67 Mustang won't start

Old December 24th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 67 Mustang won't start

About a month ago my 67 mustang GT just stopped turning over.
The battery is good.
It was in hurricane season so it was humid but i didn't think it could
cause any damage.
When I turn the key it does absolutely nothing.

the headlights come on bright and the radio plays but there is not even
a peep from the engine at all.

Please I need help!!!

Old December 24th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

starter Bendix is likely the problem.

ups.com...

Old December 25th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"Les Benn" > wrote in message
> starter Bendix is likely the problem.

Good possibility. Try hitting the starter with a hammer a couple of times.
No kidding.
Otherwise check the battery cables for corrosion.
There may be enough juice getting through to run the
accessories, but not enough to start the engine.

Old December 25th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
louis

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> Otherwise check the battery cables for corrosion.
> There may be enough juice getting through to run the
> accessories, but not enough to start the engine.

that is what I vote for, clean them off really good. Especially after a few
months

Old December 25th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

"louis" > wrote in message
reenews.net...

> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>

>> Otherwise check the battery cables for corrosion.
>> There may be enough juice getting through to run the
>> accessories, but not enough to start the engine.

> that is what I vote for, clean them off really good. Especially after a
> few months

Especially check were the cable attaches. When you start twisting
the clamp and cable around, all this green powder falls out
What looks to be intact can be deceiving and it does not take
much juice to run a headlight.

Old December 25th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "louis" > wrote in message
> reenews.net...
>>
>> "goodnigh" > wrote in message
>> nk.net...
>>

>>> Otherwise check the battery cables for corrosion.
>>> There may be enough juice getting through to run the
>>> accessories, but not enough to start the engine.

>> that is what I vote for, clean them off really good. Especially after a
>> few months

> Especially check were the cable attaches. When you start twisting
> the clamp and cable around, all this green powder falls out
> What looks to be intact can be deceiving and it does not take
> much juice to run a headlight.

Change it all out... it's cheap to do on a '67... I know. Solenoid, cables,
wires, starter, betcha the whole thing takes one hour and under $100. We're
literally talking a few screws here. And do the wires and cap and rotor
while you're at it. It WILL start then and run like a dream.

Brad

Old December 26th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

The two biggest consumers of electric in a car are the starter and the horn,
either one, can kill a battery very quickly. Most people think that the
alternator is the problem, usually it is the starter or a short in the horn
that kills a battery. with a voltmeter, you can check the alternator. it
should read somewhere near 14 volts at idle. If lights work and horn then
start suspecting the starter. In some cars changing a starter is a piece of
cake, with others require you to be a bit of a contortionist to get to the
bolts. Any good Auto Parts store will do a current draw test for a starter
for free. If the starter is dead or dieing it is best to just replace it or
rebuild it. If you have a car with a difficult to remove starter, I
recommend buying one from the manufacturer, since some car parts starters
are not of good quality.

nk.net...

Old December 26th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks yall.

I got it working.

gotta love the old muscle!!!!

Old December 27th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
goodnigh

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Thanks yall.
>
> I got it working.
>
> gotta love the old muscle!!!!

What did you end up doing?
How did you fix it?
We gotta know.

Old December 28th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
BradandBrooks

"goodnigh" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > wrote in message