
>>> http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/cwp/view,a,1...v_GID,1610.asp
>>>
>>> It won't be direct, but it will allow for traffic to get downtown
>>> from the Anacostia Freeway more quickly.
>>>

>> Cool, that would be a very Good Thing(tm) although I still say a
>> direct ramp would be best. Actually converting the Pennsylvania
>> Ave./DC-295 interchange to a full cloverleaf would be best of all as
>> then traffic from the SE freeway wouldn't have to cross over through
>> traffic to get to DC-295 N. and also the issue I mentioned above would
>> become a non-issue. It appears from a glance at a map that there's
>> room to do it; not sure why it wasn't originally built that way.
>>
>> Forgot to mention, at least northbound DC-295 is safe to drive on
>> again - the ground-down pavement with the dangerous manhole covers has
>> been paved over. (I posted a couple weeks ago about watching a Jetta
>> lose an oil pan on that road... you'd think a Jetta would have more
>> ground clearance than a 944 but I wasn't complaining at that point in
>> time, since I was the one still mobile)
>>

> Actually, Nate, from what I understand, if the direct ramps are built
> from the Anacostia Freeway to the 11th St. Bridge, the city would then
> like to remove the Southeast Freeway from Penn Ave. to the 11th St.
> Bridge to reconnect that part of the waterfront to the Capitol Hill
> neighborhood, which would be great, in my opinion, since that freeway
> would cease to be as useful.

Whichever works, really. PA Ave. is more direct for how I would use the
road; I can't say that I've ever taken the 11th St. bridge. But if it
would provide a direct freeway-to-freeway connection I certainly
wouldn't complain about driving an extra quarter mile or so.

Speaking of such things, where the heck is Barney Circle anyway? All
the (admittedly spotty) research I've done into why it is so hard to get
to there from here and vice versa mentions an extension of I-295 to
Barney Circle and a connection to the SE Freeway, but a quick mapquest
of the area shows the words "Barney Circle" on the map near nothing that
looks like a circle at all... My curiosity has not been such that I'm
willing to get lost in SE trying to get my mental map up to date however.

nate

Old July 6th 05, 03:12 AM
Geoffrey Hatchard

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Geoffrey Hatchard wrote:
>
>> Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Cool, that would be a very Good Thing(tm) although I still say a
>>> direct ramp would be best. Actually converting the Pennsylvania
>>> Ave./DC-295 interchange to a full cloverleaf would be best of all as
>>> then traffic from the SE freeway wouldn't have to cross over through
>>> traffic to get to DC-295 N. and also the issue I mentioned above
>>> would become a non-issue. It appears from a glance at a map that
>>> there's room to do it; not sure why it wasn't originally built that way.
>>>
>>> Forgot to mention, at least northbound DC-295 is safe to drive on
>>> again - the ground-down pavement with the dangerous manhole covers
>>> has been paved over. (I posted a couple weeks ago about watching a
>>> Jetta lose an oil pan on that road... you'd think a Jetta would have
>>> more ground clearance than a 944 but I wasn't complaining at that
>>> point in time, since I was the one still mobile)
>>>

>> Actually, Nate, from what I understand, if the direct ramps are built
>> from the Anacostia Freeway to the 11th St. Bridge, the city would then
>> like to remove the Southeast Freeway from Penn Ave. to the 11th St.
>> Bridge to reconnect that part of the waterfront to the Capitol Hill
>> neighborhood, which would be great, in my opinion, since that freeway
>> would cease to be as useful.
>>

> Whichever works, really. PA Ave. is more direct for how I would use the
> road; I can't say that I've ever taken the 11th St. bridge. But if it
> would provide a direct freeway-to-freeway connection I certainly
> wouldn't complain about driving an extra quarter mile or so.
>
> Speaking of such things, where the heck is Barney Circle anyway? All
> the (admittedly spotty) research I've done into why it is so hard to get
> to there from here and vice versa mentions an extension of I-295 to
> Barney Circle and a connection to the SE Freeway, but a quick mapquest
> of the area shows the words "Barney Circle" on the map near nothing that
> looks like a circle at all... My curiosity has not been such that I'm
> willing to get lost in SE trying to get my mental map up to date however.

Nate,

Try looking he
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=

There's where Barney Circle is. If you've been on Penn Ave., then
you've gone through it without even noticing! I guess that, if the
whole removal of the SE Freeway were to go down, there's a chance that
the circle could be restored to it's original configuration.

--
All the best,
Geoff
Old July 6th 05, 03:31 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Geoffrey Hatchard > wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > Speaking of such things, where the heck is Barney Circle anyway? All
> > the (admittedly spotty) research I've done into why it is so hard to get
> > to there from here and vice versa mentions an extension of I-295 to
> > Barney Circle and a connection to the SE Freeway, but a quick mapquest
> > of the area shows the words "Barney Circle" on the map near nothing that
> > looks like a circle at all... My curiosity has not been such that I'm
> > willing to get lost in SE trying to get my mental map up to date however.

> Try looking he
> http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=
>
> There's where Barney Circle is. If you've been on Penn Ave., then
> you've gone through it without even noticing! I guess that, if the
> whole removal of the SE Freeway were to go down, there's a chance that
> the circle could be restored to it's original configuration.

There is no traffic circle (rotary) there today, just through traffic on
Pennsylvania Avenue, a ramp from the eastbound Southeast Freeway, and a
semi-directional ramp to the westbound Southeast Freeway.

This aerial image shows it nicely --
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...40&Y=21525&W=1

I would be interested in seeing what the original configuration looked
like.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Old July 6th 05, 04:02 AM
Nate Nagel

Scott M. Kozel wrote:
> Geoffrey Hatchard > wrote:
>
>>Nate Nagel wrote:
>>

>>>Speaking of such things, where the heck is Barney Circle anyway? All
>>>the (admittedly spotty) research I've done into why it is so hard to get
>>>to there from here and vice versa mentions an extension of I-295 to
>>>Barney Circle and a connection to the SE Freeway, but a quick mapquest
>>>of the area shows the words "Barney Circle" on the map near nothing that
>>>looks like a circle at all... My curiosity has not been such that I'm
>>>willing to get lost in SE trying to get my mental map up to date however.

>>Try looking he
>>http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=
>>
>>There's where Barney Circle is. If you've been on Penn Ave., then
>>you've gone through it without even noticing! I guess that, if the
>>whole removal of the SE Freeway were to go down, there's a chance that
>>the circle could be restored to it's original configuration.

> There is no traffic circle (rotary) there today, just through traffic on
> Pennsylvania Avenue, a ramp from the eastbound Southeast Freeway, and a
> semi-directional ramp to the westbound Southeast Freeway.
>
> This aerial image shows it nicely --
> http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...40&Y=21525&W=1
>
> I would be interested in seeing what the original configuration looked
> like.

Sometimes a picture really *is* worth a thousand words...

question, looks like there is a stretch of what I assume is the "circle"
that only exists to connect Kentucky Ave. with the SE Freeway - but that
section of the freeway is signed "emergency use and stadium traffic
only" - IOW a basically useless road, seeing as there don't appear to be
any buildings on it?

Also, what time of day were those images taken? I need to find out when
that is and plan my commute accordingly

nate