shift kits

Old May 9th 05, 10:02 PM

Default shift kits

Are there any companies out there that offer shift kits already
installed in valve bodies, so all you have to do is swap them out and
send the core back to them?

I think this would be beneficial for the DIY who doesn't want to get
involved with the actual hassle of installing the kit into the valve
body.

Please advise.

Old May 9th 05, 10:11 PM
Bruce Chang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Are there any companies out there that offer shift kits already
> installed in valve bodies, so all you have to do is swap them out and
> send the core back to them?
>
> I think this would be beneficial for the DIY who doesn't want to get
> involved with the actual hassle of installing the kit into the valve
> body.
>
> Please advise.

I'd say if you're willing to pull a valve body, that you'd be willing to put
in a shift kit. IIRC, installing my Transgo shift kit for a GM 700R4 took
me about 3 hours and that's with additional modifications to the servo and
what not. Installign the shift kit was just removing a bunch of valves and
either replacing the valve or replacing springs. Also there were a couple
things that needed to be drilled out or plugged. It's not that big of a
deal. I'd much rather be the one that installs the shift kit than be the
one that hase to drop the valve body.

-Bruce

Old May 9th 05, 11:59 PM
el Diablo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Are there any companies out there that offer shift kits already
> installed in valve bodies, so all you have to do is swap them out and
> send the core back to them?
>
> I think this would be beneficial for the DIY who doesn't want to get
> involved with the actual hassle of installing the kit into the valve
> body.
>
> Please advise.

You don't say what type of vehicle, so these guys may be able to supply you
with what you need.

http://www.hughesperformance.com/valve.html

Brian

Old May 10th 05, 08:47 PM
John Kunkel

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Are there any companies out there that offer shift kits already
> installed in valve bodies, so all you have to do is swap them out and
> send the core back to them?
>
> I think this would be beneficial for the DIY who doesn't want to get
> involved with the actual hassle of installing the kit into the valve
> body.

The basic shift kits deal with the valve body only but the better
reprogramming kits also have mods to the transmission that the valve body
alone doesn't deal with.

Depending on the type of trans, several performance transmission vendors
offer modified valve bodies, Turbo Action is one.

http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html

Old May 11th 05, 01:33 PM

"Bruce Chang" > wrote in message
. ..

> I'd say if you're willing to pull a valve body, that you'd be willing to

put
> in a shift kit. IIRC, installing my Transgo shift kit for a GM 700R4 took
> me about 3 hours and that's with additional modifications to the servo and
> what not. Installign the shift kit was just removing a bunch of valves

and
> either replacing the valve or replacing springs. Also there were a couple
> things that needed to be drilled out or plugged. It's not that big of a
> deal. I'd much rather be the one that installs the shift kit than be the
> one that hase to drop the valve body.
>
> -Bruce

Depends on the shift kit. When I was having a lot of problems with a 440T4
in a Buick Regal,
one of the shift kit providers said that their kit included extensive
internal modifications, required
essentially complete disassembly of the tranny, would cost over $1000 if
they did it.

Some of the Turbo Hydramatic kits, on the other hand, are dead simple.
Hardest part is grinding away at that polished slide valve.