TJ 4 Way Flashers/Singal Lights

Old October 2nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default TJ 4 Way Flashers/Singal Lights

The 4 way flashers on my '97 TJ don't work.....nothing, no clicking or
anything else......I suspect the switch is at fault as in the past I have to
wiggle it to get it to work and then I have to wiggle the same switch to get
the signal lights to work again.

What is involved in changing this switch...it's behind the steering wheel
and it is covered by a large plastic "collar" that is decorative and covers
some other components.

Thanks...

dwk

Old October 4th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kevin in Iowa

I just changed out the switch on my 99XJ, not too bad, remove the
plastic
housing around the steering wheel (I forgot to mention, before you
start this
remove the negitave battery cable from the battery, don't want the
airbag
to go off) there are 4 screws holding the plastic around the together,
make
sure that you get them all out, or you will have a tough time taking it
apart.

With the cover removed (keep in mind, this is on a 99XJ, but they
shouldn't
be that much different.) there is two torx screws that hold the switch
to the
column, these need to be removed, on of them stays with the bracket,
with the
screws out slide the bracket off of the turn signal stalk. There are
two wiring
connectors on the back, kind of tough to get off because not a lot of
slack
in the wiring, pull the connectors off and then the switch will come
off, there are
two plastic things at the bottom of the switch that holds the bottom in
place
you will just need to "wiggle the switch" until it pops out.

If you don't have a switch yet, the dealer sells them for about $60,
takes about
an hour or so to do.

Kevin in Iowa
99XJ