under the hood

Old April 25th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Professor[_2_]

Default under the hood

I just recently subscribed to this NG so forgive me if
this has been discussed many times before but.....

Why hasn't Mazda offered the more powerful engine from
the MazdaSpeed 3 for the Miata.
It seems to me a natural for those looking for a
"bigger bang".

Professor
Old April 25th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

> Why hasn't Mazda offered the more powerful engine from
> the MazdaSpeed 3 for the Miata.
> It seems to me a natural for those looking for a
> "bigger bang".

Who in their right mind out to buy a Japanese sports car wants to
drive a ford? (duck for cover)

The Duratec23/ Mazda 2.3l MZR, if my info is correct, is probably a
good engine. But I'll never know because I hate Ford with a flaming
passion. In fact, the last time I looked at a brand new Mazda 3 (non-
speed version but had the 2.3l engine) I found parts under the hood
with the Ford logo(!!), and parts that said FoMoCo(!) on them. And
unless I know every damn part of the car, transmission, and engine was
cast, machined, or otherwise made and assembled in Japan, I ain't
buying it. Ford builds 2.3l engines in Mexico, so how would one know,
with 100% certainty, that the engine in their car was not cast in
Mexico and assembled in Japan, etc.

The BP engines were only made in Japan and Korea(by Kia/HMC) if my
information is complete and accurate. And truth be told, I've pounded
the hell out of every BP I've owned(all three of them), put 115k on
one, and have yet to have a failure. A buddy of mine had a B6 in his
miata, and he drove the hell out of his too. He didn't even maintain
it very well...he drove it until the timing belt broke, had it fixed,
and drove the hell out of it some more. The same -cannot- be said for
that speed 3 engine. I read about those things throwing rods all the
time...

Chris

Old April 26th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 26/04/2010 5:51 a.m., Professor wrote:
> I just recently subscribed to this NG so forgive me if this has been
> discussed many times before but.....
>
> Why hasn't Mazda offered the more powerful engine from the MazdaSpeed 3
> for the Miata.
> It seems to me a natural for those looking for a "bigger bang".

People wanting a "bigger bang" should perhaps instead go buy a Boxster S
or some convertible boulevard cruiser with a big engine.
Honda made the S2000, - essentially just a Miata with more power - and
it was so commercially sucessful that they stopped making it.
Hopefully the next model Miata will keep to the roots of what made the
car an unprecedented success. Lightweight, reliable, and inexpensive.
Old April 26th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:51:56 -0700, Professor wrote:

> I just recently subscribed to this NG so forgive me if this has been
> discussed many times before but.....
>
> Why hasn't Mazda offered the more powerful engine from the MazdaSpeed
> 3 for the Miata. It seems to me a natural for those looking for a
> "bigger bang".

First of all, I agree with you. However, the folks responsible for the
Miata are very concerned with balance, with not having grip, or
horsepower, or whatever overwhelming the car. Me, I want a sportscar. I
don't care if it's loud or has a rough ride. I want good power, flat
cornering, all the rest of it. I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and am
seriously considering upgrades.

I would like to see a new Mazdaspeed, something with at least 250 hp and
handling to match. It would be a total home run for Mazda. With a turbo
and direct injection it could even be done without making it too much of
a gas hog.
Old April 26th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Hal" > wrote in message news:2b30e46f- The same -cannot-
be said for
> that speed 3 engine. I read about those things throwing rods all the
> time...
>

> Chris

Wow, you hate Ford with a PASSION! You sound like my wife ;-) She scraped
the front air dam off of our 1989 Taurus and ran over her bowling ball with
it and she has just never forgiven Ford for building such a troublesome car
;-) I am very surprised about your comment on the Speed3 engines, I'd love
to hear specifics. I've heard none of it and I have a good friend who has a
hopped up Mazda3 and follows the 3's and the Speed3's religiously and I
hadn't heard any such talk from him. Personally I think the Mazda / Ford
mairage was very well handled as far as these things go. Few have been
handled as well imho.

The 'other' Chris :-)
99BBB

Old April 26th 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Carbon" > wrote in message >
> I would like to see a new Mazdaspeed, something with at least 250 hp and
> handling to match. It would be a total home run for Mazda. With a turbo
> and direct injection it could even be done without making it too much of
> a gas hog.

Amen! The next MSM should be sweet if and when they do it!
Chris
99BBB

Old April 26th 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

> People wanting a "bigger bang" should perhaps instead go buy a Boxster S
> or some convertible boulevard cruiser with a big engine.

A guy at work has a boxster, don't know if it is the S level or not.
He told me how much it costs to get that thing serviced at the dealer
and it just blew me away. Talk about $$$, over $100 for an oil change.
I took him for a ride in my MSM and he said as far as performance
goes, the two were pretty much the same.

> Honda made the S2000, - essentially just a Miata with more power - and
> it was so commercially sucessful that they stopped making it.

Ugh..I only rode in one of those one time. Talk about a high-strung
motor. It's a wonder those things stay together.

> Hopefully the next model Miata will keep to the roots of what made the
> car an unprecedented success. *Lightweight, reliable, and inexpensive.

Amen to that.

Chris
Old April 26th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

> Wow, you hate Ford with a PASSION! You sound like my wife ;-) She scraped
> the front air dam off of our 1989 Taurus and ran over her bowling ball with
> it and she has just never forgiven Ford for building such a troublesome car

I watched my folks suffer through two of those abortions called a
Taurus and that sealed Ford's fate for me. I'll never own one. The '94
they had went through three transaxles in 70,000 miles before they
bailed out and bought a Camry. The only redeeming factor on that 94
Taurus was the air conditioning. It was totally kick-ass. The rest of
the car was a piece of junk. Ford, in their infinite wisdom, put the
oil filter directly above the starter, so every time you change the
oil you drown the starter with some dirty engine oil. Stupid, STUPID
design. It had the 3.0l engine.

> ;-) I am very surprised about your comment on the Speed3 engines, I'd love
> to hear specifics. I've heard none of it and I have a good friend who has a

Granted, a couple of the failures I read about were obvious abuse
cases, such as disconnected wastegates and 18 pounds of boost, and
then the kid owning said car wonders why the engine failed kind of
thing. But some of the failures just seemed out of the norm where
either the turbocharger failed or some other internal crankcase
component failed and wiped out the bottom end. I'll try to find the
link.

TTYL

Chris
Old April 26th 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Me[_12_]

On 26/04/2010 3:53 p.m., Hal wrote:

>> People wanting a "bigger bang" should perhaps instead go buy a Boxster S
>> or some convertible boulevard cruiser with a big engine.

> A guy at work has a boxster, don't know if it is the S level or not.
> He told me how much it costs to get that thing serviced at the dealer
> and it just blew me away. Talk about $$$, over $100 for an oil change.
> I took him for a ride in my MSM and he said as far as performance
> goes, the two were pretty much the same.

In that case /probably/ a standard 2.5 boxster. The "S" are fast enough
to scare the bejesus out of me.
My opinion on P cars is that as you're sitting on a financial time-bomb
waiting to go off as soon as serious engine work is needed (despite this
they can be very reliable long-lived engines if looked after), you may
as well get something special - something that scares you.

>> Honda made the S2000, - essentially just a Miata with more power - and
>> it was so commercially sucessful that they stopped making it.

> Ugh..I only rode in one of those one time. Talk about a high-strung
> motor. It's a wonder those things stay together.

They do though - it's an excellent engine. The truly butt-ugly interior
gets to me - I wouldn't have one for that reason alone. It's a shame
Honda let Dr Who design them, even if he is a pom.

Old April 26th 10, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Professor > wrote:

> I just recently subscribed to this NG so forgive me if
> this has been discussed many times before but.....
>
> Why hasn't Mazda offered the more powerful engine from
> the MazdaSpeed 3 for the Miata.
> It seems to me a natural for those looking for a
> "bigger bang".

There's no need. As with the previous Mazda Speed I believe the turbo
engine will be along when sales slow and not until.

The Usenet Improvement Project: