2000 A4 Avant 1.8 T Sport Oil Pressure Sensor Failure

Old November 22nd 06, 10:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

Default 2000 A4 Avant 1.8 T Sport Oil Pressure Sensor Failure

Anyone know anything about this?

We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or else
the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only happened after
driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.

It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!

Old November 22nd 06, 11:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Keep on Plonkin'

"Marcus Redd" > wrote in message
g.com...
> Anyone know anything about this?
>
> We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
> point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
> the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or else
> the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only happened
> after driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>
> It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
> singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!

1.8T? Could be the dreaded "sludging/oil coking" these motors are known to
experience. Might want to have the pan dropped and check pump inlet screen
and pickup tube for clogging.

Old November 22nd 06, 02:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:38:42 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:

>Anyone know anything about this?
>
>We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
>point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
>the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or else
>the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only happened after
>driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>
>It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!

You *are* wearing your tin-foil hat while driving, right?

IMHO, if nothing else, sometimes things happen. I've replaced five
thermostats on my H1 Hummer, but no one says its a known issue! <bg>
However, once you get to five, then you can say (as I do) "It's a know
issue!" <rbg>

Old November 22nd 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
C.R. Krieger

Marcus Redd wrote:
> Anyone know anything about this?
>
> It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
> singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!

Known for decades and not just in A4s, not just in 1.8s, not just in
Audis. Why the Bavarians insist on specifying and using these pieces
of crap for such an important function I can't imagine. One good thing
about them is what you mentioned: they're cheap. Two other good things
about them a

1) You can buy 'em almost anywhere - I get mine at AutoZone.
2) They're really easy to replace on the BMW M30 3.5 head ...
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that - too many times)

Old November 22nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"C.R. Krieger" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Marcus Redd wrote:
>> Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>> singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!

> Known for decades and not just in A4s, not just in 1.8s, not just in
> Audis. Why the Bavarians insist on specifying and using these pieces
> of crap for such an important function I can't imagine. One good thing
> about them is what you mentioned: they're cheap. Two other good things
> about them a
>
> 1) You can buy 'em almost anywhere - I get mine at AutoZone.
> 2) They're really easy to replace on the BMW M30 3.5 head ...
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (Been there; done that - too many times)

That's cheered me up quite a bit - thanks!

Old November 22nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"Keep on Plonkin'" > wrote in message
> "Marcus Redd" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
>> point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
>> the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or
>> else the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only
>> happened after driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>>
>> It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>> singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!
>>

> 1.8T? Could be the dreaded "sludging/oil coking" these motors are known
> to experience. Might want to have the pan dropped and check pump inlet
> screen and pickup tube for clogging.

Thanks, I've heard of that, but, as I said, the engine is fine despite
running it afterwards (after having the AA guy checking that oil is still
moving around) so I really don't think this is the issue - it had a complete
oil change just a few months back anyway, with the correct fancy silicon or
whatever oil.

Old November 22nd 06, 08:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Marcus Redd

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:38:42 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:
>
>>Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>>We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
>>point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
>>the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or else
>>the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only happened
>>after
>>driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>>
>>It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>>singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!
>>

> You *are* wearing your tin-foil hat while driving, right?

Tin??? You mean this baking-paper-bonnet I'm wearing is insufficient
protection? Where can I get this "tin-foil" as you call it?

> IMHO, if nothing else, sometimes things happen. I've replaced five
> thermostats on my H1 Hummer, but no one says its a known issue! <bg>
> However, once you get to five, then you can say (as I do) "It's a know
> issue!" <rbg>

Hehehe, well, it's becoming an issue known to me, that much is true. Maybe
I'll just buy a six-pack of sensors and change them whenever I'm bored.

;o)

Old November 23rd 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 20:21:30 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:

>"PeterD" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:38:42 -0000, "Marcus Redd" > wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know anything about this?
>>>
>>>We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
>>>point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again. Got
>>>the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good (or else
>>>the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only happened
>>>after
>>>driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>>>
>>>It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>>>singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even ALIENS?!?!?!
>>>

>> You *are* wearing your tin-foil hat while driving, right?

>Tin??? You mean this baking-paper-bonnet I'm wearing is insufficient
>protection? Where can I get this "tin-foil" as you call it?

Oops, terminology mismatch! Yes, the baking-paper-bonnet is fine,
sufficient.

>> IMHO, if nothing else, sometimes things happen. I've replaced five
>> thermostats on my H1 Hummer, but no one says its a known issue! <bg>
>> However, once you get to five, then you can say (as I do) "It's a know
>> issue!" <rbg>

>Hehehe, well, it's becoming an issue known to me, that much is true. Maybe
>I'll just buy a six-pack of sensors and change them whenever I'm bored.

I'm not sure I'd recommend that, but if you can get them from a couple
of different makers you may find one make is better than another...
Old November 23rd 06, 05:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Keep on Plonkin'

"Marcus Redd" > wrote in message
g.com...
> "Keep on Plonkin'" > wrote in message
>> "Marcus Redd" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>> Anyone know anything about this?
>>>
>>> We had a sensor failure (or blockage?) back in May or something at which
>>> point the sensor was replaced, and it looks like it's happened again.
>>> Got the critical warning about oil pressure, but oil pressure IS good
>>> (or else the engine would have died a thousand deaths by now...) Only
>>> happened after driving 20 miles or so at 80mph.
>>>
>>> It's a cheap part to replace, but is this a known issue or have I been
>>> singled out by some sort of evil conspiracy, or perhaps even
>>> ALIENS?!?!?!
>>>

>> 1.8T? Could be the dreaded "sludging/oil coking" these motors are known
>> to experience. Might want to have the pan dropped and check pump inlet
>> screen and pickup tube for clogging.

> Thanks, I've heard of that, but, as I said, the engine is fine despite
> running it afterwards (after having the AA guy checking that oil is still
> moving around) so I really don't think this is the issue - it had a
> complete oil change just a few months back anyway, with the correct fancy
> silicon or whatever oil.

So I assume you've had the oil pressure verified with a mechanical gauge
when cold and hot? You may not want to rely upon the fact that the engine
has not yet experienced an oil-starvation failure just yet, if your oil
pickup is clogged it will still run with low pressure for some period of
time, with accelerated wear due to low pressure. These engines have such a
small sump due to their marginal design that they now require a strict oil
change interval of 5000 miles with a larger filter (to get the oil capacity
up to more than 4 quarts) and a VW/Audi-approved synthetic oil (in the US
the most common of these oils are Mobil1 0w40 and Castrol Syntec and
Valvoline Synpower 5w40).

Unless you say for certain that your motor has adhered to these requirements
since new you have a possibility of having an oil starvation problem due to
oil coking. And unless you can prove to Audi you've adhered to their
oil/filter/change schedule, you'll be SOL on any warranty coverage.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Keep on Plonkin'