Just for Fun

Old March 5th 10, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default Just for Fun

"MikemanX" > wrote in message

> Only one: 1990 A, bought new, has 'bout 127k on it.
>
> Mike (the lurker)

Sweeeet! 20 years! How many wives have you gone thru in that period of time?

lol Chris
99BBB

Old March 5th 10, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
barry

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:26:28 -0600, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> wrote:

>Just to stir the pot a little, I'd love to hear how many Miatas folks have
>owned and approximately how many miles they have put on those Miatas.
>
>To start it off I can say that I've owned 2.
>- 1992 SE Black and Tan (put ~75k on it over ~5 yrs) and currently
>- 1999 Base model Black / Black / Black (so far have put about 72k over
>about 5 yrs)
>
>I'd love for everybody to chime in whether it's one Miata and the first
>thousand miles or 10 Miatas and many hundreds of thousands of miles (maybe
>928k miles on the odo ;-) Let me know!
>
>Chris
>99BBB

2:
- a '90 that went from 94k to 205k and was still going strong before
it got written off in an accident, someone else is driving it under
salvage title - i saw the car listed on ebay a few years back;
- a '94 since then 'til present, from 97k to 115k. i doubt i'll hit
200k on it, more likely to pass it on when it gets too tough to get in
and out on a regular basis;
Old March 5th 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Douglas Payne

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Douglas Payne" > wrote in message
>> 2003 1.8 UK 'Sport' with factory black heated leather, strut brace and
>> a set of Billy Stein's patented wobble reducers. I've owned it just
>> over 3 years and have done ~50k miles.

> Patented wobble reducers?! Tell me more!
> Chris
> 99BBB

Sorry, I don't know if the UK special editions tie in with the US ones
(I suspect they don't) but 'Billy Stein's patented wobble reducers' was
a way of saying that as my car is a UK 'Sport' special edition, it has
Bilstein shocks.

I have a strange sense of humour. (c:

--
Douglas
Old March 5th 10, 10:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Sounds good! You are in Europe? What country, if you don't mind me asking?

Croatia (heck you can even trace my street or something via IP in the
message )
Old March 5th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "KWS" > wrote in message
>
>> 1990 "B" - one owner; me - just passed 20 years; 221K miles
>>

> Very impressive! What color? Original (unopened, except timing belt and
> water pump of course) motor?
> Chris
> 99BBB

It is white and has the original engine. I am thinking about having
something "done" with it, although this decision is not being prompted
by wear out. It runs strong and has been through a bunch of timing belts
, water pumps, spark plug wires, etc.
Old March 5th 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

pws wrote:
> KWS wrote:
>
>> 1990 "B" - one owner; me - just passed 20 years; 221K miles

> That is impressive. How do you do you guys do it? I have never kept a
> car going for more than 7 years and maybe 90,000 miles. I can maintain
> them well enough, but there has always been an incident or a "need" for
> another vehicle, which meant more than two seats with the arrival of a
> child almost 19 years ago, then the swap back to a 2-seater and finally
> the plunge into Miatas never looking back in 1999.
>
> As it turns out, 2 seats was plenty about 6 months after the change to a
> larger vehicle since the family member number count went from two to
> three, and then back to two.
>
> Cars have never started out new for me, and the newest one, the 1996
> "M" edition Miata was purchased with 10,700 miles but by the time it
> reached 78,000 miles, it was taken out by a 60MPH encounter with the
> local wildlife.
>
> Getting 20 years and well over 200K miles out of one car is apparently
> just not within my abilities. Even 100K has never happened. :-)
>
> I have usually wanted the car gone in less than 10 years, with the sole
> exception so far being my '96M edition. I would probably still be
> driving it today if the accident had not occurred.
>
> Pat

Luck has something to do with it. I had a 2000 Audi A4 (Quattro) that
also was somewhat inspirational. It remained so until some clown rear
ended me and turned the title into "salvage". His little red nose didn't
even fall off.

Ken
Old March 5th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:26:28 -0600, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> wrote:

>Just to stir the pot a little, I'd love to hear how many Miatas folks have
>owned and approximately how many miles they have put on those Miatas.
>
>To start it off I can say that I've owned 2.
>- 1992 SE Black and Tan (put ~75k on it over ~5 yrs) and currently
>- 1999 Base model Black / Black / Black (so far have put about 72k over
>about 5 yrs)
>
>I'd love for everybody to chime in whether it's one Miata and the first
>thousand miles or 10 Miatas and many hundreds of thousands of miles (maybe
>928k miles on the odo ;-) Let me know!
>
>Chris
>99BBB

I'll answer your request and ask a question I've been meaning to ask
for a while...

2007 Red RHT 6 speed with 9k miles.

This car has been absolutely trouble free except for a rattle/buzz
behind the dash on the right side near the A/C vent. It makes a loud
buzzing sound whenever the engine is running at around 2300 RPM. Road
speed does not matter - only engine speed. (in other words, it
happens at a different road speed depending on which gear I have it
in).

If my passenger pushes on the dash while the noise is happening, she
can often make it stop. My guess is that there is a wire or hose of
some sort back in there that is close to something else. That piece
mechanically resonates at the virations caused by the engine running
at 2300 RPM.

Does anyone know how to get into that area without causing any damage?
I asked the dealer about it the last time it was in for an oil change.
They said they couldn't reproduce it. Sure enough, it did not make
the noise on the way home. However, the next time I drove, it started
again. Since then, it happens 90% of the time. Sometimes only right
at 2300 RPM. Sometimes from 2100 to 2500 RPM.

I know it's a minor issue, but it drives me crazy!

Pat

Old March 5th 10, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Douglas Payne wrote:

> Sorry, I don't know if the UK special editions tie in with the US ones
> (I suspect they don't) but 'Billy Stein's patented wobble reducers' was
> a way of saying that as my car is a UK 'Sport' special edition, it has
> Bilstein shocks.
>
> I have a strange sense of humour. (c:

Lol!

Pat
Old March 5th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

KWS wrote:

> Luck has something to do with it. I had a 2000 Audi A4 (Quattro) that
> also was somewhat inspirational. It remained so until some clown rear
> ended me and turned the title into "salvage". His little red nose didn't
> even fall off.
>
> Ken

I am one of those who if he didn't have bad luck, would have no luck at
all........

OK, not true all the time, but maybe so as it applies to my cars.

Pat
Old March 5th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

wrote:

> 2007 Red RHT 6 speed with 9k miles.
>
> This car has been absolutely trouble free except for a rattle/buzz
> behind the dash on the right side near the A/C vent. It makes a loud
> buzzing sound whenever the engine is running at around 2300 RPM. Road
> speed does not matter - only engine speed. (in other words, it
> happens at a different road speed depending on which gear I have it
> in).
>
> If my passenger pushes on the dash while the noise is happening, she
> can often make it stop. My guess is that there is a wire or hose of
> some sort back in there that is close to something else. That piece
> mechanically resonates at the virations caused by the engine running
> at 2300 RPM.
>
> Does anyone know how to get into that area without causing any damage?
> I asked the dealer about it the last time it was in for an oil change.
> They said they couldn't reproduce it. Sure enough, it did not make
> the noise on the way home. However, the next time I drove, it started
> again. Since then, it happens 90% of the time. Sometimes only right
> at 2300 RPM. Sometimes from 2100 to 2500 RPM.
>
> I know it's a minor issue, but it drives me crazy!
>
> Pat

I doubt if you will get an answer here, just not enough NC ownership
time yet for too much tear-down or repairs to have occurred yet. Just my
guess, I could be wrong.

I would ask this question on the forum at miata.net, you will probably
get help there.
Obviously, the dash needs to be opened up to look at what is loose, but
someone who has done it before should be able to give some pointers.

Would this be covered by warranty?

Good luck!

Another Pat