is "voltimeter" even a word?!?!

Old September 5th 05, 11:16 AM
Happy Traveler

Sounds like you are describing a PCV valve (a part of the crankcase
ventillation system). In some applications they may provide a convenient
vacuum tap-off for another accessory, but probably not in your case. The
vacuum diagram label inside your engine compartment should show that very
clearly. Most likely someone just installed a 'universal' PCV valve, with an
extra port and did a poor job of capping it. Unmetered air ('vacuum leak')
sucked through there may cause unstable idling, explaining your fluctuating
voltage. Things might have gotten a lot more 'interesting' if something was
flapping around instead of just allowing a steady leak. Did you notice the
MIL (check engine light) turning on? The computer should have detected this
condition.

Old September 5th 05, 03:00 PM
Charlie Bress

There is one unused port on the vacuum distribution block. The tape fix is a
hack job. Any auto parts store will have an assortment of caps that will
solve that problem correctly.

Charlie

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 5th 05, 07:48 PM
Happy Traveler

The vacuum tree makes a lot of sense. I was reading the post as something
installed in the valve cover, and he probably meant 'to the rear of'. Not
familiar with the pushrod V6, but its PCV valve is probably somewhere else,
in a much harder to access location.
One way or another, unmetered air will wreak havoc on your idle. The ten
cents spent on a real vacuum cap are a good investment.

Old September 6th 05, 12:56 AM
nashjeff

I understand there is an extra port on the vacuum ditribution block and
that it should be plugged, but I do not understand why the electronic
fluctuations stopped entirely once it was unblocked. I allowed a few
minutes of idling so it would relearn the correct idle, as instructed in
my owner's manual. The gauge remained perfectly still. My assistant
plugged the port and the engine very nearly died and the gauge again went
haywire until it was unblocked. My check engine light has illuminated a
few times in three years, but always turns off after a few minutes or
engine restart. Help!

Old September 6th 05, 06:29 AM
Happy Traveler

I would risk a guess that your IAC (Idle Air Control) valve is clogged or
otherwise inoperative, and the air supplied through that open port is
keeping your engine idling. IAC failure is very common - use Google to
search posting on this group. Pulling trouble codes out of the computer
might be very helpful to confirm (Autozone and its siblings allegedly do
this for free in most states).
Oh wait a moment, did you say it was a 92? Autozone probably won't, but all
you need to read the codes is a paper clip. This link if for the Bronco, and
the location of the test connectors might be slightly different, but
otherwise still useful:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbron....html#TestPlug

Search google for 'EEC IV codes', and you will find more...

Old September 6th 05, 11:43 AM
Charlie Bress

There are code readers for 92s. I have one.

Charlie