2005 VUE CD Player

Old June 4th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
John Verheul[_2_]

Default 2005 VUE CD Player

The CD player in my 2005 VUE doesn't work. Radio is otherwise fine. Would
you:

1) Take it to a Saturn dealer to repair?

2) Go to a car stereo place and get the whole thing replaced?

3) Just live with it, since my last car only had cassette anyway?

4) Other

Note, I'm not an audiophile, but I do have a lot of music on CD and was
hoping to use it when I do longer drives.

Old June 4th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

John Verheul turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> The CD player in my 2005 VUE doesn't work. Radio is otherwise fine. Would
> you:
>
> 1) Take it to a Saturn dealer to repair?
>
> 2) Go to a car stereo place and get the whole thing replaced?
>
> 3) Just live with it, since my last car only had cassette anyway?
>
> 4) Other
>
> Note, I'm not an audiophile, but I do have a lot of music on CD and was
> hoping to use it when I do longer drives.

I'd go for option #2 and get exactly what you want.

powered by the lizard: www.opensuse.org
Old June 5th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
D&SW

Ditto "PerfectReign". The Saturn dealer does not have the technical
expertise to "repair" the radio. They will just drop in a new radio and
charge you $900. So your choice #2 makes the most sense....unless you have
time to search some auto scrap yards for a wrecked Vue.

BTW does your Vue have a lot of body squeeks and rattles?

Old June 5th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SMS

John Verheul wrote:
> The CD player in my 2005 VUE doesn't work. Radio is otherwise fine. Would
> you:
>
> 1) Take it to a Saturn dealer to repair?
>
> 2) Go to a car stereo place and get the whole thing replaced?
>
> 3) Just live with it, since my last car only had cassette anyway?
>
> 4) Other
>
> Note, I'm not an audiophile, but I do have a lot of music on CD and was
> hoping to use it when I do longer drives.

Presumably it's past the 3/36 warranty.

If you're not an audiophile you can often find a free or low-cost
replacement from someone who is an audiophile and already removed the
original. Post it up on your local Freecycle group, and check craigslist
and eBay.

Crutchfield has a very good web site for narrowing down the acceptable
units by features. I'd probably opt for the Pioneer DEH-P7000BT.

Just remember that if you have On-Star, it won't work (at least it won't
be fully functional) with a non-factory radio. There are some
workarounds to get back the voice prompts.
Old June 5th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
PerfectReign[_1_]

SMS turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

> Just remember that if you have On-Star, it won't work (at least it won't
> be fully functional) with a non-factory radio. There are some
> workarounds to get back the voice prompts.

There are aftermarket connectors which allow On* to work with aftermarket
radios.

I have one on my Avalanche for my Kenwood unit.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com....php?album=292

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...106&fullsize=1

Here's almost the same model Kenwood in a Vue. I plan to put on in my wife's
Vue sometime this year.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp?photo=43705

powered by the lizard: www.opensuse.org
Old June 6th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Jun 4, 6:09*pm, "D&SW" > wrote:
> BTW does your Vue have a lot of body squeeks and rattles?

A bit of a rattle up front, no squeaks.

Thanks everyone for the input!