Daffodil @ the DAF museum

Old December 25th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
ArieV

Default Daffodil @ the DAF museum

--
Grts Arie vd Vliet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAF-museum-23-12-07_021.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	112896
Old December 27th 07, 07:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Phil Rhodes[_2_]

Thanks for the photos, Arie. They bring back memories for me, as I was in
Amsterdam in 1968 and I rented a DAF and drove to Copenhagen. Heading down
the autoban, going as fast as the little DAF could go, I came upon a VW
beetle in the slow lane only going 99 kph, whilst I was doing a good 100
kph. In order to pass, I had to have a downhill of at least a km to pick up
enough speed to overtake without holding up the Mercedes that kept catching
us in the fast lane (they were doing 150 kph or better). Finally, the
downhill showed up, I checked the mirror, it was clear behind us, pulled out
and slowly inched up beside the VW, looked in the mirror, and there was a
big Mercedes there flashing his lights at me. But I kept at it (after all he
thought I was Dutch and finally passed the VW, and watched the Mercedes
vanish, rapido!!!!
That DAF had two speed transmission, forward and reverse, and a 3 cyl
engine. I notice the 3 lug nuts on the wheels, too. The big DAF trucks that
do the Dakar Race are related, eh?

ll.nl...

Old December 28th 07, 08:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

As I recall, Phil, the Daf had a flat twin engine along the same lines as
the Citroën 2CV. Later models used the in-line 4 from Renault.

max

news

Old December 28th 07, 04:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
guest

"MagisterMax" > wrote

> As I recall, Phil, the Daf had a flat twin engine along the same lines
> as the Citroën 2CV. Later models used the in-line 4 from Renault.

Did both cylinder fire at the same time?

OMC (Outboard Marine Corp.) had a flat twin 2-stroke engine for their
snowmobile where the cylinders fired at the same time. Because of that it
was a remarkably smooth engine.

Ron
Old December 28th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Bert Kanters[_2_]

"guest" > schreef in bericht
> OMC (Outboard Marine Corp.) had a flat twin 2-stroke engine for their
> snowmobile where the cylinders fired at the same time. Because of that it
> was a remarkably smooth engine.
>
> Ron

That sounds unlikely to me, but I could be wrong of course. If so, why
didn't others do it that way?
I do know the Citroen 2CV fires both plugs everytime together, however one
is a "waste spark" as only one cilinder is compressing fresh mixture, the
other is removing burned mixture. This way there is no distributor needed.

Old December 28th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
ArieV

Correction,the DAF's had 2 cilinder boxer DAFengines,later the DAF 55 and
DAF 66 had 4 cilinder liquid cooled Renault engines.
Yes,the big DAF trucks are related.
I have a DAF truck myself,I'm Restorating a DAF 2800(11,6 ltr 6 cil 310 hp)
from 1979 togehter with my son(17)

Grts Arie vd Vliet

"Phil Rhodes" > schreef in bericht
news
> Thanks for the photos, Arie. They bring back memories for me, as I was in
> Amsterdam in 1968 and I rented a DAF and drove to Copenhagen. Heading down
> the autoban, going as fast as the little DAF could go, I came upon a VW
> beetle in the slow lane only going 99 kph, whilst I was doing a good 100
> kph. In order to pass, I had to have a downhill of at least a km to pick
> up
> enough speed to overtake without holding up the Mercedes that kept
> catching
> us in the fast lane (they were doing 150 kph or better). Finally, the
> downhill showed up, I checked the mirror, it was clear behind us, pulled
> out
> and slowly inched up beside the VW, looked in the mirror, and there was a
> big Mercedes there flashing his lights at me. But I kept at it (after all
> he
> thought I was Dutch and finally passed the VW, and watched the Mercedes
> vanish, rapido!!!!
> That DAF had two speed transmission, forward and reverse, and a 3 cyl
> engine. I notice the 3 lug nuts on the wheels, too. The big DAF trucks
> that
> do the Dakar Race are related, eh?
>

> "ArieV" <arie at arievdvliet dot nl> wrote in message
> ll.nl...
>>

>> --
>> Grts Arie vd Vliet

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007-09-06-1318.jpg (362.4 KB, 35 views)
Old December 28th 07, 08:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
MagisterMax

I've never heard of that. Usually on a twin the cylinders fire in alternate
order and, of course, there's a counterweighted crankshaft to smooth things
out. Boxer engines are supposed to be very smooth because of the opposing
power pulses but I don't know enough about crankshaft and connecting rod
connections to speculate any further. I didn't think any engine ever fired
2 cylinders at the same time. Even on the large V12 and V16 engines I
thought there was always an overlap.

Max

Old December 28th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
guest

"ArieV" <arie at arievdvliet dot nl> wrote
> I have a DAF truck myself,I'm Restorating a DAF 2800(11,6 ltr 6 cil
> 310 hp) from 1979 togehter with my son(17)

Let me guess, your projects get bigger and bigger all the time.

Ron
Old December 29th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
ArieV

"guest" > schreef in bericht
> "ArieV" <arie at arievdvliet dot nl> wrote
>> I have a DAF truck myself,I'm Restorating a DAF 2800(11,6 ltr 6 cil
>> 310 hp) from 1979 togehter with my son(17)

> Let me guess, your projects get bigger and bigger all the time.
>
> Ron

Eeeeehm,yes,but this is big enough,I think