Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards OR Defying the Laws of Physics

Old December 29th 07, 09:27 PM posted to talk.politics.misc, sci.environment, rec.autos.driving,can.politics, alt.politics.democrats

Default Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards OR Defying the Laws of Physics

The new gas mileage standards mandated
by the recently passed energy legislation
defy the laws of physics...but Democrats,
including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
don't seem to care.
---===0===---

Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards
By Jack Ward
December 29, 2007

The other day I took my Toyota Sienna van in for a
smog check. While I was waiting, I heard the news
that our Congress Critters were about to pass new
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFÉ) standards.
The new fuel efficiency law will require manufacturers
to meet a fleet wide average of 35 miles per gallon for
cars, SUV's, and small trucks. A fleet average of 35
mpg is a 40% increase in fuel mileage over the
existing requirement. My van gets an average of 20+
mpg and can carry 6 passengers and luggage in
comfort. My wife drives a Honda Civic which gets 30+
mpg. But neither of our vehicles would meet the new
congressional requirements. It is obvious that the
CAFÉ standards would effectively outlaw most
current cars, vans, trucks, and SUVs.

So I began to wonder what vehicle would get an
average of 35 mpg. Since I was at a Toyota dealership
and Toyota has been a leader in fuel efficient vehicles,
I started checking out the vehicles on the lot. The
standard cars and small trucks failed immediately.
Then I spotted the smallest car on the lot, a
sub-compact Yaris. But even the sub-compact Yaris
failed the Congress Critters new efficiency
requirements. The Yaris had a maximum 36 mpg on
the highway, but its combined city and highway
average was below the required 35 mpg. The Toyota
Camry Hybrid also failed the new CAFÉ standards.
The only car that met the new CAFÉ standards was
the Prius Hybrid.

The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
energy used to perform useful work. So by
legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
of Thermodynamics. Congressional leaders were
warned that the mandated changes may not be
technologically or economically possible. But the
enlightened Democrat leaders disagreed. House
Speaker Nancy Pelosi, (D-Ca.), was heavily involved
in crafting the legislation and declared that "It's
groundbreaking in what it will do." She is right. I
wonder if she also plans to rewrite the Law of Gravity.

In a previous column I addressed the prototypical
micro-car envisioned by the Congress Critters - the
Smart Car 'ForTwo'. The Smart Car 'ForTwo' is about
4 feet shorter and 1,000 pounds lighter than a Mini
Cooper, so it isn't suitable for soccer moms.
Throughout the 1950's and 60's manufacturers offered
micro-cars but the public wasn't interested. But our
Congress Critters know best and will now require you
to drive one.

Researchers at Harvard University and the Brookings
Institution found that these micro-cars are not as safe
as the current U.S. fleet. Their research found that for
every 100 pounds shaved off cars to meet CAFÉ
standards between 440 and 780 additional people
were killed in auto accidents. This means that an
additional total of 2,200 to 3,900 lives will be lost per
model year. Adrian Lund, of the Insurance Institute
for Highway Safety said, "Fatalities are much higher
with small, lightweight vehicles." Politicians are
force-feeding the micro-cars on the American public
even if that means these vehicles will be less safe.

But what kind of cars do our Congress Critters have?
Spies in Washington DC tell us the congressional
parking lot is filled with large sedans, SUV's, and
trucks. While there are a few economy cars in the lot,
the estimated mileage for the cars in the lot is less
than 20 mpg. But don't expect to see Ted Kennedy
in a Smart Car because we know that politicians reek
with hypocrisy. They exempt themselves from the
very laws they expect us to follow. So, rest assured
that the Congress Critters will not be driving the
micro-cars that they will require you to drive. This is
supposed to be the 'Land of the Free' so why should
Americans be denied the opportunity to choose the
vehicle that meets their needs?

The New Media Journal.us (c) 2007
Old December 29th 07, 09:38 PM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
Kurt Lochner

Default Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards, leotard78spwhines again..

AKA sniveled ineptly:

>The new gas mileage standards mandated
>by the recently passed energy legislation
>defy the laws of physics..

leotard, you don't know any physics to speak of..

--Your 'appeal to authority' is meaningless in this case..
Old December 30th 07, 08:30 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
V-for-Vendicar

AKA sniveled ineptly:
>>The new gas mileage standards mandated
>>by the recently passed energy legislation
>>defy the laws of physics..

Which ones? The Universal Law of Lobbyest Influence Peddeling?

Old December 30th 07, 09:02 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
V-for-Vendicar

> wrote
> "The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
> based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
> energy used to perform useful work. So by
> legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
> our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
> of Thermodynamics."

Over 30 teams from the U.S., Canada, India and Bahrain participated in the
SAE's annual mileage competition June 7-8, 2007 in Marshall, Michigan. The
competition requires the development and construction of a single person,
fuel efficient vehicle. All vehicles must be powered by a small four-cycle
engine, have a minimum of three wheels, and the driver must be fully
enclosed to prevent contact with the ground. The winner is based on a
combination of best fuel economy and points from technical inspections of
the vehicles. The 2006 winner, the University of British Columbia, achieved
a record 3,145 miles per gallon!

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/mostEfficient.shtml

Old December 30th 07, 09:10 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, V-for-Vendicar wrote:

> wrote
>> "The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
>> based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
>> energy used to perform useful work. So by
>> legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
>> our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
>> of Thermodynamics."

> Over 30 teams from the U.S., Canada, India and Bahrain participated in the
> SAE's annual mileage competition June 7-8, 2007 in Marshall, Michigan. The
> competition requires the development and construction of a single person,
> fuel efficient vehicle. All vehicles must be powered by a small four-cycle
> engine, have a minimum of three wheels, and the driver must be fully
> enclosed to prevent contact with the ground. The winner is based on a
> combination of best fuel economy and points from technical inspections of
> the vehicles. The 2006 winner, the University of British Columbia, achieved
> a record 3,145 miles per gallon!

These vehicles are completely irrelevant to anything useful for
transportation on public roads.

They are as I recall a recombent bicycle with an ICE that runs at full
throttle and then coasts, rinse and repeat.

Old December 30th 07, 10:22 AM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
What Me Worry?

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, V-for-Vendicar
> wrote:
>>
> wrote
>>> "The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
>>> based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
>>> energy used to perform useful work. So by
>>> legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
>>> our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
>>> of Thermodynamics."

>> Over 30 teams from the U.S., Canada, India and Bahrain participated in
>> the
>> SAE's annual mileage competition June 7-8, 2007 in Marshall, Michigan.
>> The
>> competition requires the development and construction of a single person,
>> fuel efficient vehicle. All vehicles must be powered by a small
>> four-cycle
>> engine, have a minimum of three wheels, and the driver must be fully
>> enclosed to prevent contact with the ground. The winner is based on a
>> combination of best fuel economy and points from technical inspections of
>> the vehicles. The 2006 winner, the University of British Columbia,
>> achieved
>> a record 3,145 miles per gallon!

> These vehicles are completely irrelevant to anything useful for
> transportation on public roads.

The point is made: 40% increase in fuel efficiency standards isn't even
coming close to maximum theoretical efficiency. It's a pitiful increase,
which has already been achieved in production vehicles today (they'll just
have to stop making the inefficient vehicles - problem solved).

> They are as I recall a recombent bicycle with an ICE that runs at full
> throttle and then coasts, rinse and repeat.

Well, they sure as hell aren't Hummer H2's, that's for sure. So sorry if
that ****es off the irresponsible and the stupid; but automobiles are gonna
change - finally - to MUCH more fuel-efficient designs. By orders of
magnitude. When gasoline hits $10/gallon, the market for SUV's will approach
zero, while buyers for the 300MPG hybrids (ready for production right now)
will be on a 2-year waiting list.

Old December 30th 07, 11:15 AM posted to sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.democrats
Eeyore

Kurt Lochner wrote:

> AKA sniveled ineptly:
> >
> > So I began to wonder what vehicle would get an
> > average of 35 mpg. Since I was at a Toyota dealership
> > and Toyota has been a leader in fuel efficient vehicles,
> > I started checking out the vehicles on the lot.

I'll make a very simple statement: The Toyota Yaris D-4D is a
staggeringly good little car.... I have never driven another car that
could happily tootle along at 80–90mph, nip past obstructive drivers in
old-shape Merc CL500 coupes, and still take me 63 miles on a gallon of
diesel.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=52

OK that's a UK gallon but it's still 50.4 US mpg !

Diesel engines are a large part of the answer. The USA has an irrational
fear of them though. Modern European diesel engine design is making even
SPORTY diesels possible. They have exceptional torque which most drivers
like too.

Graham

Old December 30th 07, 11:20 AM posted to sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.democrats
Eeyore

V-for-Vendicar wrote:

> > wrote
> > "The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
> > based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
> > energy used to perform useful work. So by
> > legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
> > our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
> > of Thermodynamics."

> Over 30 teams from the U.S., Canada, India and Bahrain participated in the
> SAE's annual mileage competition June 7-8, 2007 in Marshall, Michigan. The
> competition requires the development and construction of a single person,
> fuel efficient vehicle. All vehicles must be powered by a small four-cycle
> engine, have a minimum of three wheels, and the driver must be fully
> enclosed to prevent contact with the ground.

But these are CLOWN cars.

You're sending out entirely the wrong idea if you think that's the only future.

Graham

Old December 30th 07, 12:17 PM posted to talk.politics.misc,sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,can.politics,alt.politics.democrats
Greg Carr[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:02:11 -0800, "V-for-Vendicar"
> wrote:

> wrote
>> "The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is
>> based on total energy of the fuel and the amount of
>> energy used to perform useful work. So by
>> legislating a fuel efficiency increase of about 40%,
>> our Congress Critters were attempting to rewrite Laws
>> of Thermodynamics."

>Over 30 teams from the U.S., Canada, India and Bahrain participated in the
>SAE's annual mileage competition June 7-8, 2007 in Marshall, Michigan. The
>competition requires the development and construction of a single person,
>fuel efficient vehicle. All vehicles must be powered by a small four-cycle
>engine, have a minimum of three wheels, and the driver must be fully
>enclosed to prevent contact with the ground. The winner is based on a
>combination of best fuel economy and points from technical inspections of
>the vehicles. The 2006 winner, the University of British Columbia, achieved
>a record 3,145 miles per gallon!
>
>http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/mostEfficient.shtml

Way to go UBC!! Were number one were number one11111111111111111
Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!!

Coping with trucks on the road richard Driving 10 October 5th 06 06:06 AM
Laws for Kennedys vs. laws for the rest of us laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 10 May 9th 06 07:57 PM
SAE Horsepower Standards To Change [email protected] Ford Mustang 39 August 8th 05 12:25 AM
O.T. Standards FrankW Jeep 0 March 29th 05 03:32 PM
Emission standards Remco BMW 0 December 27th 04 05:19 PM