Renting a Jetta or Passat?

Old December 17th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Default Renting a Jetta or Passat?

The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
passengers in a crash
http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
for the driving I do these days.

However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
when checking these cars on the showroom.

Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
agency, and where?

For your on-topic comments, thank you kindly.

Old December 17th 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

"John Bartley" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.
>
> However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
> is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
> decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
> half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
> when checking these cars on the showroom.
>
> Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
> agency, and where?
>
> For your on-topic comments, thank you kindly.

Not sure about Passats but I believe Enterprise is renting Jettas now.

Some VW dealers also might rent out cars too.

Old December 17th 05, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

John Bartley wrote:
> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.
>
> However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
> is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
> decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
> half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
> when checking these cars on the showroom.
>
> Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
> agency, and where?
>
> For your on-topic comments, thank you kindly.

I don't know that anyone rents them, but I'd recommend a Jetta - VWs
traditionally have lots of passenger space, and the Jetta has
traditionally been less problematic than the Passat.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 17th 05, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

"John Bartley" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.
>
> However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
> is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
> decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
> half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
> when checking these cars on the showroom.
>
> Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
> agency, and where?
>
> For your on-topic comments, thank you kindly.

Do not know who rents here, but Avis in Italy does. Rented a Jetta TDI
diesel last year. Not as comfortable as my Chevy Crewcab truck, but was
actually very nice. And I am 6'4". The diesel ran like a gas engine. No
rattle, and ran 145 lph (95 mph) down the highway with plenty of power to
spare, and got very good milage.

Old December 17th 05, 07:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Rent? Are there no local VW dealers willing to let you take a test
drive, for free?

K.
Old December 17th 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

In article .com>,
"John Bartley" > wrote:

> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.
>
> However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
> is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
> decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
> half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
> when checking these cars on the showroom.
>
> Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
> agency, and where?

You didn't say where in the world you are located. Try asking a local VW
dealer for a rental or a referral to a local agency where you can rent
VW vehicles.
Old December 17th 05, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

""Király"" > wrote in message
> Rent? Are there no local VW dealers willing to let you take a test drive,
> for free?

he's probably looking to try one out for a couple of days and not just 10
minutes.

Old December 17th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

In rec.autos.driving John Bartley > wrote:
> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.

I'd say get an 'old' (1998-2005) Passat. It has a better AWD system for
handling and has better weight distribution. Your dealer might even still
have a few in stock and be more than willing to get rid of them for under
cost since they're "last year's model" (but IMHO a better car than the
current Passat).

-Andrew
Old December 17th 05, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

John Bartley wrote:
> The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> passengers in a crash
> http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> for the driving I do these days.
>
> However, I'm fussy about cars; seating is very important, for my wife
> is 5'1" yet I'm 6'3" with a long inseam. Because of injuries &
> decriptude, I have to fully stretch my legs for a few moments every
> half hour or so (cruise control is a blessing), which sems to work OK
> when checking these cars on the showroom.
>
> Where might I rent either? Anyone here rented one? If so, which rental
> agency, and where?
>
> For your on-topic comments, thank you kindly.

If stretch room for someone 6'3" is a primary concern then the Passat
and even more so the Jetta will be a bit cramped in my experience as
someone who is 6'. I test drove both as well as several other cars
last year before settling on a Volvo V70.

You might want to look at something larger like one of the 4 door
sedans from Chevy or Ford. Also, the Toyota Avalon seemed to have a
good amount of stretch room when I test drove one last year.

Old December 17th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.autos.driving,rec.travel.usa-canada,alt.consumers.experiences

Andrew Szafran wrote:

> In rec.autos.driving John Bartley > wrote:
> > The IIRC 'silver' rating of these sedans for protecting driver &
> > passengers in a crash
> > http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html
> > has me looking at them to replace my '95 4Runner, which is now overkill
> > for the driving I do these days.

> I'd say get an 'old' (1998-2005) Passat. It has a better AWD system for
> handling and has better weight distribution. Your dealer might even still
> have a few in stock and be more than willing to get rid of them for under
> cost since they're "last year's model" (but IMHO a better car than the
> current Passat).

I know somone who bought that model and had to sell it because he found the
seats intolerably uncomfortable.

If you like great seats I can recommend Saab.

Graham