Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

Old October 17th 18, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Drago Giambattista Esposito

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.

The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
replacement.

Can I run by you my first list?

1. Oil & filter Change
10. Engine replacement

2. Air & cabin air filter replacement
3. Flush & replace all fluids
4. Belt & tensioner replacement
5. Alternator & battery replacement
6. Brakes & struts overhauled
7. Cooling system overhaul
8. Starter replacement
9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement

How does that list look as a first pass?
Old October 17th 18, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Dean Hoffman[_5_]

On 10/16/18 8:07 PM, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> replacement.
>
> Can I run by you my first list?
>
> 1. Oil & filter Change
> 10. Engine replacement
>
> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> 8. Starter replacement
> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
> How does that list look as a first pass?

Tires.
Body work?
Lights.
Old October 17th 18, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/18 12:07 pm, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> replacement.
>
> Can I run by you my first list?
>
> 1. Oil & filter Change
> 10. Engine replacement
>
> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> 8. Starter replacement
> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
> How does that list look as a first pass?

You have missed the first and most important requirement, a *workshop
manual*, even a Haynes. Actually, a Haynes manual is all you're likely
to be able to get hold of these days as a lot of the factory manuals
come on CD and/or subscription.

An example, a friend decided to service his own car. religiously did all
the common stuff, oil, filters, flushes, etc. One day the timing belt
snapped. Had he changed the belt according to the service schedule book?
What book was the response. The obvious answer then was, no, not
according to the factory schedule. And thereby hangs a cautionary tale.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old October 17th 18, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/18 12:20 pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On 10/16/18 8:07 PM, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a
>> list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

> Â*Â*Â*Â* Tires.
> Â*Â*Â*Â* Body work?
> Â*Â*Â* Lights.

0. Purchase manual and *study it* before touching *anything*.

Old October 17th 18, 02:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Dean Hoffman[_5_]

On 10/16/18 8:30 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 17/10/18 12:07 pm, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a
>> list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

> You have missed the first and most important requirement, a *workshop
> manual*, even a Haynes. Actually, a Haynes manual is all you're likely
> to be able to get hold of these days as a lot of the factory manuals
> come on CD and/or subscription.

And along those lines, YouTube. There are quite a few guys showing
"How to .............................." on YouTube. Some of the
repair guides are pretty good.
And they're free.
Old October 17th 18, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>
> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a list
> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
> replacement.
>
> Can I run by you my first list?
>
> 1. Oil & filter Change
> 10. Engine replacement
>
> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
> 7. Cooling system overhaul
> 8. Starter replacement
> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>
> How does that list look as a first pass?

Your list is a good as any.
IMO, most people could not do any of those due to a lack of knowledge, skill,
time, tools, desire, or a place to work.

Old October 17th 18, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/18 12:37 pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> On 10/16/18 8:30 PM, Xeno wrote:
>> On 17/10/18 12:07 pm, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>>
>>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a
>>> list
>>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car,
>>> starting
>>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>>> replacement.
>>>
>>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>>
>>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>>> 10. Engine replacement
>>>
>>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>>> 8. Starter replacement
>>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>>
>>> How does that list look as a first pass?

>> You have missed the first and most important requirement, a *workshop
>> manual*, even a Haynes. Actually, a Haynes manual is all you're likely
>> to be able to get hold of these days as a lot of the factory manuals
>> come on CD and/or subscription.

> Â*Â*Â*Â* And along those lines,Â* YouTube.Â*Â* There are quite a few guys showing
> "How to .............................."Â* on YouTube.Â*Â* Some of the
> repair guides are pretty good.
> And they're free.

Yes, agreed, but some of those are potential disasters. You need to be
able to sort the wheat from the chaff with those videos and I'm not sure
a tyro could adequately do that.

Old October 17th 18, 02:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 17/10/18 12:46 pm, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
> Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a
>> list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

> Your list is a good as any.
> IMO, most people could not do any of those due to a lack of knowledge,
> skill,
> time, tools, desire, or a place to work.

True that!

Old October 17th 18, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Joe[_135_]

On 10/16/2018 9:20 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
> Tires.

↑↑↑
This! Spare tire air pressure check.
Mine was flat when I needed it despite multiple routine service checks by the ****ing dealership's award-winning service department.
The ****ers always ticked the box on the service sheet but no air ever made it into the spare tire.Â* Apparently they're too ****ing lazy to open the trunk.
Old October 17th 18, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

> Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
>> I'm taking a night class on auto maintenance in adult school.
>> There is no grade and no tests. Just learning. And fun.
>>
>> The teacher asked today, the first class, for us to bring next week a
>> list
>> of the 10 things that people can do at home to repair their car, starting
>> with number 1 being an oil change and number 10 being an engine
>> replacement.
>>
>> Can I run by you my first list?
>>
>> 1. Oil & filter Change
>> 10. Engine replacement
>>
>> 2. Air & cabin air filter replacement 3. Flush & replace all fluids
>> 4. Belt & tensioner replacement
>> 5. Alternator & battery replacement
>> 6. Brakes & struts overhauled
>> 7. Cooling system overhaul
>> 8. Starter replacement
>> 9. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
>>
>> How does that list look as a first pass?

Not a bad list, but I'm not sure how you got the pairings. #6 combines
brakes and struts. They both require taking off a wheel, but are
usually not done together.

Clutch and engine replacement are borderline home repair. I know a few
people that can do it, but very few.

I see no mention of spark plugs.