Pertronix ignition

Old November 28th 05, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Pertronix ignition

Hi,

I have 1200 Mexico 1985 and just thinking about getting the Pertronix
Ignitor and the Pertronix Coil.
Could you advise me which piece I need? There is a few types as I found.
There is also 3 types of coil: 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm and 3 Ohm. Which one is
best for Beetle?

Thanks,
Seweryn

Old November 29th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Seweryn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 1200 Mexico 1985 and just thinking about getting the Pertronix
> Ignitor and the Pertronix Coil.
> Could you advise me which piece I need? There is a few types as I found.
> There is also 3 types of coil: 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm and 3 Ohm. Which one is
> best for Beetle?
>
> Thanks,
> Seweryn

The Pertronix is quite happy with your standard coil, to upgrade I would
rather spend money on a CDI unit rather than coil.

A CDI box + a Pertronix is hard to beat, add Iridium or similar plugs
and you have a 50.000 Miles maintnance free system..

J.
Old November 29th 05, 07:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

P.J. Berg wrote:

> Seweryn wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 1200 Mexico 1985 and just thinking about getting the Pertronix
>> Ignitor and the Pertronix Coil.
>> Could you advise me which piece I need? There is a few types as I found.
>> There is also 3 types of coil: 0.6 Ohm, 1.5 Ohm and 3 Ohm. Which one is
>> best for Beetle?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Seweryn
>>

> The Pertronix is quite happy with your standard coil, to upgrade I would
> rather spend money on a CDI unit rather than coil.
>
> A CDI box + a Pertronix is hard to beat, add Iridium or similar plugs
> and you have a 50.000 Miles maintnance free system..
>
> J.

I would not put long life plugs in a bug.
You have to remove the plugs fairly often, even if there's nothing
wroing with them, just to keep them clean. If you put too many miles on
ANY plugs, the carbon buildup in the threads will make it hard to remove
them.. and then you end up stripping the threads in the heads.

Jan

Old November 29th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"P.J. Berg" wrote in message:

> The Pertronix is quite happy with your standard coil, to upgrade I would
> rather spend money on a CDI unit rather than coil.
>
> A CDI box + a Pertronix is hard to beat, add Iridium or similar plugs
> and you have a 50.000 Miles maintnance free system..

Sounds great.
Where can I get it? Any particular type of the CDI for Bug? And is it
more efficient than the Petronix coil?
I need it for standard 1200 Engine.

Regards,
Seweryn

Old November 29th 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Seweryn wrote:
> "P.J. Berg" wrote in message:
>

>>The Pertronix is quite happy with your standard coil, to upgrade I would
>>rather spend money on a CDI unit rather than coil.
>>
>>A CDI box + a Pertronix is hard to beat, add Iridium or similar plugs
>>and you have a 50.000 Miles maintnance free system..

> Sounds great.
> Where can I get it? Any particular type of the CDI for Bug? And is it
> more efficient than the Petronix coil?
> I need it for standard 1200 Engine.
>
> Regards,
> Seweryn

A CDI unit amplifies your current going to the coil to 400 Volts and
ignites three times by your standard trigger signal, the cheapest that
was on the market was Universial industries "Tiger "something"" used to
be sold by : www.Aircooled.net

He is no longer carrying the product, not to do with quality, merely
a business transaction thing.

They have been around since the fifties.. Well worth their money..

If you fail to locate them, go for Mallory, offers the same deal but in
a more expensive wrapping.

After that it is MSD, expensive, new wrapping, same ****e..

J.
Old November 30th 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article <XL5jf.1588$zc1.1031@amstwist00>,
P.J. Berg > wrote:

>A CDI unit amplifies your current going to the coil to 400 Volts and
>ignites three times by your standard trigger signal, the cheapest that
>was on the market was Universial industries "Tiger "something"" used to
>be sold by : www.Aircooled.net
>
> He is no longer carrying the product, not to do with quality, merely
>a business transaction thing.

I once emailed Universal Industries. They told me they would email me
when they resumed making the part. They did! (I had sold the bug already

--
Eduardo K. |
http://www.carfun.cl | Freedom's just another word

Old November 30th 05, 09:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I just installed a modified golf dist and TP100 ign
module on mine, works great.
I suppose it would be possible to skip the shaft milling
and just take the insides out and mount into a beetle
dist, but i didn't tried that.
Email me if you want the wiring diagram, it's dead simple,
6 wires.

Bart Bervoets

Old November 30th 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Did they mention where can you buy the kit online?

Karls

Old December 3rd 05, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article >,
Karls Vladimir Peña > wrote:
>Did they mention where can you buy the kit online?

I googled for it.... cant remember right now.

http://www.carfun.cl | "World domination, now"
http://e.nn.cl | Linus Torvalds