Hard top opinions?

Old May 2nd 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default Hard top opinions?

Is there a consensus about the hard top?

On the one hand one can cite better weather protection in winter and
better defense against vandalism and theft if one has to park
outdoors/overnight.

On the other hand there is the issue of storage during the summer
months, and the additional purchase cost.

How many of you have the hard top, how many have regrets?

cheers

Don

Old May 2nd 10, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rob[_21_]

<Don> wrote:

> Is there a consensus about the hard top?
>
> On the one hand one can cite better weather protection in winter and
> better defense against vandalism and theft if one has to park
> outdoors/overnight.
>
> On the other hand there is the issue of storage during the summer
> months, and the additional purchase cost.
>
> How many of you have the hard top, how many have regrets?
>
> cheers
>
> Don

I'm in the UK and have a hardtop for my 1996 Eunos Roadster (Japanese
Domestic Market MX-5/Miata).

I wouldn't be without my it. It goes on in early winter (late
October/early November) and comes off March/April, depending on the
weather.

It's much more civilised in the winter, and much warmer inside too! The
car lives outside all the time, so the hardtop protects the hood (UK
English for roof!) from the worst of the weather.

Storage can be a problem! Fortunately we have a garden shed that's
located close to a wall, so I put the hardtop in its bag and hang it on
hooks screwed into the (wooden) shed between the shed and the brick
wall. I cover the nylon bag with plastic tarp for extra weather
protection - in the UK Spring/Summer does not mean wall-to-wall sunshine
:-)

I bought the hardtop on Ebay when I acquired my NA, it cost about £250
($350 or so) and I recently had it sprayed to the same colour as my car
- it was silver, which goes with just about any colour, but I wanted it
to match the Vin Rouge Mica colour of my VR-Limited Combination-A Eunos
Roadster (aka Merlot in non-JDM markets).

I know that some of the regulars here in the hotter parts of the States
put the hardtop on in high summer to get the full benefit of their
aircon :-)

If you have the storage space, go for a hardtop, especially if you can
pick up a genuine Mazda one second hand, like the one I found. If you
find that you don't use it, you'll easily get your money back, as (in
the UK ayway) there's a good market for s/h hardtops (cheap in the
summer, expensive in the winter) - buy at the right time and you're
laughing!

--
So many cats
So few recipes
Old May 2nd 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 5/2/2010 2:58 PM, Don Q wrote:
> Is there a consensus about the hard top?
>
> On the one hand one can cite better weather protection in winter and
> better defense against vandalism and theft if one has to park
> outdoors/overnight.
>
> On the other hand there is the issue of storage during the summer
> months, and the additional purchase cost.
>
> How many of you have the hard top, how many have regrets?
>
> cheers
>
> Don

When I bought my '91 I paid the extra for the hard top. When I traded it in
on a new MX-5 in 2006 I figure that it had probably been on the car for 30
days total. For me, at least, it was not worth the expense. But you should
note that the '91 probably only ever spent a couple of hundred nights
outdoors. That is why, at fifteen years of age, it still had the original
top in fine condition (although the plastic rear window had to be swapped out)

If I were considering a new MX-5 today I would certainly pay the extra for
the retractable hardtop but never for the removable.
Old May 2nd 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
John McGaw > wrote:

> If I were considering a new MX-5 today I would certainly pay the extra for
> the retractable hardtop but never for the removable.

Ditto here; I'm pretty sure the PRHT premium would be largely recouped
at resale.

If I had to use my Miata for a daily year-round commute, I would buy a
hardtop. But I have no more use for a hardtop than for all-season
tires--the car is always garaged, almost never parked is dubious areas
or driven under 40F, and the soft top is up only once or twice a year
when we get surprised by a shower.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 3rd 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-05-02, Don Q <Don> wrote:

> Is there a consensus about the hard top?

I love mine. The rear visibility is 100% better than the soft-top,
and it's definitely quieter (though mine no longer seals very well at
the backs of the windows). I wouldn't want to drive a Maita in the
winter without a hard-top. An NA with a hard-top is also a _very_
nice looking car. I can't really say the same about an NB, though.
The lines of the NB don't look right with a hard-top.

> On the one hand one can cite better weather protection in winter.

Not really. The increased visibility is great, and plastic
rear-windows get very fragile at -10F. But, unless your soft-top has
holes in it, there isn't really any difference in weather protection.
My soft-top actually seals a bit better around the windows than my
hard-top.

> and better defense against vandalism and theft if one has to park
> outdoors/overnight.

It's trivial to break into a Miata either with or without a hard-top.
It's not as easy to slash a hard-top, but you can probably put a rock
through one easily enough.

Never lock a Miata.

> On the other hand there is the issue of storage during the summer
> months, and the additional purchase cost.
>
> How many of you have the hard top, how many have regrets?

I never regretted mine for a second, and I kept it when I moved from
an NA to an NB.

--
Grant

Old May 3rd 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-05-02 16:51:48 -0400, John McGaw > said:

> When I bought my '91 I paid the extra for the hard top. When I traded
> it in on a new MX-5 in 2006 I figure that it had probably been on the
> car for 30 days total.

Interesting!

Is it because the soft top is adequate for your needs, or is it because
you are top down 90% of the time?

(I used to know an Alfa guy who pretended he didn't know there was a
top under the tonneau. LOL)

Old May 3rd 10, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

On 2010-05-02 19:12:11 -0400, Grant Edwards > said:

> Never lock a Miata.

Seriously? Do you have a secondary protection like lo-jack? Otherwise
isn't this an invitation for joy riders in the neighborhood? I realize
a door lock won't stop a pro thief, but ...

> I never regretted mine for a second, and I kept it when I moved from
> an NA to an NB.

I did not realize the two models used interchangeable tops. Good to
know! (But the third gen looks too different, so I am assuming you
can't keep it for another move.)

Old May 3rd 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards[_3_]

On 2010-05-03, Don Q <Don> wrote:
> On 2010-05-02 19:12:11 -0400, Grant Edwards > said:
>
>> Never lock a Miata.

> Seriously? Do you have a secondary protection like lo-jack?

It came with an alarm, but I never arm it. Miatas have used had
chipped keys for 6-8 years now.

> Otherwise isn't this an invitation for joy riders in the
> neighborhood?

From what I've read the theft rate for Miatas is very low. And nobody
steals car stereos anymore...

> I realize a door lock won't stop a pro thief, but...

If an ignition lock that requires an RFID chip in the key isn't going
to stop a joy rider, a Miata door lock sure isn't going to slow them
down.

Anybody with a coat hanger can open a locked Miata in 15 seconds.

Anybody with a brick can open a locked Miata in 5 seconds.

I accidentally locked my keys in the car once (the stupd "alarm"
system sometimes decides to arm/lock all on it's own -- which is
damned annoying). The guy from the locksmith company used a
fiberglass rod instead of a coat hanger, but he had the car open in a
few seconds.

If somebody wants to rifle around in my glovebox and then steal $3-4
worth of change from the cupholder, I'd just as soon they didn't smash
a window to do it.

If I have to leave something I don't want stolen in the car, I lock it
in the trunk.

>> I never regretted mine for a second, and I kept it when I moved from
>> an NA to an NB.

> I did not realize the two models used interchangeable tops.

It depends on the exact year/serial-number of the NB, but to move a
hardtop from an NA to an NB you generally have to change out the
"hook" parts on the front latches, and the rear window defogger
requires an adapter cable. Details can be found at:

http://miata.fosketts.net/index.php?...a_Hard_Top_FAQ

> Good to know! (But the third gen looks too different, so I am
> assuming you can't keep it for another move.)

Dunno.

I think my next Miata will probably be another NB.

--
Grant

Old May 3rd 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jim[_49_]

Rob wrote:
> <Don> wrote:
>
>> Is there a consensus about the hard top?
>>
>> On the one hand one can cite better weather protection in winter and
>> better defense against vandalism and theft if one has to park
>> outdoors/overnight.
>>
>> On the other hand there is the issue of storage during the summer
>> months, and the additional purchase cost.
>>
>> How many of you have the hard top, how many have regrets?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Don

Well, my wife has the Miata, and no hard-top. I have a 1996 BMW 328iC
that I bought in 2000, and did buy a hardtop from an EBay vendor within
driving distance the first year I had the car. Very, very nice in the
winter, gives me a lot better rear visibility, seals tight, quieter
driving at speed. We moved 5 years ago, new home has a large enough
garage to keep both convertibles. The soft top goes up only occaionally
(in summer to wash the car or if there is a shower when using the car).
I do have a stand for it that was low in cost. Only trouble is that I
need another adult male to help get it on and off the car - I might
eventually get a hoist for it. Right now, we just put it on between
mid-December and end of March, leave it off rest of the year.

Jim
Old May 3rd 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 5/2/2010 9:49 PM, Don Q wrote:
> On 2010-05-02 16:51:48 -0400, John McGaw > said:
>
>> When I bought my '91 I paid the extra for the hard top. When I traded
>> it in on a new MX-5 in 2006 I figure that it had probably been on the
>> car for 30 days total.

> Interesting!
>
> Is it because the soft top is adequate for your needs, or is it because
> you are top down 90% of the time?
>
> (I used to know an Alfa guy who pretended he didn't know there was a top
> under the tonneau. LOL)

The soft top was more than sufficient. And because I garaged the car almost
all the time it was never exposed to the intense sunlight which seems to be
the main factor which kills tops in the long run. I gave it no special care
rather than washing. After fifteen years the top looked as though it would
be good for at least five more. As for keeping the top down, the best I
ever managed was about thirty days straight (I lived in Alaska at the time
so this is a rather amazing run).

Opinions? NapalmHeart[_2_] Corvette 8 July 11th 09 02:38 PM
Any opinions on the X5? Ivan Marsh[_2_] BMW 16 September 22nd 08 07:15 AM
your opinions? [email protected] Honda 13 October 23rd 06 06:06 PM
Opinions on a BMW 325 Dan BMW 9 October 31st 04 02:13 PM