Hydraulic case questions

Old May 22nd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Hydraulic case questions

Hi RAMVA!!!

I'd like to know. How can I tell a hydraulic case from a solid lifter
one? Can you use solid lifters in a hydraulic case? One of the cases I
have is a mexican AS41. Bought by the PO about 3 years ago. It is one
of those universal cases with the threaded holes on the back to mount
on buses (it has at least 3 of those). It had solid lifters, and if
possible, I'd like to use hydraulic ones.

TIA,
Karls

Old May 23rd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Karls" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi RAMVA!!!
>
> I'd like to know. How can I tell a hydraulic case from a solid lifter
> one? Can you use solid lifters in a hydraulic case? One of the cases I
> have is a mexican AS41. Bought by the PO about 3 years ago. It is one
> of those universal cases with the threaded holes on the back to mount
> on buses (it has at least 3 of those). It had solid lifters, and if
> possible, I'd like to use hydraulic ones.

Both cases will look very similar and both are AS41 and cast from the same
molds. However the solid lift bores are smaller than the hydraulic and it
may be that some of the galleries are larger too, but I am just guessing
here.

Old May 23rd 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Karls wrote:

> hydraulic case

hydraulic / solid case--no such thing both kinds of lifters fit in same
case--they just work differently.
Old May 23rd 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Henderson" > wrote in message
> Karls wrote:
>
> hydraulic / solid case--no such thing both kinds of lifters fit in same
> case--they just work differently.

Yes there most definately is such a thing as a 'hydraulic case'. It uses
lifters (very similar to the Type 4) which have a larger diameter than the
solid versions, so the case has larger bores. Since both cases are made
from the same casting blocks, the new solid lifter cases come with thicker
lifter bore walls than previously.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

This is not true, I have a hydraulic Mexican Type 1 engine in my car right
now. As has been said in the past they are made differently to accept larger
lifter bores.