VR6 AFP Cracked Head Repair

Old October 31st 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default VR6 AFP Cracked Head Repair

Are all cracks repairable on a Jetta year 2000 VR6 AFP head? I do not
have the head removed yet, but am getting coolant into the oil and
exhaust in the radiator. The middle spark plug on the side towards
the fire wall does have a little coolant on it. What is the best
welding rod type for this head. Are there any special issues when
doing a valve job on this head?

Old October 31st 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

> schreef in bericht
ps.com...
> Are all cracks repairable on a Jetta year 2000 VR6 AFP head? I do not
> have the head removed yet, but am getting coolant into the oil and
> exhaust in the radiator. The middle spark plug on the side towards
> the fire wall does have a little coolant on it. What is the best
> welding rod type for this head. Are there any special issues when
> doing a valve job on this head?

Are you sure it's cracked? Maybe it's just a blown head gasket....

SFC

Old November 2nd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Oct 31, 11:58 pm, Madesio > wrote:
> westwindwood2003 wrote:
> > Are all cracks repairable on a Jetta year 2000 VR6 AFP head? I do not
> > have the head removed yet, but am getting coolant into the oil and
> > exhaust in the radiator. The middle spark plug on the side towards the
> > fire wall does have a little coolant on it. What is the best welding
> > rod type for this head. Are there any special issues when doing a valve
> > job on this head?

> Haven't came across one that cracked yet, but yes, what you describe
> sounds like a blown head gasket.

My stepson says the engine overheated some so I thought it is likely
to be a crack, but I sure would like it to be a head gasket. I will
know this weekend. By the way, I checked with NAPA today and they do
not carry a gasket set for doing a head. Where is the best place for
buying that?

Old November 11th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The head was not cracked, but warped 14 thousandths. Will need
complete valve job with new guides. I see that VW recommends
replacement of head bolts for remove and replacement of a head. These
bolts do not appear to be the type that are made to permanently
stretch. I was wondering if a thread cleanup would be sufficient for
reuse.

Old November 11th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Spend another $40 or so and buy new bolts.
You could take a chance on reusing those bolts but then if they don't hold
then look at buying another head gasket, coolant, oil etc. Oh and your
labor!!

AND why did it warp anyway?

Don't forget about maybe a new thermostat housing and any other plastic
thing that also might be warped.
Are you changing the timing chains and etc. too?

Don't you love it when the list grows and grows?
On a 1997 VR6 I did, I had to do the head messed up by the timing chains
along with cleaning out the oil pump strainer.
YES I used new head bolts and yes it was a lot of work. Do it right the
first time and hopefully you won't have to do it again! ;-)

JMHO
--
later,
dave

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The head was not cracked, but warped 14 thousandths. Will need
> complete valve job with new guides. I see that VW recommends
> replacement of head bolts for remove and replacement of a head. These
> bolts do not appear to be the type that are made to permanently
> stretch. I was wondering if a thread cleanup would be sufficient for
> reuse.

Blown head gasket, cracked head, or both? Pigeon Hohl Technology 4 October 21st 07 01:31 AM
Cracked Head Symptoms Mel P. VW air cooled 9 December 14th 06 05:57 PM
4.0L Cracked Head James Hilins Jeep 10 November 10th 06 01:29 AM
Bad news, possible cracked head J B Saturn 17 August 24th 06 12:58 PM
Cracked head! kangel Saturn 5 October 17th 05 03:42 AM