1998 Audi A8 4.2 - Heated seat doesn’t cool -car won’t start

Old March 20th 05, 04:42 PM
bigschweeler

Default 1998 Audi A8 4.2 - Heated seat doesn’t cool -car won’t start

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what happened with
my A8. I just bought it two/three weeks ago, and on Friday was
driving home and had the heated seat turned on. About half way there,
I turned it off, but it didn’t cool, and stayed on the entire way
home. I started to wonder if there was a problem, but had some issues
at home to deal with and didn’t give it too much thought.

The next day I went to start the car and it is completely dead. The
keyless entry won’t even work. My guess is the battery is completely
dead.

So if I jump start it today, will the heated seat likely go on right
away?

Do I need a new battery at this point?

Does the heated seat draw off the battery even if the car is off?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-1998-...ict108358.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=506258
Old March 20th 05, 04:47 PM
JimV

bigschweeler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what happened with
> my A8. I just bought it two/three weeks ago, and on Friday was
> driving home and had the heated seat turned on. About half way there,
> I turned it off, but it didn’t cool, and stayed on the entire way
> home. I started to wonder if there was a problem, but had some issues
> at home to deal with and didn’t give it too much thought.
>
> The next day I went to start the car and it is completely dead. The
> keyless entry won’t even work. My guess is the battery is completely
> dead.
>
> So if I jump start it today, will the heated seat likely go on right
> away?
>
> Do I need a new battery at this point?
>
> Does the heated seat draw off the battery even if the car is off?

I suspect you have a stuck relay. Your battery will probably come back,
but with a shorter lifespan. Find the relays for the seats and pull
them. AS you're likely learn, nice cars, but not wonderfully reliable.
Old March 21st 05, 06:47 AM
bigschweeler

"JimV1" wrote:
> bigschweeler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what

> happened with
> > my A8. I just bought it two/three weeks ago, and on Friday

> was
> > driving home and had the heated seat turned on. About half

> way there,
> > I turned it off, but it didn’t cool, and stayed on the

> entire way
> > home. I started to wonder if there was a problem, but had

> some issues
> > at home to deal with and didn’t give it too much thought.
> >
> > The next day I went to start the car and it is completely

> dead. The
> > keyless entry won’t even work. My guess is the battery is

> completely
> > dead.
> >
> > So if I jump start it today, will the heated seat likely go

> on right
> > away?
> >
> > Do I need a new battery at this point?
> >
> > Does the heated seat draw off the battery even if the car is

> off?
> >

> I suspect you have a stuck relay. Your battery will probably
> come back,
> but with a shorter lifespan. Find the relays for the seats and
> pull
> them. AS you're likely learn, nice cars, but not wonderfully
> reliable.

Thanks for your reply. However, I’m not sure what you mean by
"relay."

What are they and where do I find the ones for the seats?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-1998-...ict108358.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=506422
Old March 22nd 05, 05:34 AM
Grizzly

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:47:03 -0000, bigschweeler
> wrote:

>"JimV1" wrote:
> > bigschweeler wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what

> > happened with
> > > my A8. I just bought it two/three weeks ago, and on Friday

> > was
> > > driving home and had the heated seat turned on. About half

> > way there,
> > > I turned it off, but it didn’t cool, and stayed on the

> > entire way
> > > home. I started to wonder if there was a problem, but had

> > some issues
> > > at home to deal with and didn’t give it too much thought.
> > >
> > > The next day I went to start the car and it is completely

> > dead. The
> > > keyless entry won’t even work. My guess is the battery is

> > completely
> > > dead.
> > >
> > > So if I jump start it today, will the heated seat likely go

> > on right
> > > away?
> > >
> > > Do I need a new battery at this point?
> > >
> > > Does the heated seat draw off the battery even if the car is

> > off?
> > >

> > I suspect you have a stuck relay. Your battery will probably
> > come back,
> > but with a shorter lifespan. Find the relays for the seats and
> > pull
> > them. AS you're likely learn, nice cars, but not wonderfully
> > reliable.

>Thanks for your reply. However, I’m not sure what you mean by
>"relay."
>
>What are they and where do I find the ones for the seats?

They are located with the fuses. They look like small boxes with
multiplugs, Your owners manual (or perhaps something on the fuse box
cover) will tell you which fuse/relay does what.

cool audi [email protected] VW air cooled 0 March 18th 05 11:51 PM
New seat recline handle - 1998 Explorer XLT. Looking for a source. zoti Ford Explorer 10 February 24th 05 07:03 AM
Audi 100 1998 Model + Concert Radio / CD changer ? [email protected] Audi 0 February 22nd 05 02:44 PM
Heated mirrors on Audi a4 1997 G Audi 6 February 12th 05 07:34 PM
1998 Audi A6 electrical problem T-Bone Audi 3 September 22nd 04 03:21 PM