NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Old March 17th 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

In January of this year, I went to a NAPA store.I had already drank a
lot of coffee that morning and it was cold weather.As soon as I got to
that NAPA store, I needed to use the rest room, it was sort of an
emergency.They would not let me use their rest room.There is NO way on
Earth I will ever go to any NAPA store ever again! In my opinion, those
''people'' who work at that NAPA store discriminated against ME.If you
know what I mean?
There are plenty of other auto parts stores around here, I don't need
NAPA.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Some auto parts stores have parts other auto parts stores do not have.I
bought a set of RainX windshield wipers at O'Reilly's, they wouldn't on
my 1983 Dodge van.O'Reilly's didn't have any other windshield wipers
that would fit on my van.I went across the street to the Advance auto
parts store.The set of TRICO windshield wipers I bought there fit on my
van perfectly.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

phaeton wrote:
> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

NAPA branded parts are usually the second line MOOG or TRW parts, They
are considered second line because they are not branded as the TRW or
MOOG names. These would be the same as OEM parts they make. They also
sell the prime line from the big makers plus "OEM" parts.

Autozone sells three lines of parts. Store branded are generally imports
and are made by smaller companies. They may be high quality or they may
be crap, depends on which company made it. They are not all made by the
same company though. Then next step up are branded parts that are sold
in multiple chains but are not the OEM parts. Things like Spectra
radiators and Four Seasons A/C compressors. Then you get into the

O'Reilly, Shucks, Murray Discount Auto Parts, Checker, Kragen are all
owned by the same outfit. As such there parts are about the same. They
are DIY stores and sell three tiers of parts like Autozone does.

The differences are hard to see unless you strip down the parts.
The metals are NOT just metals. There are a LOT of different alloys out
there. Plus the actual machine work and how much machine work is done.
In the case of a DIYer who does his own labor the price may be the only
thing they look for. For a shop though having the warranty and faith in
the better parts is a good thing.

Personally I HATE having to re-do any repairs. So I tend to buy either
prime line or OEM parts. The thing with prime line is that they can be
better than the OEM parts EASILY.
As an example take a look at the gaskets used on the 4.3 and 5.7
engines. The OEM ones tend to fail due to the plastic cracking because
of the method of clamping them in the engine. When this started
happening a lot Fel_pro came out with a problem solver gasket. It uses a
better substrate to keep them from failing in those spots.
GM had to use up a TON of gaskets they already had before they started
using a new version.

--
Steve W.
Old March 17th 10, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:29:16 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> wrote:

>Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
>front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
>This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
>arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
>sides.
>
>At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
>O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
>parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
>case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
>differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
>rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
>by the same contractor.
>
>Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
>eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
>sounding to me than the store brands.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks.

I second Nate - price it out on www.rockauto.com I've bought a bunch
of stuff there. They usually have several levels of quality to chose
from and most of the time will beat the prices of even the discount
auto parts places with better quality parts.
Old March 17th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:29:16 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> > wrote:
>
>> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
>> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
>> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
>> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
>> sides.
>>
>> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
>> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
>> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
>> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
>> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
>> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
>> by the same contractor.
>>
>> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
>> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
>> sounding to me than the store brands.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks.

> I second Nate - price it out on www.rockauto.com I've bought a bunch
> of stuff there. They usually have several levels of quality to chose
> from and most of the time will beat the prices of even the discount
> auto parts places with better quality parts.

Nobody else in this thread said it, so I will- Stuff That Can Kill You
is not the place to cut corners. If the engine stops running, it is a
PITA, but seldom fatal. If the brakes, tires, or major
steering/suspension components fail catastrophically, it can easily
become a very bad day. If you are keeping a beater or classic running,
more power to you, but you have to pick and choose where to save a buck.
I'll do without the nice stereo or new fuzzy dice if I have to, but I
won't buy anything less than OEM or better for the important stuff. The
no-name stuff may be fine, or it may be crap- you never know. And even
if it was fine last time, it could be crap this time. The generics and
house brands change suppliers all the time.

--
aem sends...
Old March 17th 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

An old saying goes,,,
Sometimes it is more important to stop than keep on going.

Don't stint on the Important stuff.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
>
> There are plenty of other auto parts stores around here, I don't need
> NAPA.
> cuhulin

You especially dont need NAPA if you go with OEM parts, like you
recommended in your previous post..

Old March 18th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

Thanks for the suggestion of Rock Auto. I forgot about them, somehow.

Quality is what I wanted, and it turns out they can give me all Moog
parts for $340. That sounds like the way to go.
Now I just have to wait for warm weather.

Thanks!

-J
Old March 18th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Mar 18, 12:18*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion of Rock Auto. *I forgot about them, somehow.
>
> Quality is what I wanted, and it turns out they can give me all Moog
> parts for $340. *That sounds like the way to go.
> Now I just have to wait for warm weather.
>
> Thanks!

Warm weather officially started Tuesday, at least here. Time to go
shopping for a convertible...

nate

Old March 18th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

"N8N" > wrote in message

> Warm weather officially started Tuesday, at least here. Time to go
> shopping for a convertible...

I feel your pain. I am trying to be responsible for once, but I am
suffering from my wish I had a convertible itch. I haven't had one for
over three years and I still miss them. I was thinking I could pick up
a Saturn Sky cheap....

Ed