Fuel line depressurization

Old August 15th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawkeye65

Default Fuel line depressurization

I need to change the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket on my 89 Mustang LX
(4-cyl) and the manual says I need to depressurize the fuel system. I the
fuel cut-off switch in the trunk does not work. It only works if I
disconnect the switch from the electronic connector. How can I be sure the
fuel system is not pressurized before I begin? I've heard that leaving the
fuel cap off for a couple of hours will make sure, but I would like to hear
from people who have a little more experience than the person I heard that
from.

TIA,
Hawkeye65

Old August 15th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
mauimary

"Hawkeye65" > wrote in message
>I need to change the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket on my 89 Mustang LX
>(4-cyl) and the manual says I need to depressurize the fuel system. I the
>fuel cut-off switch in the trunk does not work. It only works if I
>disconnect the switch from the electronic connector. How can I be sure the
>fuel system is not pressurized before I begin? I've heard that leaving the
>fuel cap off for a couple of hours will make sure, but I would like to hear
>from people who have a little more experience than the person I heard that
>from.

Fuel cap is not involved.
Fuel pump pressurizes fuel rail and return line, fuel filter, not tank, and
you want the fuel pump off, and to stay off.
Disconnect battery.
The fuel rail stays pressurized for about 15 min(?) after you turn off
ignition sw.
With ignition sw off, (fuel pump off) and fuel rail still pressurized and
you can still disconnect a fuel line or the return line, but you might get
some gas sprayed on you but you can put a rag over it and the gas will get
caught by it, not much gas at all, 1/6 cup max.
You can also depressurize it at the fuel filter, loosen one end.
Or just wait about an hour.
Best to have the battery disconnected during all this. You don't want the
fuel pump to come on with the fuel system open.

5.0 1989 ex cop car, nice and fast
5.0 1993 ex cop car w 8# keene bell blower even faster

Old August 15th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Remove the fuel pump relay or disconnect the inertia switch.... attempt to
start the car - it may run momentarily and die...... then, after that, just
crank and not start... If the car continues to run, something is wrong.

Old August 15th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim C[_2_]

On Aug 14, 10:08*pm, "Hawkeye65" > wrote:
> I need to change the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket on my 89 Mustang LX
> (4-cyl) and the manual says I need to depressurize the fuel system. I the
> fuel cut-off switch in the trunk does not work. It only works if I
> disconnect the switch from the electronic connector. How can I be sure the
> fuel system is not pressurized before I begin? I've heard that leaving the
> fuel cap off for a couple of hours will make sure, but I would like to hear
> from people who have a little more experience than the person I heard that
> from.
>
> TIA,
> Hawkeye65

What worked for me in the past is to check the manual, and pull the
fuse for the fuel pump, then crank, start and run until it dies. I
was always unsure of myself working with the fuel rails and the
Schrader valve, I learned recently how to, and it is ABSOLUTELY not
that bad. (I'm not completely sure if it's the same on the 4cyl).

Look on the fuel rail. You will see a valve that looks (a little)
like a bicycle tire valve. Go to Pep Boys and buy the Fuel Line De-
pressurizing tool, or take a small screwdriver and a rag to catch the
overflow and press the pin in the center of the valve in, until
nothing more runs out. This is the 'by the book' way, it's not that
hard, and it seems like running your engine until it 'runs out of
fuel' is just a little too harsh.
Old August 16th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hawkeye65

"Jim C" > wrote in message
On Aug 14, 10:08 pm, "Hawkeye65" > wrote:
> I need to change the valve cover (rocker cover) gasket on my 89 Mustang LX
> (4-cyl) and the manual says I need to depressurize the fuel system. I the
> fuel cut-off switch in the trunk does not work. It only works if I
> disconnect the switch from the electronic connector. How can I be sure the
> fuel system is not pressurized before I begin? I've heard that leaving the
> fuel cap off for a couple of hours will make sure, but I would like to
> hear
> from people who have a little more experience than the person I heard that
> from.
>
> TIA,
> Hawkeye65

> Provider ----http://www.pronews.comoffers corporate packages that have
> access to 100,000+ newsgroups

What worked for me in the past is to check the manual, and pull the
fuse for the fuel pump, then crank, start and run until it dies. I
was always unsure of myself working with the fuel rails and the
Schrader valve, I learned recently how to, and it is ABSOLUTELY not
that bad. (I'm not completely sure if it's the same on the 4cyl).

Look on the fuel rail. You will see a valve that looks (a little)
like a bicycle tire valve. Go to Pep Boys and buy the Fuel Line De-
pressurizing tool, or take a small screwdriver and a rag to catch the
overflow and press the pin in the center of the valve in, until
nothing more runs out. This is the 'by the book' way, it's not that
hard, and it seems like running your engine until it 'runs out of
fuel' is just a little too harsh.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the one about depressurizing with the valve on
the fuel rail.

Thanks again to all,
Hawkeye65

Fuel return line Yvan@office BMW 0 September 17th 07 11:13 AM
fuel line 88yj Jeep 1 September 10th 07 11:22 PM
Replacing main fuel pump. Question pinching fuel line from transfer pump. tonyw VW water cooled 2 August 14th 06 06:09 AM
New Fuel Line? Lee VW air cooled 10 October 19th 05 02:04 PM
Fuel line leak at fuel rail [email protected] Technology 2 May 9th 05 01:33 AM