Cracked Head Need Advice

Old June 12th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dennis524

Default Cracked Head Need Advice

I installed a new head on a my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The old one cracked.
The Jeep has 78,000 miles. When I drained the oil about a quart of pure
anti-freeze came pouring out first and then came the oil. I don't know how
long the engine was run with this oil & anti-freeze mixture. When the engine
is started cold the oil pressure gauge goes to 50lbs.and drops to 40 after
warming up. Would it be a good idea to remove the oil pan and clean it out
and make sure that the oil pump screen is clean or would this be a waste of
time considering that the oil pressure isn't real low. Thanks for any
advice.

Dennis B.

Old June 12th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Dennis524 wrote:
> I installed a new head on a my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The old one cracked.
> The Jeep has 78,000 miles. When I drained the oil about a quart of pure
> anti-freeze came pouring out first and then came the oil. I don't know how
> long the engine was run with this oil & anti-freeze mixture. When the engine
> is started cold the oil pressure gauge goes to 50lbs.and drops to 40 after
> warming up. Would it be a good idea to remove the oil pan and clean it out
> and make sure that the oil pump screen is clean or would this be a waste of
> time considering that the oil pressure isn't real low. Thanks for any
> advice.
>
> Dennis B.

That oil pressure isn't bad on a 4.0. What is it at idle after it's warm?
As for the cleaning. Not really worth it as long as you changed out the
oil and filter a couple times.
You could run some flush through it if your really worried but I
wouldn't bother.

--
Steve W.
Old June 12th 09, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dennis524

Thanks for your response. When I had a Fram oil filter on it the oil
pressure gauge would fluctuate with rpm, 20 lbs.at idle and up to 40 lbs.at
around 2000 rpm I changed to a Mobile 1 filter and the gauge reads 40 lbs,
at idle and up to 50 with increased rpm.
Why would the oil filter have anything to do with regulating the oil
pressure? I didn't have the Fram filter on for very long because I was
flushing out the old oil.

Dennis B.

Old June 12th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

Dennis524 wrote:
> Thanks for your response. When I had a Fram oil filter on it the oil
> pressure gauge would fluctuate with rpm, 20 lbs.at idle and up to 40 lbs.at
> around 2000 rpm I changed to a Mobile 1 filter and the gauge reads 40 lbs,
> at idle and up to 50 with increased rpm.
> Why would the oil filter have anything to do with regulating the oil
> pressure? I didn't have the Fram filter on for very long because I was
> flushing out the old oil.
>
> Dennis B.

Different internal construction and flow abilities for the two brands.
That pressure should be fine.

--
Steve W.
Old June 12th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Jun 11, 6:19*pm, "Dennis524" > wrote:
> I installed a new *head on a my 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0. The old one cracked.
> The Jeep has 78,000 miles. When I drained the oil about a quart of pure
> anti-freeze came pouring out first and then came the oil. I don't know how
> long the engine was run with this oil & anti-freeze mixture. When the engine
> is started cold the oil pressure gauge goes to 50lbs.and drops to 40 after
> warming up. Would it be a good idea to remove the oil pan and clean it out
> and make sure that the oil pump screen is clean or would this be a waste of
> time considering that the oil pressure isn't real low. *Thanks for any
> advice.
>
> Dennis B.

Dont even bother unless the oil pressure drops dramatically.
Coolant/water will evaporate after a while assuming your tstat is bad.
HTH
Ben
Old June 13th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

I'm not a big fan of the orange can, although I have not heard of it
causing problems with oil pressure (usually it's a nonfunctional ADBV or
the can physically blowing apart.)

That said, there's really only one thing to worry about and that's
corrosion of the bearing material due to exposure to water. If you've
"flushed" the oil (I assume that that means that you changed the oil,
ran it for a while, then changed it again) you've done all you can.
It'll either hold together, or oil pressure will drop. In any case 40
PSI hot idle is fine, I would not spend any time at all worrying about
it unless it changes in the future.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

VR6 AFP Cracked Head Repair [email protected] VW water cooled 7 November 12th 07 01:35 PM
Blown head gasket, cracked head, or both? Pigeon Hohl Technology 4 October 21st 07 01:31 AM
4.0L Cracked Head James Hilins Jeep 10 November 10th 06 01:29 AM
Cracked head question Phatman[_1_] VW air cooled 1 August 14th 06 01:19 PM
Cracked head! kangel Saturn 5 October 17th 05 03:42 AM