2002 Honda Civic Si/SiR hatch steering creaking

Old October 18th 04, 04:55 PM
JP

Default 2002 Honda Civic Si/SiR hatch steering creaking

Hi,

I have a 2002 Honda Civic SiR (or Si in US), and it has been having
steering problems:

on launching, or at low speeds when the throttle is applied, there is
a creaking sound coming from inside the dash. The sound is similar to
an old door opening where the hinges need oil. Some times it is
particularly loud and at others just a slight screech.

I took it in to the dealership 6 months ago (under full warranty) and
they told me it was the clutch rubbing the wrong thing and they told
me they fixed it. The problem came back eventually but it was fairly
minor and I just left it alone. However, last week the problem became
extremely loud, and got me really worried about the part.

I took it back to the dealership, and they told me that I needed to
replace the steering rack, and the whole thing will cost about
$2000CDN since the car is no longer under full warranty. I simply
can't afford that, so I'm planning to ignore the problem until
something seriouly breaks and I absolutely have to fix the car.

Now, what's your opinion on this problem? Is there anything I can do?
Please help! Thank you!

James
Old October 19th 04, 01:30 PM
Dan Beaton

Hi James,
A worn steering rack is not something you want to ignore. It also
should not occur on such a new car. And C$2,000 can buy a heck of a
lot of repairs; I find it hard to believe that a steering rack would
cost that much to replace.

My first approach would be to go back to the dealer (or another dealer
if you don't get satisfaction from the first one) and note that
this problem first appeared under warranty. (You do have your service
records, right?) It should have been repaired properly then. Ask to
speak to the Honda regional rep. Be polite and persistent. I suspect
that the rep will approve the repair under warranty.

If not, then seek out several opinions, especially from small, private
garages that specialize in Hondas or Japanese cars. You will find that
the repair cost can be much less than at a dealer.

Good luck.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old October 19th 04, 04:21 PM
E. Meyer

I agree with Dan Beaton.

Since you did bring it in with the problem when it was still under warranty
and the fix they attempted at that time did not hold up, you should only
have to remind them of that fact. You will probably have to expend some
energy convincing them that it is, in fact, that same problem. If they
won't talk to you, try calling Honda. Again, you have to convince them that
it is the same problem they attempted to fix under warranty. If they can be
convinced, they will fix it free.

Old October 20th 04, 08:21 PM
JP

Hi, and thanks for your replies!

> On 10/19/04 7:30 AM, in article , "Dan
> Beaton" > wrote:
> > Hi James,
> > A worn steering rack is not something you want to ignore. It also
> > should not occur on such a new car. And C$2,000 can buy a heck of a
> > lot of repairs; I find it hard to believe that a steering rack would
> > cost that much to replace.

Yeah... apparently the 2002+ Honda Civic SiRs have electronic
steering(?) and that's what will cost a lot of money. The steering
rack apparently is C$1400, and the labour to replace it is apparently
close to C$600, thus the $2000 figure. BUT I AGREE WITH YOU THAT THE
STEERING RACK SHOULD NOT BE FAULTY IN SUCH A NEW CAR!!! So I think
that something else must be broken instead of the steering rack...
maybe something is loose? Maybe some things are touching and rubbing??
I don't know...

"E. Meyer" > wrote in message >...
> I agree with Dan Beaton.
>
> Since you did bring it in with the problem when it was still under warranty
> and the fix they attempted at that time did not hold up, you should only
> have to remind them of that fact. You will probably have to expend some

Yeah, I called and spoke with the service manager... he was very
pleasant to speak with and I hope he recognizes that it's a problem to
be fixed by the dealership... but if it's the steering rack instead of
some strut bearing, maybe they won't eat the cost... we'll see...

Again, thanks for your replies!

James
Old October 26th 04, 09:40 AM
Mwing

I have the exact same problem, but my car is lowered, should I put back the
stock springs on and take it to dealer? I still have warranty.

Thanks.

"JP" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2002 Honda Civic SiR (or Si in US), and it has been having
> steering problems:
>
> on launching, or at low speeds when the throttle is applied, there is
> a creaking sound coming from inside the dash. The sound is similar to
> an old door opening where the hinges need oil. Some times it is
> particularly loud and at others just a slight screech.
>
> I took it in to the dealership 6 months ago (under full warranty) and
> they told me it was the clutch rubbing the wrong thing and they told
> me they fixed it. The problem came back eventually but it was fairly
> minor and I just left it alone. However, last week the problem became
> extremely loud, and got me really worried about the part.
>
> I took it back to the dealership, and they told me that I needed to
> replace the steering rack, and the whole thing will cost about
> $2000CDN since the car is no longer under full warranty. I simply
> can't afford that, so I'm planning to ignore the problem until
> something seriouly breaks and I absolutely have to fix the car.
>
> Now, what's your opinion on this problem? Is there anything I can do?
> Please help! Thank you!
>
> James

Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
Honda Civic Overperformance Me Honda 0 October 11th 04 02:25 PM
1993 honda civic rockinrobin Honda 6 October 3rd 04 06:48 PM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM