Vaccum

Old August 20th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Default Vaccum

wrote:
> Top post - bottom post - middle post - posts made by making points.... Some
> of you guys are totally ****ed... and I am surprised you are allowed to
> vote....

And I'm surprised that "some of you guys" are allowed to post. Much
of it has to do with "it's not nice or standard to spit on the warehouse
floor." And one does it anyway. YMMV.

--

"While the fringe on one side hurl epithets at the fringe
on the other side, the vast bulk of us sit here somewhere
Old August 20th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

"I often think how wasteful it is that those with real capabilities
should
doubt their abilities, while bunglers seem so damn sure of
themselves."
-- Gil Amelio, "On the Firing Line"

Old August 21st 08, 08:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brad and Karen

Default Vaccum PINGING MECHANIC

Hiya Mechanic. Hey, I took off the oil cap and when I turned off the car, no "exhale". Wow. So, WTH is it? Does this help you?

PS: Replaced the lines from the carbon canister today. They were old but it made now difference, as I just mentioned.

Thanks!

Brad

"Brad and Karen" > wrote in message news:JKOqk.199093$gc5.189326@pd7urf2no...
Hey Mechanic.

I haven't been around for a few days... sorry. Getting married. She's practically wearing a new Mustang on her finger and the freaking band alone would have bought me a supercharger... oh well.

So, I took off the oil cap today. It's a rubber push-in type... lots of suction there, while the engine is running and right after I turned it off. Is that bad? I forgot to turn it off without the cap on...my bad.

The sound is just the weirdest... I've thought about this a lot and it's a constant sound when running, like - and this is close as I can come to it - like when you blow into a bottle... THAT sound! When you turn off the car it's like a high pitched hum for about 1 or 2 seconds that fades quickly and dies. It's so hard to explain.

Does any of that help?

I tried the pipe thing and that didn't work. Tried spraying water and that didn't work. Looked at the lines and everything under the hood and they all looked okay, but some are old and I'll replace them all this weekend.

I really do appreciate your time on this... it's so embarassing to have a bright red Cobra make funny noises...

Thanks again.

Brad

> wrote in message news:%nGnk.6221$nu6.5523@edtnps83...
Engine vacuum is a relative thing.... IIRC, you are in Calgary which is about 3500 feet. This makes 15 in/Hg at idle pretty good.... (you are also going to be interested in anything that the gauge is doing - pulsing, nosing over, anything...). Those closer to sea level will see idle vacuum closer to 18~20 inches. 30 inches Hg is considered "perfect" vacuum.... ain't gonna happen in the intake manifold...

Even though this car is computer controlled , the basics still apply.... "suck - squeeze - bang - blow"... vacuum gauges, compression testers and the whole nine yards are still very important tools... If a sensor reading isn't outside the "window", there probably wont be a code but there could still be a problem....

Even though this has been an on going concern and you have described it a few times, I'm still having trouble correlating "exhales".... this is one of those things I wish I could here at least once....

I am assuming that you tried locating the noise with a piece of hose and it didn't help? Let's grasp at a few straws, then.... try letting the car idle.... with it running, remove the oil filler cap. Does it come off normally? With the oil filler cap off, turn the car off - does it still "exhale".

Just to refresh ones memory - the sound is definitely underhood? Other than this noise, no other symptoms exist?

Hmmm... a top posted over HTML reply.... Ooooh, I are bad.

"Brad and Karen" > wrote in message news:_%bnk.122096$kx.44651@pd7urf3no...
Does anyone know the vaccum on a stock 1993 5.0/Cobra?

I'm getting a consistent 15, which I assume is good, but there's definitely a leak as the car "exhales" when I turn it off. I can't find the leak for the life of me, but it has to be an accessory.

How do I reconcile 15 with the exhale?

Thanks guys.

Brad